Ride to NYC - Yea or Nay?

st3rling

Yesterday was my first long ride - got request from a rider in Malvern who immediately called me after I accepted the request and notified me he needs to go to Manhattan. After some hesitation I agreed. Ride started around 6:30 PM and we only caught heavy traffic at the interchange in Plymouth Meeting (about 15 minutes in stop and go traffic).

Stats are:

Distance 115 mi.
Duration 2h 10m
Fare $150.86
Toll $24.25
Uber fee -$30.17
Total payout $144.94

No tip from the rider and obviously empty miles on the way back. What do you guys think? Is it worth it?

st3rling

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yeah, it seems like KoP, Malvern, Wayne area was very busy last night - I had non stop pings before I went to NYC and after I got back.

Skyhakw2472

You could have also grabbed some rides in NJ when you came back out of NY. Sometimes you can catch a fare going south to get you a little closer, or head down Route 1 toward Princeton and see if you can grab a ride from there without having to pay NJ Turnpike tolls and then if nothing then you can go to 95 to catch toll free back to PA.

Too bad Uber doesn't have some type of program where a rider can catch 2 or more ridesharing cars so they can transfer the rider midway if they don't want to go all the way to the destination.

I had a trip from Princeton to Rye, NY once and then just picked up some rides in CT before deadheading back to NJ, so I sort of made up for it, but still, going through NY empty is really bothersome.

Hal Green

Yesterday was my first long ride - got request from a rider in Malvern who immediately called me after I accepted the request and notified me he needs to go to Manhattan. After some hesitation I agreed. Ride started around 6:30 PM and we only caught heavy traffic at the interchange in Plymouth Meeting (about 15 minutes in stop and go traffic).

Stats are:

Distance 115 mi.
Duration 2h 10m
Fare $150.86
Toll $24.25
Uber fee -$30.17
Total payout $144.94

No tip from the rider and obviously empty miles on the way back. What do you guys think? Is it worth it?

If you took the Pa turnpike to the NJ TP the toll is 5.20 so they shorted you on the tolls

PA TP mid county to river bridge $5.20

TP patp - exit 16 linc tun $ 10.25

Lincoln tunnel $14.00
Total $29.45

Then you had return tolls
NJ TP 10.25
PATP 5.20
total $15.45

fare $150.86
less Uber fee 30.17
less unpaid tolls $20.65
(5.20 + 15.45 return)

Bottom line your net $ 100.04

Now deduct the gas for 230 miles & the wear & tear on your car
plus 4.5 - 5 hours of your time.

DO YOU REALLY THINK you made $$$$ on this trip ?????????????

st3rling

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Like I said, it was my first long trip and this is why I posted it here - asking for advice and opinions. Thank you for breaking it down, most likely I will not do it again unless there is a hefty tip negotiated before the ride.

Danz Haagen

Stats are:

Distance 115 mi.
Duration 2h 10m
Fare $150.86
Toll $24.25
Uber fee -$30.17
Total payout $144.94

that's a rare lottery...

Limovan

I always wondered the same. Getting a long trip is good but deadheading back sucks unless you can score a ride home. My farthest so far was from yunk to kop. Was happy with it but not ride all the way back down 476..

Chris M

If I got this i would ask if Trenton was an appropriate place to stop and have them transfer Ubers because without a doubt, they'll be able to get one there.

Danz Haagen

I always wondered the same. Getting a long trip is good but deadheading back sucks unless you can score a ride home. My farthest so far was from yunk to kop. Was happy with it but not ride all the way back down 476..
yeh, getting back sucks for only $100. thats 200 miles both ways, 4 hours driving. plus i hate driving though manhattan. but you can get out for free using holland tunnel.

i remember in febrary 2015, i gave a ride to hatboro from center city. about 20 miles, at 4.1 surge. i made $140 in 40 minutes of driving....

Dillanwasx

Contact uber. I'm sure the rate can be changed so that the tolls are paid by the pax while the pax is in your vehicle. I had that problem last week.

Aztek98

Philly app works in MY and NJ? I took someone from BWI to Reading PA and my app did not work until I hit the Maryland state line.

BigSlick

Would it be out of line to tell the pax when he calls that you have all of the dead miles and tolls back and that for an extra x$ you'll do it?

Skyhakw2472

I took someone from BWI to Reading PA and my app did not work until I hit the Maryland state line.
All of PA appears to be out of limits except the area around the greater Philly area. Your app should work in the greater Philly area, NJ, DE, it won't work in those highly regulated areas like New York, and with the rest of PA you need PA DOT to inspect and approve the vehicle. Wish there were options to drive in other states and areas without having to jump through hoops. Just shows you how some areas have this regulated better or stricter than others.