Report from the Uber Office

Yankee

So, I stopped by the office today to register a new vehicle while my regular one is in the shop. However, I was not able to get it inspected. Why? That would be because the Uber office was once again choked to the gills with newbies signing up to drive. I was so fkg shocked I just had to crack up laughing. Things are so slow in this town now, and will be that way until UT re-opens in August, and yet Uber is still on boarding so many new drivers that we can all look forward to even more over-saturation. There was such a long waiting list, the staff told everyone they'd have to wait until after the lunch hour to get registered. Standing room only. And, of course, existing drivers like myself fall thru the cracks because signing up newbies is more important than taking care of veterans and making sure we stay on the road. Yes. This is the sad state of affairs here. Just thought y'all would like to know what's coming.

LAuberX

Uber prefers newbies... they drive 15 minutes to get a pax, they wait 10 minutes for free, they don't cancel on bullshit names or low ratings.... better for Uber!

Uber just cares about the $1.00/ride + 20-30% of the fare... not the guy in the left front seat.

Yankee

Uber prefers newbies... they drive 15 minutes to get a pax, they wait 10 minutes for free, they don't cancel on bullshit names or low ratings.... better for Uber!

Uber just cares about the $1.00/ride + 20-30% of the fare... not the guy in the left front seat.

You just summed it up in a nutshell.

Ziggy

I stopped by the office today
Thanks for the news. I think every time a veteran goes to the office, they need to make it a point to tell the noobs - there is no money to be made in Uberland, so don't quit their day job. I guess hiring all these noobs is a way for Uber to offset the Gas Card ... since you need to take 200 pax trips/month to qualify for the card; it will be hard to do that with so many more cars on the road

Ziggy

Snap ... looks like I have to go to the office today and follow my own advice ... seems like my 2 trips today got downgraded from Select to X ... gotta get that straightened out pronto!

Tx rides

I
Snap ... looks like I have to go to the office today and follow my own advice ... seems like my 2 trips today got downgraded from Select to X ... gotta get that straightened out pronto!
Are they making you accept X? I've heard that has been happening.

Lang

Advice to new drivers. Bottom Line: Drive when and where you wish and make minimum wage or work as an entry-level employee for some company that pay minimum wage. Or, do Uber/Lyft until you find or create your own rainbow gig. And, don't quit your day job to do ride share. If you work at ride share and have wife and kids you probably qualify for Food Stamps! Thus, the government is subsidizing ride share drivers!

Yankee

Advice to new drivers. Bottom Line: Drive when and where you wish and make minimum wage or work as an entry-level employee for some company that pay minimum wage. Or, do Uber/Lyft until you find or create your own rainbow gig. And, don't quit your day job to do ride share. If you work at ride share and have wife and kids you probably qualify for Food Stamps! Thus, the government is subsidizing ride share drivers!

Excellent, realistic advice. Thanks!

Stratos

I would also like to add that if you are doing this as a part time gig to remember that this is only part time. Don't go driving 40hrs a week or more all the time. Make realistic goals for how much you want to make a month. When you reach it be happy and don't let the negative posters wear you down. You are here to make money be real about your expectations and you will do just fine.

Ziggy

Sounds like you got it taken care of quick. Glad for you and your money making machine.
When asked by noobs how much money I was making with Uber ... I told 'em ... "it's taking twice as long to make the same money I made several months ago, probably due to too many drivers and the fact that school is out" ... (which is not untrue) a handful left the office before "activation" for whatever reason

Yankee

When asked by noobs how much money I was making with Uber ... I told 'em ... "it's taking twice as long to make the same money I made several months ago, probably due to too many drivers and the fact that school is out" ... (which is not untrue) a handful left the office before "activation" for whatever reason
Yes, what you say is true. I've doubled my hours driving and still come up short each week. The silver lining is that it reminds me with a swift kick to the head: DO NOT let this become your career. Its forced me to be more proactive about my primary source of income. One cannot afford to get complacent in this, lest you starve. It is fkg incredible how blatantly unconcerned Uber is about the morale of its drivers, even stooping to lying to all these newbies about how much they're going to make. "Make your own hours, be your own boss, earn $1000 a week!" Who wouldn't go for that??

Tx rides

Yes, what you say is true. I've doubled my hours driving and still come up short each week. The silver lining is that it reminds me with a swift kick to the head: DO NOT let this become your career. Its forced me to be more proactive about my primary source of income. One cannot afford to get complacent in this, lest you starve. It is fkg incredible how blatantly unconcerned Uber is about the morale of its drivers, even stooping to lying to all these newbies about how much they're going to make. "Make your own hours, be your own boss, earn $1000 a week!" Who wouldn't go for that??
We are brutally honest with our chauffeurs. I'd rather they trust us and go elsewhere if money is not good enough. Who knows....they may refer friends who don't need as much guarantee. They may just opt to drive for us during peak times. This is a cutthroat business on a good day , why make it worse with deceit?

Tx rides

Ditto ... that's why Uber will always be supplemental income for me.
IMO, PT drivers are usually stronger. They are not burned out, they prep for their trips with a fresh attitude, they don't tend to let things slide because it's the 6th day of balls to the wall runs

Last edited: