Restaurant bag comes open during delivery? What to do?

tkman

I sat at a McD's drive through to pick up an order. It took too long and when I got to the window the person handed me the bag, as I reached across and took the bag the tape holding the top closed came undone and the bag started to open. I used both hands to bring it into the car. The McD person handed me 3 new pieces of their tape and asked me to close it up for them. In my lap I tried to do this but it was not a work of art. I would receive a D at best in parcel wrapping under the best of conditions. Anyway this oddball taped McD's package was then delivered and since on one came to the door I just left it on the step. I later received notice that I had a complaint on a delivery of suspected tampering. I can only assume it was this delivery and not some other. What would you do in this situation. This was the first time it had happened. I have decided if this happened again I would get the McD's person to repackage. If it happens en route and not right at the restaurant I would text the customer and let them know this happened so they are not left wondering why it arrived in such an odd manner. In situations like this if Uber had timely effective communication with drivers I would have asked what to do but I am not going to sit on hold to get an answering machine and an email the next day. What would you do?

Slave2daEats

Keep a stapler in your car, with spare staples. If the bag isn't sealed already, staple it yourself. If the seals are coming off or not sealed properly, reinforce it with some staples. Helps to protect yourself against tampering/theft allegations, especially if the order is missing items.

Just do it discretely though, don't let customers or restaurants know you staple it yourself or who's to say you didn't take something out first.

Im_The_Brains

If it’s bad, call support and let them know the food was damaged on transit. Better to cover your ass then to deliver something that looks shady. I’ve been called out on this before especially at Burger King where they simply roll the bag down and it looks all crappy. Jack-in-the-Box too.

Seamus

I've had it happen a couple of times where the sticker just won't stick. I just pointed it out to the customer and reassured them I didn't dip into it! LOL. Never had a problem.

ThanksUber

If it's McDonald's and your still at the restaurant just cancel the order. I cancel every time the package look like crap. I can't eat the food so I just leave it on the counter and walk out. If it's a drivethur pickup I just toss it out the window after I cancel. At one McDonald's here in Minneapolis they have a garbage can right at the exit of the drivethur for tossing those orders.

Uberguyken

I sat at a McD's drive through to pick up an order. It took too long and when I got to the window the person handed me the bag, as I reached across and took the bag the tape holding the top closed came undone and the bag started to open. I used both hands to bring it into the car. The McD person handed me 3 new pieces of their tape and asked me to close it up for them. In my lap I tried to do this but it was not a work of art. I would receive a D at best in parcel wrapping under the best of conditions. Anyway this oddball taped McD's package was then delivered and since on one came to the door I just left it on the step. I later received notice that I had a complaint on a delivery of suspected tampering. I can only assume it was this delivery and not some other. What would you do in this situation. This was the first time it had happened. I have decided if this happened again I would get the McD's person to repackage. If it happens en route and not right at the restaurant I would text the customer and let them know this happened so they are not left wondering why it arrived in such an odd manner. In situations like this if Uber had timely effective communication with drivers I would have asked what to do but I am not going to sit on hold to get an answering machine and an email the next day. What would you do?
I would have never accepted the $3.85 delivery fee to deliver McDonald's to start with.... Problem solved

tohunt4me

Blame " RUSSIAN HACKERS " !

tkman

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
If it’s bad, call support and let them know the food was damaged on transit. Better to cover your ass then to deliver something that looks shady. I’ve been called out on this before especially at Burger King where they simply roll the bag down and it looks all crappy. Jack-in-the-Box too.
Calling support right now seems a big time delay. Slow response. If there was better support response I could see this as an option.

Oscar Levant

What would I do? First, I have NEVER waited in a drive through. IF they don't let me inside, I cancel.
That ends that problem right there. Its much easier to deal with things like this if you are at the counter.

In my experience, when I call support, I usually get someone ( albeit in the Philippines or Mumbai ) fairly quickly. It's more of a problem on weekends. For years, we never had that kind of driver support, we never even were given a phone number, so that situation, for me, has improved.
Post automatically merged:

I'm 69, (hon. discharge '87) ya think they'll take me back ?