Rider Ratings

tigastt

I am so confused with the rider ratings, does everyone here gives out 5 star ratings ? I think I have to start giving cheap customers 1 star because they can't really appreciate UBER... NO tips not even a damn thank you

tradedate

Welcome to the forum! I recommend you search for the existing threads on rating passengers, tipping, etc. This topic has been discussed at length already.

Some drivers automatically rate the rider 5 *'s unless they did something significantly bad. The thinking is that you can't penalize someone when they've been told by Uber that tipping is not necessary. And some drivers who don't know any better, may have told them the same thing on previous trips.

Others won't rate a non-tipper 5*. The thinking is that common sense says if you paid $6 for a trip, with part of that going to the big "U", there couldn't have been a tip included for the driver.

Some drivers will also deduct for poor passenger performance such as:
  • Not being ready to go when the driver arrives
  • Smelling really bad
  • Eating in the car
  • General Rudeness
The purpose is to let other drivers know what to expect when picking up a rider. A very low rated pax may be avoided.

nuggetnut

when you drop off say a forty something man & woman and have to drive about a 1/4 mile up their drive to a seven figure home for an $8 fare and all's you get is careful turning around, that's a 3 tops in my book..even if they were nice people.. College kids.. forggetaboutit. From what I've experienced it's the working class people who are the tippers. Even if it's a few buck it's a nice gesture...

Limovan

Yup, anyone who earns tips for a living almost always tip. Some college students do tip. Had a trip to the airport with some temple students and I actually got a tip.

You need to learn to not even think about a tip. I had one pax tell me, "Even though the website tells me not to tip you, here's a 5." If you're an Uber driver looking for tips, you're driving for the wrong company. As someone else said, it's usually the working class that tips the most.

MotownUberDriver

FWIW:

You shouldn't be rating people bad because they don't tip. You can thank uber for that. Not really rider's fault. Uber rams this "no tip necessary" stuff right down their throats.

However, things I mark down for are...
  • Pin dropping (when grossly inaccurate), sending me to incorrect address, because they are too lazy/oblivious to actually look at info when requesting ride
  • Not letting me know where they are when they are at great Lakes crossing, malls, whatever. They drop pin in middle of the mall, and think that's ok. Waste of time having to text them. If they don't respond to texts or calls, I just cancel. Wild goose chase? Naa I'm good on that....
  • Absurdly short trips (mainly so I don't get paired with them again). However, a tip makes this ok.
  • Rude attitude
  • Elitist snobs who act like I am some untouchable peasant.
  • Making me wait - and I cancel after 5.5 minutes, and whack em for $5. I am not your "private driver". Can't really stress this one enough. Get out to the car you entitled f***wad...
  • Making out/getting fresh in my back seat. Had a 15 minute ride, and I had to check for stains after they left - 1 star.
  • Slamming doors
  • Unsavory/racist/douchbag conversation that's offensive.
  • Insisting on giving me turn by turn, then not being attentive, letting me pass turns, expecting me to turn right at last second without warning, etc.
  • Asking me to speed or break laws.
  • Being really drunk/high/obnoxious
  • Obviously puking or damaging my vehicle in any way.
  • Eating in my car without asking.
  • Stinky riders, some of them wear oils and I fear they will contaminate my car somehow. Reeking of weed.
  • People who try to bring babies with no car seat. WTF. Who does that? Really?
  • Assorted other crap I can't think of ATM.

Don't get me wrong, I am a softie. If people are respectful and friendly, I will usually give them 5 stars. I don't slam people that often. But some riders are just so selfish, rude, and plain bad. Don't treat me poorly. I am a human being, just like a rider.

Tips are always appreciated. They will assure better ratings. But I don't slam people for not tipping.

And my default schpeel for accepting a tip goes something like this:

"Oh, you didn't have to do that! Thanks! That's so nice of you!"

If they ask if they can tip:

"Well, Uber's official policy is that it's not necessary. However, we sure do appreciate it!"

That's about all I can think of. I know this has been discussed before probably. I have never given my thoughts on this matter though.

vicdella80

would there be a problem with putting up a sign that says tips are appreciated? been thinking of putting one up for a while

Thatendedbadly

FWIW:

You shouldn't be rating people bad because they don't tip. You can thank uber for that. Not really rider's fault. Uber rams this "no tip necessary" stuff right down their throats.

Well, no, Uber mentions the subject of tipping once, you know the line, there's no need to tip.
The mobile app doesn't say anything about tipping.

Like the other things you mentioned as possible rationales for down rating a pax, tipping is something that is entirely in the control of the pax. If it weren't, my tip rate would be 0%. So, non-tippers get 4 stars unless they happen to be paying an outrageous surge fare, something that's never happened to me in these parts. And the rest-around 90%-get a maximum of 4 stars with few exceptions.

MotownUberDriver

Well, no, Uber mentions the subject of tipping once, you know the line, there's no need to tip.
The mobile app doesn't say anything about tipping.

Like the other things you mentioned as possible rationales for down rating a pax, tipping is something that is entirely in the control of the pax. If it weren't, my tip rate would be 0%. So, non-tippers get 4 stars unless they happen to be paying an outrageous surge fare, something that's never happened to me in these parts. And the rest-around 90%-get a maximum of 4 stars with few exceptions.

Yeah this is a good point.

A week ago, I made at least $60 from tips in a few hours. Back to back tippers. Since then, I don't even know if I've had any.

However, 90%+ do not tip at all.

BenG

when you drop off say a forty something man & woman and have to drive about a 1/4 mile up their drive to a seven figure home for an $8 fare and all's you get is careful turning around, that's a 3 tops in my book..even if they were nice people.. College kids.. forggetaboutit. From what I've experienced it's the working class people who are the tippers. Even if it's a few buck it's a nice gesture...
Picked up some PAX last night, drove them from Ardmore to Norristown, with a stop at a Wawa. He told me he was a server at a nice restaurant that I drove by. You'd think someone who relies on tips to make a living would tip an UBER driver, at least that's what I expected. Nothing doing.

MotownUberDriver

Picked up some PAX last night, drove them from Ardmore to Norristown, with a stop at a Wawa. He told me he was a server at a nice restaurant that I drove by. You'd think someone who relies on tips to make a living would tip an UBER driver, at least that's what I expected. Nothing doing.

I feel that Uber has shaped the dynamics and customs of the Uber experience with their advertisements.

For example, I took an Uber home from the airport when I returned from Vegas in november. I had never used Uber, nor had I thought about driving for them at the time.

One of the things I remember, was uber repeatedly saying that no tip is needed with the app. However, I tipped the driver $20 for the 55 mile run.

I think many passengers honestly feel a tip is not required at all. It will be very difficult to change public opinion on this matter.

There are results on Google suggesting tipping with Uber, from bloggers, magazines, etc. But, I don't think many people will ever see them.