• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Renting through Hertz?

Marco Solo

If I rent an Uber-approved car through Hertz, will I have to apply for a new TNC permit & sticker for it before I can start driving?

Marco Solo

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
They don't answer. FUber driver support is clueless. No local Hertz office knows anything.

Using the driver’s app to set up a reservation appointment shows this place as the only Hertz Rental location that has cars--and it doesn't even have a Hertz sign! Classy Chassies Fine Used Cars @ 26454 Pacific Hwy S, Kent.
Screenshot_20181109-142127_Maps.jpg

dimwit_driver

They did leave out that little detail in their email spiel, didn't they? Your TNC permit is valid on other cars. For example, you could go get a job driving for ReachNow and they wouldn't have to apply for said permit for you. The question is whether the cars are stickered, or whether they need to be. Since new drivers and new cars don't have stickers maybe they're not worried about it for cars you rent for one or a few weeks. Or maybe Hertz has a Special Batch of rentals just for Uber. If you're really interested, and since you have previously mentioned already having a leased vehicle, I'm not sure about that.

I thought it was kind of interesting for certain circumstances. More predatory in that it is $ 214/week, but it allegedly includes insurance, etc. I can see how it might be useful if something happened to your car, like a wreck, and it was going to be out of commission for a couple three weeks, but you still needed an income and something to drive. At least it would allow something. Not saying it's the greatest thing since sliced bread, but I can see utility. For the long term this would be a horrible option.

AnfieldRiot

Go grab a used car from Hertz or Dollar, monthly payment will be equal to one week's lease payment. Down payment, shouldn't be much more than $500, even if your credit is so/so. Do not get stuck with the weekly rentals from Hertz, you'll be on the hook for many payments, plus a lot of upkeep that you wouldn't have to deal w/when owning a car. There rentals are predatory, STAY AWAY, especially if you're locking yourself into Lyft, this is not the time of year to be an exclusive driver for Lyft.

Risab1981

They don't answer. FUber driver support is clueless. No local Hertz office knows anything.

Using the driver’s app to set up a reservation appointment shows this place as the only Hertz Rental location that has cars--and it doesn't even have a Hertz sign! Classy Chassies Fine Used Cars @ 26454 Pacific Hwy S, Kent.View attachment 272752
Wow..this place looks legit AF...I would stay away from any of this.

mbd

Hertz sells high mileage cars ...those are usually good with no problems...
Only issue with the car is that 100 different people have driven it ... and they all drive rough. You could have possible transmission issue popping up
If it has issues, they sell it to the dealers, who will sell it for 3k more,
Dealers will say it is a fleet vehicle
Icahn owns hertz, pep boys and a investor in Lyft
If the car gets a clearance from pep boys, it goes on sale to the folks
If pep boys flags it, it goes to dealers , possible auction

Last edited:

Marco Solo

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Apparently, Hertz & Uber only opened at this location 2 days ago. I guess Google's street view foto is very out of date. I contacted the previous tenant (Classy Chassies), who verified Hertz moved in.

To drive off the lot requires an advance payment of $214 weekly rental + $200 refundable deposit + $47 in taxes. For the first week. The rental can be extended for a total of 4 weeks.

Found out from Uber Driver Support that the cars already are inspected but will not have TNC stickers. Thus, I will not qualify for rematches.

heynow321

Just go down to your local shady used car dealership and see what they have to offer. Sub prime auto lending is still very much in play these days. Take advantage of it

AnfieldRiot

Hertz sells high mileage cars ...those are usually good with no problems...
Only issue with the car is that 100 different people have driven it ... and they all drive rough. You could have possible transmission issue popping up
If it has issues, they sell it to the dealers, who will sell it for 3k more,
Dealers will say it is a fleet vehicle
Icahn owns hertz, pep boys and a investor in Lyft
If the car gets a clearance from pep boys, it goes on sale to the folks
If pep boys flags it, it goes to dealers , possible auction
Hertz, Avis, etc.. The major players in the rental car industry purchase their cars at wholesale prices directly from the manufacturer. The most common deals are brokered for xxx amount of years and can only offer certain cars from competitor manufactures. Typically, the deals also include a buyback program that will see the manufacturer take the car back and flip it to another dealer/seller, as well as percentage of cars being given to the rental companies to sell. One of the typical stipulations of these deals is that they are kept to a strict maintenance program, cars are to be overlooked at a far rougher standard then our own, this also satisfies the banks/financial suits involved in these deals as well. Long winded response now finally over, the cars are kept up very, very well.

Rental drivers... not nearly as bad as one would think. Rental cars in 2018 aren't treated like they were in the 80's for example...the drive it like a rental days aren't as prevalent as they once were... much like people always think hotel rooms are always trashed, they aren't and the same goes for rental cars. People know they are on the hook for a hefty $$$ if they do something wrong, sure there are idiots and exceptions to norm but today's cars are made pretty well and folks aren't typically pushing them to their limits day in and out, we as full time drivers are though... new or rental, we push our cars harder then anything Avis or Budget rolls off the lot. Also, a lot of ride share retread garbage is now being sold in the metro Seattle area via dealers that have solid rep., so one needs to tread carefully if they want to grab a used car.

For the random person who reads this and may be thinking about buying a car from a rental company. Look at it's plates, always take a car from the south east, they typically spend most of their lives in that region, easiest region on a car, weather, roads, traffic, etc....Never buy one from Florida w/an Orange Cnty tag, Orlando, those are typically very abused.

Fozzie

It's a rental promoted by Uber. HOW MUCH BIGGER OF A WARNING SIGN DO YOU NEED? This is Uber Exchange Leasing, Part II.

Run away and just finance a cheap vehicle that meets the minimum requirements.

Travis Bickle Uber

these are all red flags
Hertz, Avis, etc.. The major players in the rental car industry purchase their cars at wholesale prices directly from the manufacturer. The most common deals are brokered for xxx amount of years and can only offer certain cars from competitor manufactures. Typically, the deals also include a buyback program that will see the manufacturer take the car back and flip it to another dealer/seller, as well as percentage of cars being given to the rental companies to sell. One of the typical stipulations of these deals is that they are kept to a strict maintenance program, cars are to be overlooked at a far rougher standard then our own, this also satisfies the banks/financial suits involved in these deals as well. Long winded response now finally over, the cars are kept up very, very well.

Rental drivers... not nearly as bad as one would think. Rental cars in 2018 aren't treated like they were in the 80's for example...the drive it like a rental days aren't as prevalent as they once were... much like people always think hotel rooms are always trashed, they aren't and the same goes for rental cars. People know they are on the hook for a hefty $$$ if they do something wrong, sure there are idiots and exceptions to norm but today's cars are made pretty well and folks aren't typically pushing them to their limits day in and out, we as full time drivers are though... new or rental, we push our cars harder then anything Avis or Budget rolls off the lot. Also, a lot of ride share retread garbage is now being sold in the metro Seattle area via dealers that have solid rep., so one needs to tread carefully if they want to grab a used car.

For the random person who reads this and may be thinking about buying a car from a rental company. Look at it's plates, always take a car from the south east, they typically spend most of their lives in that region, easiest region on a car, weather, roads, traffic, etc....Never buy one from Florida w/an Orange Cnty tag, Orlando, those are typically very abused.
The 2016 Audi A3 I bought was a rental. Had been in Utah. The rental company had it serviced at the Audi dealership and it only had 20k miles on it.