Rideahare or cut rate taxi

dannyg1

How many people here just turn on Uber / Lyft when they are going somewhere versus using it as a taxi? I must admit it is saturated. Why would someone drive for Lyft or Uber instead of a taxi. Taxi rates are like double. It's only good for pax.

Reactions: keb

dannyg1

More than Uber / Lyft. However they are easier to distinguish. Taxi drivers only have to work half as much.

Yozee

More than Uber / Lyft. However they are easier to distinguish. Taxi drivers only have to work half as much.
You almost never see them in most cities. I don't understand why they still drive taxi's when you consider they lease the cab for $100 a day + cost of fuel + 6% of fares (to cab company), and only have the taxi for 12 hours.

dannyg1

Ever take a look at uber rental rates? 30$ a day. Might as well ditch my ride. No mileage caps all maintainance included.

dannyg1

So Uber is just for cheapskates who would have hailed a taxi ride anyway. Looks like they didn't work out the math so well. A ride in a Toyota yaris costs the same as a impala but a BMW costs twice as much. What is the damn difference,? Taxis never had surge prices and the services both cost the same. Why charge half as much unless there is high demand when you can charge more all the time. What a cluster messed up business plan.

steveK2016

Because many of us have full time jobs and this is a way of making extra money.

Got any more stupid questions?

I never understood why those that do this full time don't just drive a Taxi full time. Part timers makes sense, but those that want to pull 70 hours a week driving Uber can probably earn the same in under 40, or more.

Pawtism

I definitely couldn't make this work full time. I just flip on the app when I have a little extra time to kill to make a few extra bucks.

dannyg1

Would only work for Full time if you are driving around a $3000 dollar car. Otherwise the mileage will trash your car if it's new. Not enough to cover maintenance at $1 mile. However there are worse driving jobs. Pizza delivery and medical sample pick up suck worse than Uber. They are about 30 cents a mile. I just drive on my route home. 30 miles each way. Picking up to $50 a day to drive home or to work ain't bad for going 10 or 20 miles out of route. Only would do it full time if I was unemployed or foreign.