Rider Advertising

Mcole

Ok so I have been driving for Uber for a little over a month in the Bangor area and have noticed that most local people don't even know we are around (except the taxi drivers of course) .... my question is are we allowed as drivers too advertise that Uber is around with like newspaper ads or flyers?

phillipzx3

Ok so I have been driving for Uber for a little over a month in the Bangor area and have noticed that most local people don't even know we are around (except the taxi drivers of course) .... my question is are we allowed as drivers too advertise that Uber is around with like newspaper ads or flyers?
Nope. You're a "rideshare" provider, not a livery service. The instant you start advertising your "business" you've officially become a commercial driver and will need to be insured and licences as such. You drive for Uber, nor yourself.

Last edited:

Mcole

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I understand that not really asking if I can advertise myself as uber I am asking if we are allowed too advertise that Uber is available in Bangor not directly trying too advertise myself but just the service Like Flyers .......like need a ride Uber? use Uber or something like that....... Proablly something the company should be doing anyways but they are more concerned with getting drivers then passengers it seems.

Disgusted Driver

I understand that not really asking if I can advertise myself as uber I am asking if we are allowed too advertise that Uber is available in Bangor not directly trying too advertise myself but just the service Like Flyers .......like need a ride Uber? use Uber or something like that....... Proablly something the company should be doing anyways but they are more concerned with getting drivers then passengers it seems.
Best thing you can do is get some referral cards and pass them around, try to leave some at bars or hotels. This way you get the referral fees at least and hopefully generate some additional traffic. Sign up for Lyft also if it's in your area and then refer lyft pax to Uber and Uber pax to Lyft so you can get referrals there as well. Might as well play both of them off each other, one of the few times you can.

phillipzx3

As long as you don't solicit business as a "for hire" driver, you should be fine. The instant you advertise your name or provide a personal contact number you've become a livery service ( which Uber is, they're just paying politicians to look the other way) you'd be asking for legal trouble.

I'd leave the advertising to the "$50 billion company who has to keep begging for more operating capitol." :smiles:

Last edited:

Mcole

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ok that's all I was asking was just advertising the fact that it's available.

MikesUber

Ok that's all I was asking was just advertising the fact that it's available.
Yeah referral cards are your best bet so you can get those bonuses. If you have a support center in the area go and ask for some. They'll give you a small handful but politely ask if you can just have the whole box (smallish box like from VistaPrint, probably has 500 cards). Then literally just spread them out throughout the city and to your passenger's friends that haven't used Uber yet. If you don't have a support center then you can try your luck emailing support for referral cards but I'm not sure how successful that will be.