1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Rider left their phone

Discussion in 'Advice' started by Enzo, Jan 27, 2018.

1. Enzo

Enzo

It's been two weeks, nearly three weeks since a random pax left a $250 phone in my car, no word since then. They haven't tried to contact me or uber. How long do I have to keep this Dang thing? I checked the imei and it still has service and not blacklisted. Weird....

2. Merc7186

Merc7186

Driving:
    UberXL
    Turn it off immediately and pitch it....not your problem anymore.

There are people who have gotten into a lot of trouble because 'they stole' a phone from a pax. The only person who can trust these days are yourself.....

3. Enzo

Enzo

Yep, Im familiar with tech so I put it into airplane mode, location off and GPS off. It can't be tracked to my house(which is why I did that) but uber support was already contacted, so did I screw myself over ? I wouldnt have done so if I knew this person would never get back to me to try to get it.

Pawtism likes this.
  4. 5D28BA5B-F09A-4392-912F-2F0FA642CBB5.gif

5. After a couple of days, I may drop it at a police station or Uber Hub when in the area.

6. Sell it to was mart

Sell it to wal mart always

Welsh Shepard likes this.
  7. Another Uber Driver

Another Uber Driver Moderator

Driving:
    UberTAXI
    Turn it in to the police, get a receipt.

8. Bpr2

Bpr2

Driving:
    UberX
    I’ve heard stories of paxholes leaving phones and other expensive items and the driver going to a far off PD and drop it off just to spite the paxhole because then the paxhole would have to drive to get the thing.

9. awesome

Bpr2 and John Campbell like this.
  10. freddieman

freddieman

Have u tried calling one of the contacts on the phone? Preferably the one that says mom, dad, bro, sis, unc, office, etc.? U don’t want to get caught with the phone. Just get the $15 return fee and maybe a tip

Daisy&Cream and thepeach like this.
  11. Homeless people would enjoy calling family back east.

Uber's Guber and New2This like this.
  12. Enzo

Enzo

The phone is locked via code

13. freddieman

freddieman

How are u able to turn it off and put it on airplane mode then?

14. Bpr2

Bpr2

Driving:
    UberX
    Just swipe up on the locked screen to access the features.

15. I would drop the phone off at the nearest carrier store, and get a receipt from them.

16. Bpr2

Bpr2

Driving:
    UberX
    Lol then a few weeks later they wipe the phone and sell it as used.

Pawtism, MHR and WeDreams like this.
  17. Fishchris

Fishchris

What a bunch of A holes.

I believe in the "Do unto others thing"..... And what's funny is, I'm an atheist.

Good morals come from within.

Coincidentally, a nice lady left her phone in my car last night. This was after a decent airport ride, and a $5 tip. A couple hours later she found a way to call me on her phone. Turns out I was only about 6 minutes away from her....
    Plus I was between rides anyway.
    As I handed her her phone, she handed me a $20. Granted, I didn't flat refuse it, but I did remind her, and thank her again for her original tip. She insisted and thanked me profusely for returning her phone so quickly, and told me how messed up she'd be without it. Which I totally understand.

In fact, the last phone I returned about a month ago also got me a $20 tip.... Which is nice of course, but the real reason I return phones is because I know how bad I'd be screwed if I lost mine.

And the reason I'd speak up about it here, is because I rarely care what other people think.
    Proud to think for myself.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2018
    Coachman, Terri Lee, Surgeio and 7 others like this.
  18. Bpr2

Bpr2

Driving:
    UberX
    If pax was nice then sure return the phone, I would. If pax was a paxhole though, their karma got them.

Brian G. likes this.
  19. Or around $125 at was mart...screw paxholes like Cindy

Bpr2 likes this.
  20. Fishchris

Fishchris

:) Lol Well, I somewhat agree....

But remember the one I said I returned last month ? Ok, that guy and his friends were not exactly A holes, but they were drunk and somewhat obnoxious.... Plus, somewhat ghettofied lol I totally did not expect a tip. But I was pleasantly surprised that the guy not only tipped me, but without his ghetto friends around (or alcohol, the ret@rded drug that it is) he sounded like a very cool, respectful guy.

David Payne and Bpr2 like this.