1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. Sign-up HERE!

Reporter looking for Uber Black drivers struggling to make car payments

Discussion in 'Licensed' started by Caroline O'Donovan, Mar 7, 2016.

1. Dontmakemepullauonyou

Dontmakemepullauonyou Well-Known Member

You should be doing your story on uberX, uberXL drivers. They are the real uber slaves, it's like you see the homeless person begging for money and you ask the guy with a $1,000 suit if he needs $20.

2. Caroline O'Donovan

Caroline O'Donovan Member

Hi! I'm interested in stories of all kinds about all Uber drivers and people who are having a hard time. The story I'm working on today just happens to be about Uber Black and their specific circumstances — more expensive cars, more fuel burned, the cost of licenses and commercial insurance, etc. Feel free to DM me with your story or ideas though!

tohunt4me likes this.
  3. Caroline O'Donovan

Caroline O'Donovan Member

Thanks for replying! I'd love to see the emails you're referring to, if you have them. You can get me here or at caroline.odonovan@buzzfeed.com

4. Dontmakemepullauonyou

Feel free to click forums then new posts and you have info for days. Uber enslaves all classes of uber.

ABC123DEF likes this.
  5. Dontmakemepullauonyou

If the demand is low and/or too many active drivers uber's next move is to cut the rates. I wish you would actually do some reporting instead of a fluff piece.

6. 20yearsdriving

20yearsdriving Well-Known Member

In advance I apologize for the stupidity you will get from 10% of forum members

Don't lose faith on the other 90%

Thank you for your work

BEXi and Ms.Doe like this.
  7. SumGuy

SumGuy Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    Caroline O'DonovanCaroline O'Donovan I am pretty sure there are more UberX cars getting repo'ed then Black.

8. azndriver87

azndriver87 Well-Known Member

no offense, but no one takes buzzfeed seriousily.

9. bmoses

bmoses New Member

Uber Black has bigger problems than car repayments....
    They are all about to lose their Hire Car plates....in Sydney Australia.
    They will lose all their special rights as professional drivers. They will lose any Good will in their business.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2016
  10. Stu Pitt

Stu Pitt New Member

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    Im in San Diego< what would you buy starting out? I have 12k.

11. August 9

August 9 New Member

Uber black,really come on now is there anyone here that thought it was for anything else then uber black,lol.

tohunt4me likes this.
  12. August 9

August 9 New Member

13. Michael Sotomayor

Michael Sotomayor Active Member

Driving:
    UberXL
    Of course you can clear that very fast.. but those aren't the only MAJOR expenses you accrue while doing business as FHV. when you add the other half your income starts to look very small compared to the 70 hour week you just slaved.

14. Taxi Driver in Arizona

Taxi Driver in Arizona Well-Known Member

Driving:
    Taxi
    A used Prius. Don't pay over $10,000.

15. Taxi Driver in Arizona

Taxi Driver in Arizona Well-Known Member

Driving:
    Taxi
  16. Sandwichman

Sandwichman Member

You should talk to the uber black drivers in Philadelphia like myself

It's a pain out there

17. unPat

unPat Well-Known Member

I didn't realize driving uber black was an issue . I drive for 65¢ per mile and turns out black drivers were getting almost $10 per mile. Now even if you get 3 airport runs you will make more than a uber x driver in 3 days.

18. Geezeeduzit

Geezeeduzit New Member

I leased a car thru uber Xchange for a while and did quite well. The problem is that they don't disclose to u the APR until just before its contract time. I assumed it would be about 19% and I was right. When I leased I forced the dealer to find me a less expensive car on his lot and have uber approve it for Xchange leasing, which they did. He told me he had been doing these leases for 2 years and I was the first person to ever come in there and actually crunch the numbers. He said most people just pull up in a bucket and get starry eyes at a new car and sign on the dotted line. So drivers are doing it to themselves. I had a 2014 Sentra for $100 a week with unlimited miles. When I was done with the lease early because a fam member gave me a nice car, I returned the car after 9 months, I had put 36k miles on the car and all I had to do was forfeit the initial $250 deposit. No other charges. Super easy and reasonable. So when I hear drivers whining about the lease program I have to call BS. It's not Uber's fault that people are too dumb to crunch the numbers.

Semahj likes this.
  19. crazy916

crazy916 Well-Known Member

Driving:
    UberX
    I have to agree with you on this one. I have seen people lease a fully loaded Altima at over $250 a week. I was originally going to lease a Versa but being 6'4" I could not fit in it, so I went with a base model Sentra. My payment is $157 a week or if you include the cost of insurance I am paying $27 dollar a day.

20. Geo305

Geo305 Member

Hi Caroline O'Donovan,

We all are being used to dominate the taxi market. There is so much need to work and make a living and consumers are not aware this is doing more harm then good for the economy. There is a supply and demand issue at play and ridesharing companies are riding the wave of self contracting ignorance. We are helping uber destroy the taxi industry because we need to save or make money. There is corruption in the taxi industry but a bigger monster took its place.