• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Ride Share Drivers must be Australia citizens or permanent residents.

Should ride share drivers be Australian citizens or permanent residents?

• Total voters
The quality and lower prices of ride share has decimated the taxi industry.
The taxi industry shot itself in the foot by filling their cabs with international students.
Ask your pax why they have left the taxi services.
Most international students are limited by their visa to a maximum 20 hours work per week during schooling.
The visa compliance is a joke.
Eventually the rideshare companies will resemble the taxi industry with partners who
are predominantly overseas students with a lower financial expectation.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
It should be enough that you're a citizen or permanent resident or have a visa that permits paid work.
Yes I agree that it should be enough to have a visa for paid employment.
Unfortunately the federal compliance regarding maximum 20 hours a week for students is woeful.
An Australian employer must sight the employees visa and at risk of penalty must
abide by the terms.
My point is rideshare drivers seem to circumvent this requirement.
The Uber app should log them out after 20 hours online per week.

Jack Malarkey

Yes I agree that it should be enough to have a visa for paid employment.
Unfortunately the federal compliance regarding maximum 20 hours a week for students is woeful.
An Australian employer must sight the employees visa and at risk of penalty must
abide by the terms.
My point is rideshare drivers seem to circumvent this requirement.
The Uber app should log them out after 20 hours online per week.
That equates the number of hours that the app is on with the number of hours worked. I don't think it's appropriate to count, for example, hours while the app is on at home while studying in the hope of a ping as time at work. I'd count only the time conveying passengers or driving to collecting them after accepting the request towards the 20-hour limit.

Overseas students pay high fees and make a big contribution to our economy. They also culturally enrich our society.

Uber driving is an important way in which they can support themselves and provide a community service in a way that's sufficiently flexible for their study commitments.

Bandy

The quality and lower prices of ride share has decimated the taxi industry.
The taxi industry shot itself in the foot by filling their cabs with international students.
Ask your pax why they have left the taxi services.
Most international students are limited by their visa to a maximum 20 hours work per week during schooling.
The visa compliance is a joke.
Eventually the rideshare companies will resemble the taxi industry with partners who
It will be WORSE than the taxi industry.
With much lower returns/rates than the taxi industry had, and 400% more drivers than drove taxis, you're going to get the bottom of the barrel to work for Uber. You pay peanuts, you get monkeys.

Go to your 'Green Hub' and count all the backpackers and visa holding students flying through the door.
Count all the foreign taxi types who can't string a coherent sentence together.
It aint gonna be pretty...

I'd count only the time conveying passengers or driving to collecting them after accepting the request towards the 20-hour limit.
Good point. Fair point Jack...

That equates the number of hours that the app is on with the number of hours worked. I don't think it's appropriate to count, for example, hours while the app is on at home while studying in the hope of a ping as time at work. I'd count only the time conveying passengers or driving to collecting them after accepting the request towards the 20-hour
Overseas students pay high fees and make a big contribution to our economy. They also culturally enrich our society.

Uber driving is an important way in which they can support themselves and provide a community service in a way that's sufficiently flexible for their study commitments.
The Uber app only counts online time not online time studying so it is similar to a suggestion that a midnight to dawn 711 worker is not really working if he is also studying between customers.

JaySonic

I've got very similar concerns about how Uber's going to pan out. Becoming a driver requires very little skills other than being able to drive and read a GPS, so it's a perfect opportunity for immigrants new to Australia whose professional skills from their homeland are not recognized here. As many of these people will be desperate to earn an income and with limited employment options, they will be content to work for peanuts, even if Uber drop the rates

It's already looking a lot like modern slavery, and I predict it's going to get a lot worse with Uber exploiting people to drive, on the promise of great earnings that never actually materialise once expenses are taken into account.

The federal government will be expecting gst compliance from all rideshare drivers so how many drivers will register for BAS?
If they don't register how long will it take the government to find the defaulters?
Australian citizens and permanent residents are committed to Australia and have no escape from the consequences of non compliance.
Overseas students have no ties to this country and may complete their course and be gone before ATO can prosecute.I'm all for a fair go but please... fair suck of the sav.

UberX.illegal?

The federal government will be expecting gst compliance from all rideshare drivers so how many drivers will register for BAS?
If they don't register how long will it take the government to find the defaulters?
Australian citizens and permanent residents are committed to Australia and have no escape from the consequences of non compliance.
Overseas students have no ties to this country and may complete their course and be gone before ATO can prosecute.I'm all for a fair go but please... fair suck of the sav.
Fair suck of the sav eh? Maybe you should stop supporting the company that syphons off 100% of the revenue it generates, GST free overseas. Oh wait what?!?

uberpatron

This forum has become more like a complaint box..everyone is complaining and looks like no one is happy..i would suggest if everyone has complaints..then stop driving and do something else..which most of us won't as we are used to easy money..world is a small place and people are moving here and there...everyone has the right to make a living and no one has the right to pass comments about other people..instead of blaming...compete and work harder/smarter.

UberDriveBy

I remember being in the hub over in the valley and saw heaps of international students/backpackers there.

You do need a QLD license to drive they cant do it with their overseas license and they only need a visa that allows you to work and all student ones allow it.

Im from overseas myself but Im a citizen.

This forum has become more like a complaint box..everyone is complaining and looks like no one is happy..i would suggest if everyone has complaints..then stop driving and do something else..which most of us won't as we are used to easy money..world is a small place and people are moving here and there...everyone has the right to make a living and no one has the right to pass comments about other people..instead of blaming...compete and work harder/smarter.
If enough people can see the flaw in the system and complaints are made to our federal government I am sure these illegal activities will become a hot issue in the next election.
It is difficult to work harder/smarter while new partners are flooding the marketplace.
We need to demand our elected officials police the visa issue , gst compliance of partners and UBER.
Make a living fairly within the law.

uberpatron

Govt don't care about anything as immigration is big business...secondly only 8 million people pay taxes out of 23 million including those who are living legally since most of people think every migrant came by boat or is student..once that mindset is changed..no one will blame anyone..secondly everyone is working to improve their lives..not looking for easy money/drinking..

"The government don't care about
immigration "? Maybe time for a new government.

Voice your opinion to the local MP or their alternative.
Student visa holders are not immigrants see following definition..

immigrant
ˈɪmɪɡr(ə)nt/
noun
  1. a person who comes to live permanently in a foreign country.
    "they found it difficult to expel illegal immigrants"
    synonyms: newcomer, settler, incomer, new arrival, migrant, emigrant; More
All 24 million consumers in Australia pay tax. It is called Goods and services tax. GST is a 10 % tax designed to eat into the black money economy.
Yes everyone is working to improve their lives
but illegal work and failing to declaring gst collected disadvantages the honest workers in Australia.
Why should the honest law abiding workers allow the dishonest to erode their livelihood?
Your fellow rideshare partner is actually a competitor , if he has an illegal business edge eventually he will prevail at your expense.

Last edited:

uberpatron

Students bring 19 billion $$ to the economy and most of them is gone to education benefits...no doubt once they start working they open businesses and employ people too although there is a lack of innovation like usa....there is a flaw with the system and govt need to look after this...secondly if everyone pay gst..then most of the money is spent on benefits..as 8 out of 10 people are living on dole(check the latest report)..atleast students are not part of it..how many people pay taxes on time(8 million only)....that has created a big budget deficit..moral of the story is instead of blaming compete as world is a open marketplace..and future lies humanity to work together not blame each other for their circumstances..