Reviewing Dash Cam footage.

FLKeys

Decided back in February I was going to start archiving my dash cam footage. Just planned on saving it all, but now I see it is eating up way more storage than I thought it would. So I started going through the 5 minute clips and deleting anything with out a rider in it. I have learned some interesting things from reviewing the footage.

Women often hide open drinks in their purses, seen it many times in my videos.
Many women hide tiny dogs in their purses, seen it many times.
I did not realize how many women I pick up compared to men.
Women tend not to cross their legs very well when sitting in the center back seat. Some more than others should. We will leave it at that.

I picked up a group one Friday evening, a lady and 3 teens, or so I thought. Lady gets in the front seat and before she closes the door says, hey Rachel you get up there I'll sit back there. She gets out and walks around the front of the car to the driver side back door and a teen comes around and sits next to me. I take them to destination, movie theater and they all get out and go. While I was review videos for PAX I noticed four teens in my car. WTH! Upon reviewing the whole video mom played the ole switcharo, instead of getting in behind me another teen did and mom exited out of sight directly behind my car. I could see here shuffling off out the rear window in the footage. Wonder how many times they pulled this crap off, they had it down to an art.

Lesson learned, I'm now looking for the little sun visor mirror I used to have when I had little kids so I can see everything going on behind me.

Most of my issues seem to be females???? Strange, I would have never guessed that.

ZenUber

Decided back in February I was going to start archiving my dash cam footage. Just planned on saving it all, but now I see it is eating up way more storage than I thought it would. So I started going through the 5 minute clips and deleting anything with out a rider in it. I have learned some interesting things from reviewing the footage.

Women often hide open drinks in their purses, seen it many times in my videos.
Many women hide tiny dogs in their purses, seen it many times.
I did not realize how many women I pick up compared to men.
Women tend not to cross their legs very well when sitting in the center back seat. Some more than others should. We will leave it at that.

I picked up a group one Friday evening, a lady and 3 teens, or so I thought. Lady gets in the front seat and before she closes the door says, hey Rachel you get up there I'll sit back there. She gets out and walks around the front of the car to the driver side back door and a teen comes around and sits next to me. I take them to destination, movie theater and they all get out and go. While I was review videos for PAX I noticed four teens in my car. WTH! Upon reviewing the whole video mom played the ole switcharo, instead of getting in behind me another teen did and mom exited out of sight directly behind my car. I could see here shuffling off out the rear window in the footage. Wonder how many times they pulled this crap off, they had it down to an art.

Lesson learned, I'm now looking for the little sun visor mirror I used to have when I had little kids so I can see everything going on behind me.

Most of my issues seem to be females???? Strange, I would have never guessed that.
I haven’t looked back at a lot of footage, but little I looked at always revealed unknown surprises. I can’t imagine what all might be there, but driving 12 hrs/day, there’s just too much to look at. I guess I’ll never know. However, I think I can confirm that women are the sneakiest of riders.

FLKeys

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm assuming you're only keeping interior footage? How much HDD space have you used up so far?
I was saving all interior and exterior footage from all my driving rideshare or not. From Feb 1 until Apr 27 it was just over 5TB. I have been slowly going through and deleting all footage where there are no PAX in the car. If there are PAX in the car I am saving both inside and outside footage. I currently sit at 2.13TB freeing up more than half the space used.
It takes me about 15 minutes to scan through a days files and delete then ones not needed.

I'm sure if I spent more time reviewing all the footage of PAX in the car I would discover more little surprises. The ones I did find were all by chance. I also deleted one 5 minute segment with a PAX in the car, I did not feel comfortable leaving that file on my drive. It was a little over exposed. :wink:

PlayLoud

There are so many 5 minute segments, I can't imagine scanning through them all. I can eliminate batches where I know there are no riders, such as my morning drive to work.That's easy because of the time stamps. After a certain period of time, I could also eliminate all exterior footage. There is no reason to keep exterior footage forever. Interior however... If the Brett Kavanaugh incident has taught us anything, it is never too late to be accused of something. I recently picked up an external 10TB drive (insane sale), so I have enough for a good while. I'll happily pick up another drive if needed. It's really a minor expense given how long 10TB will last.

krbjmpr

I use an app on my phone, Timestamp, that I utilize to mark times. Ping, Pickup, Dropoff, Problems. Will go back to video later and save clips.

Tip, it's really really helpful if dashcam and phone have time synced regularly.

PlayLoud

UberBeemer

I love that switcheroo story with mom and four teens! She must be a really cool mom :smiles:
Unless there's backdoor action at the house... dad leaves, as the milkman arrives?
Post automatically merged:

No. An accusation can come at any time. Look at Brett Kavanaugh. Hard drive space is cheap. Keep your footage.
He is lucky there were no cameras.