• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Rider asks me to use Waze, doesn't like route, rates me less than 5

RickCMC

Why do riders care so much about the exact route taken to their destination and is it always grounds for them to give a lower rating? Rider gets in and tells me "Oh don't use the Uber GPS it's terrible and takes you on back roads. Use Waze." So I opened up Waze and put in the address and what do you know, it starts taking me on back roads. Rider mentions something about it, he wasn't angry about it he but I could tell he was slightly annoyed and he opened up his own GPS because all of a sudden I hear directions coming from his phone and then he turns the sound off.

I get to his destination in the estimated time. The back roads Waze took me didn't make his trip any longer than it would have been going another way. He seemed appreciative for the ride but then when I checked my ratings a few moments later I noticed my lifetime rated trips increased by 1 but my 5 star ratings didn't. So I know it was this guy who gave me less than 5 stars.

My question is did he do it only because of the route I took, which was partly his fault because he told me to use Waze, or are there some riders out there who will just never give a driver 5 stars? I'm always professional, friendly, a good driver, and have a very clean car. Seems like riders are expecting way too much out of a car ride somewhere. Or maybe some of them don't understand how the rating system works and thinks a 4 is a "great rating"

uberstuper

Waze is owned by Google and going to take you in the exact same direction/ path period. I hope you gave him a one-star just sounds like a real pain in the ass

SuzeCB

Why do riders care so much about the exact route taken to their destination and is it always grounds for them to give a lower rating? Rider gets in and tells me "Oh don't use the Uber GPS it's terrible and takes you on back roads. Use Waze." So I opened up Waze and put in the address and what do you know, it starts taking me on back roads. Rider mentions something about it, he wasn't angry about it he but I could tell he was slightly annoyed and he opened up his own GPS because all of a sudden I hear directions coming from his phone and then he turns the sound off.

I get to his destination in the estimated time. The back roads Waze took me didn't make his trip any longer than it would have been going another way. He seemed appreciative for the ride but then when I checked my ratings a few moments later I noticed my lifetime rated trips increased by 1 but my 5 star ratings didn't. So I know it was this guy who gave me less than 5 stars.

My question is did he do it only because of the route I took, which was partly his fault because he told me to use Waze, or are there some riders out there who will just never give a driver 5 stars? I'm always professional, friendly, a good driver, and have a very clean car. Seems like riders are expecting way too much out of a car ride somewhere. Or maybe some of them don't understand how the rating system works and thinks a 4 is a "great rating"
Hey may have rated you less than 5, but you're really not sure it was him. Unlike us, passengers do not have to do their ratings right away. They don't even have to do them at all. Quite often, they don't rate us right away, and instead will end up giving a waiting the next time that they request an Uber, which could be whenever. I think they have up to 2 weeks, but I'm not sure.

UberBastid

I tell pax ... "I can use the google ap, or YOU can become the ap. Do you want me to turn it off?"
If they miss a turn I keep going straight.
"YOU are the ap."

They don't like that?
"I have a special name for people like you. Pedestrian." as I pull to the right.

sduberdude

I tell pax ... "I can use the google ap, or YOU can become the ap. Do you want me to turn it off?"
If they miss a turn I keep going straight.
"YOU are the ap."

They don't like that?
"I have a special name for people like you. Pedestrian." as I pull to the right.
Isn't that a little sassy? Seems like a good way to get low ratings.

Over/Uber

I tell the PAX I use the Uber nav since it means I get their ride started sooner not having to input the address on another map app and it usually chooses the most direct A-to-B line. I sometimes ask if they have a preferred turn or two, especially if I know there are a couple ways to get to the drop.

UberBastid

Isn't that a little sassy? Seems like a good way to get low ratings.
LoL. Sassy.
I bin called a lot of things, sassy ...

Yea, when people @@@@ with me, I @@@@ with them right back.
You gonna dish out a @@@@ing, you gotta be able to take one.

Sassy. LoL.
I kinda like that.

sduberdude

Well glad you liked it. LOL

Does that "airplane mode and force them to cancel" trick really work? That's brilliant if it does.

Jagent

Well glad you liked it. LOL

Does that "airplane mode and force them to cancel" trick really work? That's brilliant if it does.
Yes. They can't rate you if they cancel. They can't call or text you if you're in airplane mode. They need a ride cause you booted them. They gotta cancel.

sduberdude

Yes. They can't rate you if they cancel. They can't call or text you if you're in airplane mode. They need a ride cause you booted them. They gotta cancel.
So the point of airplane mode is to not allow them to contact you. And it then forces them to cancel. Got it. They could still file a complaint, I suppose, but you'd at least get to respond. I think this is a perfect time when I would pull my dashcam video.

How long would you wait before you go back online? Or maybe work Lyft for a while if it was an Uber pax?

Jagent

So the point of airplane mode is to not allow them to contact you. And it then forces them to cancel. Got it. They could still file a complaint, I suppose, but you'd at least get to respond. I think this is a perfect time when I would pull my dashcam video.

How long would you wait before you go back online? Or maybe work Lyft for a while if it was an Uber pax?

How long? Depends on how bad the neighborhood is, or how cold it is. I'd say five minutes, even a moron can figure it out.

If they complain, tell Uber they tried to scam you and cancelled during the ride. They'll probably get booted off the app.