Richmond International Airport

diet_coke

I've been to the airport a few times before with no luck. Today was good though, got three or four rides there and the lowest fares were $20 for a ride to the Marriot. I'd go sit in the hourly parking and the longest I had to wait for a fare was maybe 20 minutes. It seemed to good to be true...

Because it was.

Here is the deal on the airport, since Uber provides no guidance and the only way to find out is when an airport employee comes and takes a picture of your car and you are open to liabilities.

1.) You have to stay on the far side of Airport Drive - you can sit at the Wawa, or there are some hotels nearby with big lots that seem safe to park in.

2.) When you pick up your rider, you have to go through the commercial lane which costs $5. I've emailed Uber to see if there is any reimbursement, still waiting to hear back.

3.) If you do not have your Uber sign, that is a criminal charge (!!) and can cost $500 (!!!!)

4.) Also a good idea to have proof of insurance and excess liability insurance, because Airport Police can ask for this documentation.

Honestly after learning that it costs $5, I'm not sure how worth it it is. Figure you get a $20 fare out of it, Uber takes their $4 cut, the airport takes $5, that leaves you with a whopping $11 from which you'll be paying for gas. The only up side is that it really seems like the city is oversaturated with drivers right now and the airport is a little less busy.

diet_coke

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I don't think so, the guy who came out to chide me had a flyer with all this on it that he gave me.

VicoDrive

I emailed Uber a month or so about any rules, and that I heard Taxis have a fee they have to pay for that. They said they have permission to operate like normal pickups all over the Richmond area and airport and there are no fees you need to worry about.

Also you said you sat in the hourly lot, not sure why you went there. There is a cell phone lot that is free and easy to get to.

Its also required by Uber and the city that you are REQUIRED to have your U sign posted on your back passanger side window. It should be there anyway, not just when you are working the airport

And for using the commercial lane of the pickup/dropoffs, Ive never used that. Ive seen cabs there and they are usually there waiting and talking to each other. Uber drivers already have passengers or know who they are picking up so you are in and out, no hanging out on the ramps like cabs are doing. Unless you are planning on hanging out on the ramp, I dont see what the problem would be.

VicoDrive

Also, when I had to deal with pickups for the RIR race a few weeks ago after it was over, it was a nightmare. In short, the police would NOT let me use the taxi lane. I got the one cop that never heard of Uber and made me use the normal traffic lane which takes you out of the area. Saying that I was a private shuttle and showing him my U sign wasnt enough.

When I got home, I emailed Uber to let them know the problems I just went through. They responded saying Uber is still very new in the area and lots of people are not yet familiar with it. They are working on some advertising campaigns and events to build popularity as well as working more with city officials to inform future events coordinators to understand Uber and how it works

diet_coke

If you don't use the commercial lane, you are opening yourself up to criminal liability and they can pursue it in civil court to recover unpaid fees as well.

Where did you send the email asking about fees? I have sent two to rvapartners or whatever it is and haven't heard back.

VicoDrive

If you don't use the commercial lane, you are opening yourself up to criminal liability and they can pursue it in civil court to recover unpaid fees as well.

Where did you send the email asking about fees? I have sent two to rvapartners or whatever it is and haven't heard back.
It was to that address. Maybe its these little things are what separate rideshare from cabs. The Nascar race wouldnt let us use the taxi lanes to pickup people because that was reserved for actual cab services, so maybe its the same thing for the airport. They could be investigating the airport things which is why they havent gotten back with you

diet_coke

I got two different answers from Uber.

Kirk says that tolls are only reimbursed when riders are in the car.

Michelle says that the fee should be reported and then it will be reimbursed. Just make sure to include trip ID and amount.

So...idk

Last edited:

Tx rides

I emailed Uber a month or so about any rules, and that I heard Taxis have a fee they have to pay for that. They said they have permission to operate like normal pickups all over the Richmond area and airport and there are no fees you need to worry about.

Also you said you sat in the hourly lot, not sure why you went there. There is a cell phone lot that is free and easy to get to.

Its also required by Uber and the city that you are REQUIRED to have your U sign posted on your back passanger side window. It should be there anyway, not just when you are working the airport

And for using the commercial lane of the pickup/dropoffs, Ive never used that. Ive seen cabs there and they are usually there waiting and talking to each other. Uber drivers already have passengers or know who they are picking up so you are in and out, no hanging out on the ramps like cabs are doing. Unless you are planning on hanging out on the ramp, I dont see what the problem would be.
Be very wary of Uber!s statements. Remember, they frequently claim that all drivers are responsible for rules, insurance, etc. When push comes to shove have they quickly become "just a technology platform", leaving you responsible for following local ordinances.
If there is a commercial lane, assume you, as a commercial transportation provider, are expected to use it , unless explicitly granted exemption. Airport GT staff can and will tell you the rules.

diet_coke

I got them to reimburse the airport fee, you can do a fare review or send an email to partnersrva with the trip ID and amount of the fee. I have been including pics of the receipts too, just in case.

Dave W

Even tho you may not make a bundle out of an airport run to downtown at least it shows passengers that Uber is available. The more people realize they can use Uber at the airport, the more rides we will get. It will increase business. Try and look at the big picture. I have only taken people to the airport. Never had a fare from there yet. With the reimbursement of the $5 that definitely makes that fare worthwhile. Just would be nice to know when flights are coming in to try and predict possible business. Can you sit in the cell phone lot and wait for a ping from there ?

diet_coke

You are supposed to be on the far side of Airport Drive, so any lots on the airport are not kosher. There's a bunch of gas stations and hotels that are real close to the terminal though.