1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

RIDE check experience

Discussion in 'Toronto' started by PoorBasterd, Dec 21, 2015.

1. PoorBasterd

PoorBasterd Well-Known Member

Well it came to pass that I am now seasonally laid-off from my school-bus driving job for the Christmas holidays. I was out Uber driving last night and I had 4 college kids in my ride going west bound on Bloor West at 1 am. Lo and behold we chanced upon yonder RIDE check under a bridge. I told my pax to completely shut-up and not to even mention the word "Uber". I'll do all the talking. Conversation with constable went like this:

Cop: “Goodnight sir. Where are you coming from? ”

P.B. “None of your business” (politely said but cop was clearly not expecting this answer.)

Cop: “Have you been drinking anything tonight? ”

P.B. “No Sir.”

Cop: “Why wouldn't you answer my question about where you're coming from? ”

P.B. “Because I'm under no legal obligation to provide you with that information.” (again, said politely.)

Cop: “Carry on Sir.”

P.B. “Thank you.” Then I drove off

My pax were thoroughly impressed and I have no doubt they gave me 5 stars for this.

biozon, kwzombie, Actionjax and 2 others like this.
  2. Homer J

Homer J Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    You've got bigger balls than me. I could never talk to a cop like that. But I'm not your size either. I'm scrawny.

PoorBasterd likes this.
  3. Actionjax

Actionjax Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberLUX
    The fact that you answered like that proved you were sober. A drunk would have answered the following way.

Cop: “Goodnight sir. Where are you coming from? ”

Drunk: "I Love you Maaaaannnnnnn"

4. kwzombie

kwzombie Well-Known Member

Props to Poor Basterd

PoorBasterd likes this.
  5. biozon

biozon Well-Known Member

Size of those balls though :)

Also, great that we have a R.I.D.E. dedicated thread now.

I encourage everyone to share their experience here.

PoorBasterd likes this.
  6. Myxx

Myxx Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    Two pax very drunk just turning to go north on Black Creek coming up to a ride check.. Female pax states , I'm gonna puke" I gave her a bag while we were stopped. Cop said ."have a great evening"

Sat night going up Spadina north of College , female pax in the back seat. Cop asked if I was drinking, where I was coming from? I said no and I'm coming from the Kensington Market ... End of story ...

PoorBasterd likes this.
  7. Judgeetox

Judgeetox Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberXL
    Stopped at R.I.D.E. 2 weeks ago York & Bremner. App running, PAX in back seat of car....not wearing seatbelts. Cop asked 'is everyone buckled up'?

I look guilty...'probably not, BUT THEY ARE NOW RIGHT?'

-click- ... -click-

Officer: 'Ok then.. Y'all have a good night' ( he actually said Y'all! I almost died)

8. PoorBasterd

PoorBasterd Well-Known Member

The good thing is that as long as you're pax is 16 or older, THEY get the seat-belt ticket. Not you.

9. jfr1

jfr1 Active Member

So, what were the words you actually used?

10. Bob Smith

Bob Smith Well-Known Member

I drove 3 passengers to a bar in missisauga. Upon pulling out I got pulled over by a black cop. Asks me if I had anything to drink tonight. Told him no. He said I was parked there for awhile so he wants me to do the breathalyzer. I told him I rather not because like I just said, I hadn't had a single drink and I can count on 1 hand how many drinks I've had this year. He says I'll get in more trouble by refusing the test then I'll get if it comes out positive. So I sigh and say okay I'll do the test. Comes out at 0 like I said, and he asks why I didn't want to do it. I said because it's a waste of time. He said he had a job to do etc. and then I drove off

I see vids on YouTube on cops planting fake evidence so I really didn't want to risk it. What if the machine had an error? I would have been in hell.

PoorBasterd and inpool like this.
  11. Actionjax

Actionjax Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberLUX
    Refusing a breath test is no excuse. And planting evidence? Come on.

In the end if they lie about the breath test when you get to the station ask for a blood test. They can't fake that and there will be witnesses in the station.

Then file a complaint against the officer. Yes a waste of time but refusal is a guarantee on sentence.

12. biozon

biozon Well-Known Member

Yep, planting evidence is nonsense - urine/blood test at the station later will confirm, if no alcohol.

As for breathalyzer test, I actually bough a breathalyzer off eBay for peace of mind. It's not fancy/shmancy official expensive model, but it does the job well. It also helped me to find out exactly how much time it takes for me to get the alcohol out of system. Thing is that I've always had very high tolerance to alcohol. It was processed very fast. Now I know how much time it takes to get back to zero.

PoorBasterd likes this.
  13. Dugman

Dugman Member

So last Friday had a pax and going southbound Spadina. Gave similar speech to lady as others to please let me talk. I rolled the window down and passed two cops very slowly. Neither asked me anything. Third guy a bit further ahead yells Blue Chrysler (my car). I ask him if I am pulling over. He says no. Have a good night sir. Very weird. Pax agreed. Thought if they are calling out your vehicle it would be for secondary inspection. Anyway Merry Christmas gang. Stay safe out there.

PoorBasterd likes this.