1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Rider Pings: How "close" is close?

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Retired Senior, Jan 12, 2017.

1. Retired Senior

Retired Senior Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    So lately I have been loitering at the Bridgeport Train Station for twice the time that I spent a month ago. I am aware of the real, licensed taxis, and the people picking up family members. I watch the 3 empty Police vehicles and wonder why they need 3 cars.... couldn't they meet at the Bpt Police headquarters and ride in 1 car?

I also notice the illegal cab drivers, who seek out confused people hoping for a taxi. I wish that I could hear those conversations!

Finally I see a young woman come out of the doorway which has 525 Water Street emblazoned above it, and she looks about. She sees the black SUV in front of me and checks her phone. She then opens the rear door and gets into the other car.

Now I realize that this other driver could be a Lyft driver, but it got me thinking.... I have always kept a car length or two away from the main doors because I felt like people picking up family members had more of a "right" to block that area with their cars. I never thought that 20 feet mattered. But now I am wondering.... How precise is the determination of "the closest driver get the first ping"? Do I need to be literally on top of the front doors to get that first ping? (Have I been screwing myself by being a "nice" guy?)

I really would appreciate your thoughts on this! :confused:

2. JimKE

JimKE Well-Known Member

Lots of reasons. Lots of police departments park empty police vehicles at transportation locations to make it look like there are more officers there than really are. They could also be working different or overlapping shifts. Any place where coverage should always be there would require overlaps. One could be a supervisor. Numerous reasons.

Possibly. I don't know how close is close, but I know at some crowded venues drivers park their cars and walk over closer to where the customers are in the hope of getting a ping quicker.

I have no idea how precise the ride assignment system is, but judging from some pin-drops I've seen, I'm thinking it's kind of a ballpark thing.

Retired Senior likes this.
  3. MikesUber

MikesUber Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Great question, if there is a very high surge and an equal amount of driver saturation then competition in high. With a large amount of drivers surge may drop quickly unless a massive event is letting out. During these high surge times it can feel like a crazy competitiveness to nab a maxed out surge rate. During these times I've even done what JimKE states below because at least for me, I feel like Uber's request system is very accurate for driver vicinity.

Now let's revisit your example, when other drivers stage in these areas I would watch my passenger app closely. Are drivers sitting right at the door? If so how many? Any driver that gets inbetween me and potential passengers reduces or eliminates my request radius that I can get pinged from.

Watch if they are getting requests, are drivers disappearing from the pax app (if you cannot see the main doors)? The drivers that are staging at the door, are they being pushed out by staff members or are they unbothered?

Remember, it is not necessarily where the front doors are it is where the passengers are within the building. This is where knowing the actual facilities help, where inside the building are they likely to request from? A good example of this is bars, sitting at the front doors is great, but sometimes sitting next to the building is even better as guests are deeper within the facility.

Weighing all the factors above you should be able to judge if it's better to stage just outside of the main entrance or if the main entrance is the best place to stage.

JimKE and Retired Senior like this.
  4. Amsoil Uber Connect

Amsoil Uber Connect Well-Known Member

And then there is this, Say your last weekly rating is 4.9 or higher and the driver sitting in front of you is 4.85 . You most likely will get the request b4 they do.

Plus it doesn't to get out and stretch your legs while walking ahead of another.

5. Retired Senior

Retired Senior Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Thanks for the feedback! :)

MikesUber likes this.

6. MikesUber

MikesUber Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Is this theory or is there proof of this?

7. Amsoil Uber Connect

Amsoil Uber Connect Well-Known Member

All I can say is, I read it here, then it happened to me at JWA ap. Then at the Metro Link last week.

Ya it's hard to prove.