1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Rhode Island Attorney General Wants Uber, Lyft, Taxi Drivers Fingerprinted

Discussion in 'Connecticut' started by Maven, Apr 22, 2017.

1. Maven

Maven

Driving:
    UberX
    Attorney General Wants Uber, Lyft Drivers Fingerprinted
    Rhode Island's attorney general wants to start fingerprinting Uber and Lyft drivers, as well as traditional taxi cab drivers.

USNews | March 5, 2017, at 12:42 p.m. By MATT O'BRIEN, Associated Press

PROVIDENCE, R.I. (AP) — Rhode Island's attorney general wants to start fingerprinting Uber and Lyft drivers, as well as traditional taxi cab drivers.

The state last year adopted a new law that officially legalized ride-hailing app companies and regulates them, but it didn't include a fingerprinting requirement after Uber and other companies objected.

Now, Attorney General Peter Kilmartin, a Democrat, has introduced legislation to require prospective drivers to go through a national criminal records check.

Kilmartin says his proposal treats everyone the same and ensures public safety.

Uber says it opposes Kilmartin's bill. The New England Livery Association supports it.

Neighboring Massachusetts began running Uber and Lyft drivers through stringent background checks this year, designed in part to bar registered sex offenders from driving. Connecticut is also considering a fingerprint requirement in pending legislation.

Zoey jasmine likes this.
  2. JaniceCT

JaniceCT

Let them . Lots of scumbags out there especially the ones working for yellow cab .

Zoey jasmine likes this.
  3. raheem236

raheem236

I would never work there anyway 80 cents a mile **** that

4. Retired Senior

Retired Senior

Driving:
    UberX
    Friday afternoon I-95 N was back to back traffic as people streamed out of New York and sought out beaches. I have no idea how many might have been going to Misquamicut, in Westerly, Rhode Island, but it did open up my eyes to potential profit by driving from Ct to R.I.

I believe that many ex-cons already have the deck stacked against them to such a degree that some would rather be back in prison. I also believe that most people want to be able to support themselves and their families. When politicians close doors to employment they are actually "poking the bear"... creating an environment in which some sort of violent social outburst is guaranteed.

If as a country we choose to make it impossible for adults to have gainful employment because of a criminal conviction from decades ago, then we might as well just execute them all, immediately. No sense in adding to the ever-growing numbers of economically dispossessed people that even now threaten social stability by trying to save themselves by grasping at whatever handouts the Masters of Commerce decide to provide.

The Republicans have already touched upon this subject. First, when they claimed that "ObamaCare" would lead to tribunals that would decide if your sick grandmother would get medical assistance or left to die. Second, when their - Republican - health care plan proposed extra heavy co-pays for senior citizens as well as more stringent rules and regulations that would cut millions of poor families from their Medicare.

Perhaps the Republican Party should simply admit it openly: They are not going to pay for your brats! And they don't want to pay for your sick parents either. Ideally, the Republicans think that if you can't take care of your own medical expenses, you should just "man-up" and die. Certainly UBER'S CEO believes that you made your own bed and now you must sleep in it.

OK, I know that I have wandered off topic again. I "vote" no against this newly proposed restrictions on a person's right to drive for a ride share business in Rhode Island, Mass., Connecticut or ANYPLACE else. If you have been a law-abiding citizen for 7 or more years surely you should be able to drive for Uber!

You can't demand that a man feed himself and then cut off his hands!

Reminds me of an old song....
    Made My Bed Gonna Lie In It
    The EasyBeats

Tried so hard to be a man, a man, a man
    I made my bed now I'm gonna lie in it
    Seems instead like I'm gonna die in it
    Where did I go wrong
    I tried so hard to see
    I tried so hard to be a man, a man, a man

You've seen my face, me I really don't mind it
    They all laugh but I didn't design it
    Where did I go wrong
    I tried so hard to see
    I tried so hard to be a man, a man, a man

Made my bed now I'm gonna lie in it

I didn't know my Ma
    Didn't see my Pa,
    How can you understand
    When you're the son of no man, no man

5. Maven

Maven

Driving:
    UberX
    Because you like a good song as much as I do, I did a little research on this topic for you. :) First, I agree that society at large treats those with criminal convictions as 2nd class citizens ever after. :( The primary example is permanently stripping those with felony convictions of the right to vote, which is why there is little chance that politicians will care about their issues. Of course, the difficulty, almost impossibility, of getting a good job has a more significant impact on their day to day lives.

There should be a "reasonable" limit. Turns out, there is, but you need to be proactive. One solution that is available in Connecticut and many other states is expunging or vacating a criminal record. It is an intentionally difficult process, but more likely to succeed if
    • Conviction was for a "less severe" offense.
    • Longer time with a "clean" record.
    Start by reading the FAQ then investigating the application to BOPP (Bureau of Pardons and Paroles). Although an attorney is not required, I suggest having one review any application before submission. Statewide Legal Services has free advice for low-income people with legal problems in Connecticut. Good luck. :)

Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
    Retired Senior likes this.
  6. Squirming Like A Toad

Squirming Like A Toad

Driving:
    UberXL
    This is ridiculous. Anyone can go to a website and see if someone is a registered sex offender. If they didn't bend over backwards to ensure illegal aliens can drive, a reasonable background check would be almost automatic.

To get one of my firearms permits I passed a background check so strict there are working police officers who wouldn't pass. Showing them that should be enough for anyone, anywhere, but if I showed them that they'd probably deactivate me. Political correctness is the problem, they know if they did real background checks the remaining drivers would look a little different. PC is going to be the death of us.

7. Maven

Maven

Driving:
    UberX
    Have you considered expressing your views directly to the RI Attorney General?

8. Retired Senior

Retired Senior

Driving:
    UberX
    When you're right, you're right!
    But did you really need one THAT BIG?
    You're gonna make EVERYONE feel small!

[​IMG]

9. kcdrvr15

kcdrvr15

Driving:
    Lyft
    here in kansas city to get an airport id, which allows you to pick up pasengers at KCI, the airport authority finger prints you and runs federal criminal records check, this applies to all taxis and limos. we even have to go through a check point where they may ck out your vehicle. rideshare drivers don't get this scrutiny. But, they cant park at the curb and go inside terminal where as limo drivers can.