Rider notification (inbuilt timer)

Angad

So since this morning i've realised that theres an inbuilt timer i.e (5 mins wait time) which starts after u've reached the pin for the pickup. Is it fairly new or has it been there for a while?

Rope Ninja

Still really, really hate you Uber...but need to give credit where it's fairly due. This 'timer' feature is exactly what has been needed to address this issue fairly & elegantly. But what regulatly mystifies me about Uber is, why did this obvious step take so long to develope and arrive. Bit like finally 'geo-fencing' Adel Airport last year with a timer-trigger (first-in first-served...Uber Black related). You can't tell me little-old Adel Airport was the catalyst & venue for such innovation, after all the airports around the world before us that que-jumping drivers would have operated (e.g. the cowboys who left their cars parked and wandered inside terminals to be closer to the pax's when they requested, etc). Makes me wonder about how Ubers internal operations & protocols are rolled-out. Uber so often make one feel like the donkey being controlled by the carrot-on-string mechanism. Still hate you much more than luv you Uber.
P.S. And, yes, like the pick a job-destination feature as well.

Last edited:

Who is John Galt?

Still really, really hate you Uber...but need to give credit where it's fairly due.
P.S. And, yes, like the pick a job-destination feature as well.

Re the destination filter, are you referring to the area selections (below) as well?
Do you use this? How to you find it?
To be honest, I have never used it for selection. I have always run will 'all areas'. :smiles:

IMG_3641 resized to 550.jpg

Hugh G

I used inbuilt timer i.e (5 mins wait time) for the first time the other evening.

As with every feature/update/debacle UBER introduces on the Driver App there was no notification about it.

I watched it time down to 0:00 and was then prompted to cancel, which I did.

How Figgin' Wonderfully Convenient I mistakenly thought !

No cancellation amount appeared in the drivers app, so I waited, next morning still not there.

Now it's a real bucket of worms to report on a cancelled trip that doesn't show in the log, but being aware of the imminent "what was the address, what was the rider name ??" questions I was prepared and had taken screen shots of the waybill and the screen with the countdown just before it prompted me.

The UBERBOTS asked me to take a picture when I submitted the query via the app.... How can you take a picture when the evidence is stored in your mobile ?

So I came home and uploaded the data they requested ... the end result was the UBERBOTS are saying I DIDN"T WAIT LONG ENOUGH !

When I pointed out to them it was their software on the their APP the IMBECILES aren't even aware .

Last edited:

Rope Ninja

Shit no...too tricky by half that for me, buddy. Simply talking bout the x2 trips per day to get you home (or at least homeward bound) or back to City when you been Elizabeth-ed or Hallett Cove-ed :smiles:

Thnx Hugh G for heads-up on what u have experienced. Haven't perceived a diddle yet myself but will be wary now to make sure not getting it 'from behind' while looking in front:eek:

Hugh G

I watched it time down to 0:00 and was then prompted to cancel, which I did.

After five emails I still got NO ANSWER from UBER as to why their software would time down after 5 minutes, prompt me to cancel and then insist I didn't wait the 5 minutes !

They just kept on ignoring my question despite my submission of the WAYBILL and a screenshot showing the UBER software timer just before it got to 5 mins.

MAKE SURE YOU TAKE A SCREENSHOT OF THE UBER PROMPT URGING YOU TO CANCEL FOR A REFUND and you'll probably save yourself about 3 days of needless correspondence.

Rope Ninja

After five emails I still got NO ANSWER from UBER as to why their software would time down after 5 minutes, prompt me to cancel and then insist I didn't wait the 5 minutes !

They just kept on ignoring my question despite my submission of the WAYBILL and a screenshot showing the UBER software timer just before it got to 5 mins.

MAKE SURE YOU TAKE A SCREENSHOT OF THE UBER PROMPT URGING YOU TO CANCEL FOR A REFUND and you'll probably save yourself about 3 days of needless correspondence.

Your screenshot idea is very GOOD suggestion. Have done x3 times in last x2 days and definitely leaves you feeling you got the 'whip hand' rather than other way. No probs yet getting cancellation money listed but don't trust this bunch till $ in bank...and even then they still don't fill me with warm, glowing "Partner" trust!

Where to Mister?

I used this the first time last week at the air port. I got the ping, arrived at the pick up zone within a couple of minutes and watched it count down to zero. No one there, waited a couple more minutes and still no one arrived. I did try phoning the pax after three minutes, but unable to connect. Judging by the name it was probably an international pax just arrived with no roaming and no idea where to go - all the “Uber” signage has been removed at the insistence of the taxi drivers. Anyway, two minutes after the timer finished I cancelled and went back to the wait area. Payment received no problem. I am annoyed that they class this as a driver cancellation and include it in the stats – in my opinion a no-show is a rider cancellation.

Hugh G

Ive found the timer to start at weird mins....4mins 4mins 30sec so who knows

Spot on !

Once again deliberate deceptive and misleading conduct/coding by UBER to entice you to cancel BEFORE the five minutes is up.

I have noticed this also. This might explain why my first venture down the road of using the new UBER feature was rejected by the UBERBOTS

Uber does not register it as a REFUNDABLE CANCELLATION and details do not appear in the drivers APP, yet it is registered in your stats as a cancellation. It Piss*s me off you cannot extract the cancelation details in the Drivers app and you cant see who or when you cancelled

Last edited:

Wabbit-169

I noticed on Monday, that the timer wasnt working as if they had turned it off! I had to keep a manual timer again, but didnt cancel any rides. I didnt drive today because I was lazy, so not sure if that was a temporary thing or not! lol