Ride Share Insurance While Making Car Payments

Burchisms

Hello everyone. I just found out a certain insurance company is now offering Ride Share insurance for Upsate and Western New York.

My question is, I am making car payments through capital one auto. Will this matter for my ability to get ride share insurance?

If I am unable to get rideshare insurance,

Would I still be able to get personal insurance with the companies that don't drop you for Ubering?

Any help in the matter would greatly be appreciated.

Currently I'm doing business with a famous lizard and I read they are strict with dropping people so I am want to switch and get legit rideshare insurance for piece of mine before I start.

Taxi tony

From what I have been told by all the major insurance companies in the Buffalo and Rochester area it is illegal to drive for Uber and Lyft under your current personal insurance policy. Any Claims can be denied and your insurance policy cancelled for violating the terms.

ShinyAndChrome

From what I have been told by all the major insurance companies in the Buffalo and Rochester area it is illegal to drive for Uber and Lyft under your current personal insurance policy. Any Claims can be denied and your insurance policy cancelled for violating the terms.
Even liberty insurance which apparently actually has a rider option for personal insurance? :biggrin:

Merc7186

I thought you said you talked to all the insurance companies in buffalo and rochester, were hoping you would tell us?

Taxi tony

I have spoken with Progressive, Geico, Allstate, farmers, freeway, and State Farm. After receiving the same response from every one of them I think I had enough information that it's best not to take the chance. If you get a chance, take a look at Albany New York. Look at some of the comments about insurance there. Have a good day hope I was helpful

ckg927

I have spoken with Progressive, Geico, Allstate, farmers, freeway, and State Farm. After receiving the same response from every one of them I think I had enough information that it's best not to take the chance. If you get a chance, take a look at Albany New York. Look at some of the comments about insurance there. Have a good day hope I was helpful

No, you've been your usual spammy self.

jaystonepk

Insulting ride-sharing drivers on a forum for people who are ride-sharing drivers probably isn't the best way to get yourself taken seriously.

If you are genuinely concerned (you aren't) about the repercussions of personal vs ride-sharing insurance and their potential effect on drivers then stick to the facts. If you are worried about ride-sharing affecting your business (you are) then by all means keep using scare tactics, and posting half-truth's and alternative news. The rest of us who are holding down a full-time job while doing this part-time on the side will continue to call you out on it and won't be swayed by thinking we may be arrested for driving or getting sued for "everything they own" if we ever come in contact with another vehicle.

Taxi tony

Well apparently your ignorance is overwhelming. If you think for one minute that I am attempting to use a scare tactic to tell people the truth that just goes to show how ignorant you are. The facts are the facts. You cannot use a personal vehicle under your current insurance policy to make money. I E rideshareing. Now with that being said, if you run into my car and I don't care if it's Sunday afternoon and you're on your way to church, and your insurance company finds out that you are operating your vehicle as a commercial vehicle, part time on Tuesday nights, you are in violation of your insurance policy. And that in itself is a violation of the terms of your policy, and is grounds for the insurance company to deny the claim, and refuse to pay to fix my car. Now, do you think for one second that I am not going to file a lawsuit against you, you part-time want-to-be taxi driver,to get my car fixed? You are considered a subcontractor. Just because you are so ignorant that you have no idea what the definition of the word means, is no excuse for me to not take everything you own. And you know as well as I know, with the Cutthroat lawyers out here, I will have no problem succeeding in eating you alive. It is my attempt to inform people before it's too late and they end up being sued to look into what they are encountering. In doing so, I get idiots like you, who have no idea what this industry is about, trying to tell me about a business I've been in for over 40 years.

Merc7186

And you are the perfect poster child for Uber. Ignorant, uninformed, unemployed, and desperate to support your drug habit. All the qualifications Uber is looking for in their drivers.

That's funny because I have received many people thanking me for that bit of information. You must work for Uber. Nobody else can be that ignorant to put everything they own on the line for a $5 Uber job.

Where are these thanks? Haven't seen them here in the Buffalo/Rochester region....I guess I fall under the unemployed and uneducated category, huh?

I guess I'll keep taking those 40 minute pings too.

jaystonepk

Ridesharing is not illegal in New York. It was approved outside of New York City on June 29th of this year. You are implying it is illegal by stating you cannot use a personal vehicle under your personal insurance policy to make money. That is why the TNC's insurance policy takes effect once you go online via the app. There are various levels of TNC coverages based upon the state of your ride and that is a point of concern for potential drivers.

You will not be automatically dropped from your insurance company for violating the terms if they learn you are driving for a TNC. Every insurance carrier is different. Some have been rumored to cancel or not renew policy holders if they learn you are driving for a TNC. There are insurance carriers that have specific policies to cover gaps in the TNC's coverage. My carrier, Allstate, that I am quite happy I just switched to, has an add-on Ride for Hire option.

https://www.allstate.com/auto-insurance/ride-for-hire.aspx

I have no desire to be a taxi driver. I would much rather work my full time job during the day and use my vehicle in the evening to earn a little extra cash to help pay my bills. On the off chance that I do have an accident, I will follow the proper insurance protocol for filing a claim, according to who I should submit the claim to, which varies depending on the specific carrier and policy. Good luck finding a lawyer to take me for everything I own and eat me alive over a $300 claim for buffing out a scratch and repainting a bumper.

I am aware of what an independent contractor is. Riders request to hire me for a little as 2 minutes to any amount of time to transport them to their desired location. I am not an employee of Uber or Lyft. I am free to accept or reject any requests that come my way.

I have no doubt you are well versed in commercial taxi insurance, however, that is not what we're talking about. We are discussing rideshare insurance. You are comparing apples to oranges. Uber launched in 2009 and Lyft launched in 2012. I fail to see how 40 years in the taxi and commercial insurance industry applies to an industry that has been operating for less than 9 years.

I am done for the night and heading out to make some money using my totally-not-illegal ridesharing apps in my personal vehicle. Have a good evening.

Taxi tony

Spoken like a true uninformed Uber driver. Talk to your local Insurance Company. Uber will tell you anything they want just to get you to make them more money. But then again it's people like you, misinformed, who think they know it all, uber goes after to drive for them. And $300 to fix a scratch and buff it out? I get $900 every time somebody bumps into the my back bumper. In the car I'm currently driving 4 times so far.