• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Rider app- "live location share" feature absent

UberPoolRider

Hi.
On the rider app, I am not seeing "share my location with driver" feature. I did check, I have all permissions enabled, latest app and Android update, but in Uber > Settings > Privacy > Location , the "Share my location" option does not appear.
I followed up with Uber costumer service over email, but I can say after a week of to and fro emails that they have no clue about it.
Can someone suggest why my rider app does not have that feature?

UberPoolRider

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
All settings are fine.
I can share live location with my friends on WhatsApp (via WhatsApp feature), Google maps navigation - this means that my phone settings are fine. Just that my Uber app has that feature missing. App version v4.202.1004

Attachments

Last edited:

UberPoolRider

With a username like UberPoolRider you're going to make a lot of friends here. Welcome to UP.
I intentionally put that username to clarify that I am a rider. I noticed that most discussions are among drivers. I was hoping to get some advice.

I have tried Galaxy S8, Nexus 5x - all top notch phones. Somehow this awesome feature is not showing up.

Notjust A. Nutherant

With a username like UberPoolRider you're going to make a lot of friends here. Welcome to UP.
I intentionally put that username to clarify that I am a rider. I noticed that most discussions are among drivers. I was hoping to get some advice.

I have tried Galaxy S8, Nexus 5x - all top notch phones. Somehow this awesome feature is not showing up.
You missed UB's point

UberPoolRider

Maybe...just maybe live location doesn’t work for pool rides because you’re expected to be on the curb at the pin? Have you tried it on a normal X (non-pool) ride?
Yeah, already tried that. Also note that Uber > Settings > Privacy > Location : this setting is for whole app in general (instead of being specific to ride type)

The friends of mine who have this feature, can use it for Pool as well.

UberPoolRider

I think "share my location" is under "Privacy" settings.
Thanks for your response, I am aware of that. In #3, I have posted a screenshot of what I see in Uber > Settings > Privacy Settings > Location

There is no toggle button.

I don’t use the pax app, but I always thought you had to manually turn it on in the trip screen. Somebody else can correct me if I’m wrong. Like you said, the location options in the app settings have more to do with the app’s ability to access location info in general, not whether it is being shared with the driver.

Uber’s help seems to imply there is a toggle switch in the map screen in addition to options in the app settings.

https://help.uber.com/h/469ed54f-3c45-4efc-8aa3-aafdf316a6b2
I already followed everything on that link. There is no toggle switch appearing for me. Neither in settings nor on map (neither at booking, nor on driver arriving )

Reason I want this feature so badly is because Uber automatically re-shifts the manual pickup marker to a location about 300 ft away causing confusion with drivers and time waste in coordinating. If Uber can respect my custom pick-up marker, I won't need this feature. Happens for direct as well as UberPool.
I know that for express this might be a feature, but for direct and UberPool where door pickup is desired, this is a very annoying issue for both- me as well as driver.

Since the drivers are always focussed driving and coordinating with their app, it is very hard to explain them my position on phone. It is not worth the hassle work driver who is already busy with too many things at that time. So I thought it is best to make the feature get to work for me.

UberPoolRider

Yeah, that is the hope. However, the conversation with Uber customer support has been disappointing. Despite sending them all screenshots, they did not even acknowledge that something was indeed not working in the app. Everyday , they would send a copy pasted response and ask me to turn on GPS and internet.

daave1

Do you have the most recent update to the app? Go to your play store and check. Other than that, seems you are looking in the correct place.

daave1

Funny, I just checked my app and the option isn't there either. The weird thing is that I turned the location sharing on about a month ago. The next time I take a ride I'll have to ask the driver if my location sharing was showing.

DriveNM

The live location sharing is not where it should be in many passenger apps including mine! Threre is a problem with the tech or the info on live location sharing. This issue is very frustrating and can ruin many a night.

ANT 7

Settings > Privacy > Location........mine has it.

Turn location "on".

It's not the phone you have. I bet if you delete your rider app and reload it you'll be fine. Try that and report back as well as making sure your GPS is properly enabled.

Kyanar

It's not available on any of my devices (Galaxy S10, iPhone X). Assuming it's just another method Uber is using to increase driver dissatisfaction (the IPO docs said they were aiming to do that, right?)