1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Featured Reuters/Ipsos opinion poll - Most Americans wary of self-driving

Discussion in 'Autonomous' started by jocker12, Jan 28, 2018.

1. iheartuber

iheartuber Well-Known Member

Wow you are really funny ha ha calling me crazy ha ha but here is a serious question: what happens if April 30 comes and goes and there have been no major developments in any of the cities that Waymo is operating in right now? At what point do I have to turn the tables and say that YOU are the crazy one?

No need to reply because I know in typical fashion you will simply post some sort of joke reply anyway. I’ll just let the results speak for themselves come April 30

Linux Geek likes this.
  2. iheartuber

I did some research and the results are embarrassing— for Waymo. And, for you tomatopastetomatopaste

Waymo’s SDC service is up and running in Phoenix, you are correct. It’s a test program called “the Early Rider Program” in which a selected number of pax will ride the service free of charge in exchange for their feedback on how to fix the bugs.

You know how many people are in the program? 6. Not 600. Not 6000... but six. So let’s be clear, Waymo is up and running in Phoenix and it’s servicing all of six people. That in and of itself wouldn’t be so bad but you keep implying that Waymo is going to jump from six pax to 600,000 pax in Phoenix “within weeks”.

Again, you think that 599,994 people are all of a sudden going to start using Waymo’s SDC taxi within weeks.

Um... yeah.

tohunt4me likes this.
  3. empresstabitha

empresstabitha Well-Known Member

The same people who are building self driving cars are the same people who get hacked successfully left and right. Lets say self driving cars were like Nudes in your phone. We all know how so many nudes have been hacked successfully. That's why they say if you don't want it to be seen then don't take one., because the security just isn't there.

It was an Ipsos poll consisting of 2592 people, therefore not enough to make a valid assumption about how the whole of the US feels.

tohunt4me likes this.
  4. jocker12

jocker12 Well-Known Member

Hahaha.... Grumpy, Happy, Sleepy, Sneezy, Dopey and Doc. I guess Bashful is missing because it was too difficult to convince.

tohunt4me likes this.
  5. tomatopaste

tomatopaste Well-Known Member

You're not very good at research

6. goneubering

goneubering Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Six??!!

LOL

How embarrassing. Then you have to add the humiliation of Waymo only being able to use Chryslers. It’s not surprising they took the Google Cars name off this experiment.

tohunt4me likes this.
  7. tomatopaste

8. tomatopaste

Really? You're saying 5 and 12 are not even an issue? Really?!

panic 3.PNG

9. Disgusted Driver

Disgusted Driver Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    forget about rideshare for a moment. Self driving card will ultimately win. Some companies will go belly up but chances are that self driving cars will ultimately be safer particularly if most are self driving. They can start talking to each other and increasing through put on major arteries and conceivably provide am opening for ride share to offer car as a utility rather than a purchase. It will take a while but it will come. My opinion is that the folks who got in early will mostly overspend, some will go bankrupt but progress will march on. It will be in long haul rigs even sooner. There will be the occasional freak accident but 30k people die each year in car accidents and many more get injured. Those numbers will go down drastically because the cars will learn from their mistakes.

10. jocker12

You wrote 142 words containing 8 major errors, made 3 reasonable statements and a huge speculation. Thank you for your efforts!

11. Disgusted Driver

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    Were you planning on breaking it down for me or was this just one meaningless post with 0 to back it up?

12. iheartuber

And... right on cue, he replies with the joke as predicted.

You just say I’m wrong with no back up? Just because you say so?

Here’s my back up (link below). Be sure to scroll down where it says “meet our riders” and it’s just six people (3 couples).

Prove I’m wrong or else I’ll just keep laughing at you.

https://waymo.com/apply/

13. tomatopaste

hehehehehehehehe

Oh lordy! Watch the video in the link. Candice and Ted have 4 kids. 2 plus 4 equals 6 all by themselves.

Also from your link: (and this is from a year ago)

early rider.PNG
    So Waymo has 600 self driving mini vans in Phoenix and just ordered thousands more, just for Candice and Ted? Is that about right?

14. jocker12

I don't need to back it up with anything if you will have the curiosity to read my last 6 months comments and posts on this section of the forum.

My meaningless post gives information about you using less than 18 words to express a fundamental error. That is an accomplishment few can achieve.

One thing to show you how disconnected you are from reality. All this self driving cars mumbo jumbo is done by corporations. There is insignificant to zero government or academic involvement in this so called "development". At some point in your "less than 18 words for an error" comment, you say "but progress will march on", and that shows us how clueless you are when it comes to corporate goals. Do you know the differences between profit and progress and what corporations are capable of to achieve their profits?

Reading your statement, one will be inclined to think you are a corporate shill, but I am not here to point fingers.

Question - how many Segways do you see around (if you know what I mean)?

15. iheartuber

Ok fair enough. It’s not 6 pax it’s 3600 (6 x 600 cars). Plus it might not even be that much! Using Waymo’s own words they say “we MAY have UP
    TO hundreds of riders this year”. So it’s anywhere from a “few hundred” to a 3600 if all cars were maxed out.

Either way that’s still a very far cry from the millions of pax in LA or the hundreds of thousands of pax Uber has in Phoenix.

I guess you’re using that “try to trip him up on a nit pick thing” argument device again.

Apart from me conceding that I was off on my numbers, my initial argument still stands which is as follows:

There is no way that Waymo (“No
    Waymo”) is going to jump from 3600 pax to hundreds of thousands or millions of pax in “a few weeks”

You will of course reply to that by either making a (dumb) joke or by simply flat out boasting that what you proclaim simply is going to happen. Whatever. I care not for your childish replies.

April 30 the proof will be in the pudding.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
  16. tomatopaste

So you're saying companies tend to have more customers after they actually launch the product than when they're in beta? Good to know.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
  17. iheartuber

What I’m saying is your claim that this is all going to take off “within weeks” is insane

And since you won’t listen to reason the only way I can prove it to you is to wait, see it happen as I predict, and then show you

So we wait...

18. goneubering

goneubering Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    What happens on April 30?

19. iheartuber

tomatopastetomatopaste has claimed on numerous occasions that in “just a few weeks” Waymo will come out of beta test mode, into full mode and very very quickly soonafter the floodgates will open and public demand will be off the charts.

I called his bluff and set a date of April 30 which is a full TWELVE weeks away.

If by then tomato's bold predictions fall flat I would love to hear the excuse he comes up with

20. Disgusted Driver

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    No way I'm reading last 6 months of your posts. I see enough on this one thread. You have an opinion, I have an opinion. I happen to think mine is sounder but only history will tell. I have no doubt that there will be many companies that lose their shirts on this just like there were many companies that went down in flames renting DVD's via the mail. The fact that a survey finds people don't trust them, means little. I don't trust them now, you would have to pay me to try one on a closed track. Super markets, frozen food and a host of other things were met with initial resistance. The company that wins is not necessarily the first to market, it's the one that wins over consumers with a good value or convenience proposition. Segway's time came and went if it ever really came. They were too expensive from the start. Great idea, advanced the tech but I'm guessing they lost money on them. Now you can get a hoverboard for a few bucks and get most of what a Segway does. So what's the point.
    Govt. involvement in autonomous vehicles, how about DARPA? much of the early work was University grant funded and DARPA challenge. Now it's up to some company to figure out how to monetize it. Just like many ecommerce sites failed, many early entrants to the race will fail as well. But someone will get it right and it will get better. Again, my opinion based on my background and experience. No need to be snide and dismissive.