Rental cars for UberX

fields

I'm seriously considering driving a rental from now on. My own car right now is in the garage getting fixed, who knows how much it will end up costing me. I think renting a car is so much easier, no more worries about maintenance, registration and insurance.

Splend appears to be the most heavily promoted but I am not going to pay a $275 joining fee when others aren't asking for it. Interesting they offer an Infinity for UberSelect for Brisbane drivers only with a rating of 4.75 and above, when is that coming to Sydney?

Atlas on the other hand seems quite good. $325 a week for a new Camry Hybrid, the money saved on petrol would make this a very good deal. Or the Hyundai i40 diesel stationwagon at $290 a week. Cheap to run on diesel and no more worries about luggage.

Does anyone have any experience with these or other rental companies?

Last edited:

tksduberx

I'm seriously considering driving a rental from now on. My own car right now is in the garage getting fixed, who knows how much it will end up costing me. I think renting a car is so much easier, no more worries about maintenance, registration and insurance.

Splend appears to be the most heavily promoted one but I am not going to pay a $275 joining fee when others aren't asking for it. Interesting they offer an Infinity for UberSelect for Brisbane drivers, when is that coming to Sydney?

Atlas on the other hand seems quite good. $325 a week for a new Camry Hybrid, the money saved on petrol would make this a very good deal. Or the Hyundai i40 diesel stationwagon at $290 a week. Cheap to run on diesel and no more worries about luggage.

Does anyone have any experience with these or other rental companies?
Why don't you buy a new car yourself on the lease basis. You would save a few thousand dollars after the life of the car working as a uber driver ?

Heisenberg 99.1%

The rental option does cost more on a weekly basis -you pay approx an extra $70 per week taking into account all costs than if you got a lease for the same vehicle - However, you are not paying off a depreciating asset, you also are not in risk if a major mechanical issue taking your car off the road for a week. So i look at that extra cost as similar to an insurance policy in that regard.
I pay $295 a week for a Splend vehicle.
The only real negative with Splend is their weekly limit of 1,000kms . I believe that if you are hiring a car then you need to be driving full time, and a full time driver would do over between 1,200km to possibly 1,500km per week. If it wasn't for the km limit i would recommend Splend.

tksduberx

The rental option does cost more on a weekly basis -you pay approx an extra $70 per week taking into account all costs than if you got a lease for the same vehicle - However, you are not paying off a depreciating asset, you also are not in risk if a major mechanical issue taking your car off the road for a week. So i look at that extra cost as similar to an insurance policy in that regard.
I pay $295 a week for a Splend vehicle.
The only real negative with Splend is their weekly limit of 1,000kms . I believe that if you are hiring a car then you need to be driving full time, and a full time driver would do over between 1,200km to possibly 1,500km per week. If it wasn't for the km limit i would recommend Splend.
Which car do you drive paying $295 sir?

fields

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Does the $295 include GST? I do 1500 km a week so for me the cost would be $345 a week.

Can you register with Go Car as well or only Uber? I don't use Go Car as I am busy enough doing just Uber but I like it as an option.

dcc.

Cheap to run on diesel.
The cost savings from a diesel engine is mostly because they are more efficient with highway driving. Given that Uber is mostly city start/stop etc, you probably won't save as much as you'd like from this. There's a reason so many taxis are Camry Hybrids, and none are diesels. Assuming the rental cost is the same, I'd definitely go with the Camry.

tksduberx

Does the $295 include GST? I do 1500 km a week so for me the cost would be $345 a week.

Can you register with Go Car as well or only Uber? I don't use Go Car as I am busy enough doing just Uber but I like it as an option.
I think as mentioned by Heisenberg 99.1% using this arrangement you are paying $70 per week extra which comes to $3640.00 per year extra. If you buy your own car and use it for say 4 years you are paying $12,000.00 extra considering $640.00 per year is spent on oil change etc. every year. Mind you, the new cars these days are very good and hardly break down plus they have warranties at the start.
More views / suggestions requested. We should work out on what works better for the drivers.

Derry

I also wonder what amount of return we get if we to were get a car finance say $10k car loan, how much depreciate we get out of it if were to make $8k gross in 3month? Can it work for tax input if to buy the car outright?

Any suggestion guys?

fields

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I also wonder what amount of return we get if we to were get a car finance say $10k car loan, how much depreciate we get out of it if were to make $8k gross in 3month? Can it work for tax input if to buy the car outright?

Any suggestion guys?
Not sure if it applies to this financial year but last year you could write up to $20,000 off your tax bill. If this is still valid this year financial year you could buy a Kia Cerato, perfect car for UberX, at $19,990 and deduct the entire amount of your taxable income.

ms700

I rent from Splend as well

The joining fee was harsh, and the 1000klm weekly limit can be a pain, but Splend's customer servide is top notch.

Derry

Thanks for the advice Fields :smiles:

ms700, is splend any good? I see that signing up fee is $275. How much does the insurance deposit fee? Is there any other hidden fee besides the weekly price hire?

ms700

If you can swallow the $275 sign up fee (and i "think" because thats a business expense you can claim whatever % back on tax), they are awesome and i recommend them.
There are no more hidden extra costs besides the weekly car hire, and the fact if you go over your 1000klm limit - $10 per 100klm extra over 1000klm.
The only other "hitch" you might get caught up on, is the minimum term; 4 weeks, and you have to give 2 weeks notice of your intention of returning the car, so in essence that makes six weeks minimum term. If you return early ie before six weeks there's a $1000 fee - ouch.

You have to attend monthly "catch up sessions" when all they do is inspect your car and kilometres.

I had the boss of Splend in the car recently, and he told me they rent out over 200 cars to Uber drivers in Sydney. They are also opening up new premises shortly where you can go and wash your car, vac it, have a coffee, chat with staff etc.

Any more questions, just fire away.
Ive got a promo code if you are keen, ill halve whatever benefits i get with you.

Heisenberg 99.1%

$300 a week

Hahahahahah
Well for the $295 (incl gst) i drive a brand new Nissan X-Trail diesel. It gets about 750km to the tank city driving
But good for you that you are so wealthy that you already had a car paid off that qualifies for Uber. You lucky duck you.
I guess I'm one of those degenerates that had a car too old that didn't qualify.
You probably only drive on Saturdays or just do a surge trip here and there and then go home or to your office ( or home office?)
If you were driving full time you would work out that it isn't such a terrible deal.
Especially since in one year i will be putting between 50 to 60 thousand k's on it.

Derry

If you can swallow the $275 sign up fee (and i "think" because thats a business expense you can claim whatever % back on tax), they are awesome and i recommend them.
There are no more hidden extra costs besides the weekly car hire, and the fact if you go over your 1000klm limit - $10 per 100klm extra over 1000klm.
The only other "hitch" you might get caught up on, is the minimum term; 4 weeks, and you have to give 2 weeks notice of your intention of returning the car, so in essence that makes six weeks minimum term. If you return early ie before six weeks there's a $1000 fee - ouch.

You have to attend monthly "catch up sessions" when all they do is inspect your car and kilometres.

I had the boss of Splend in the car recently, and he told me they rent out over 200 cars to Uber drivers in Sydney. They are also opening up new premises shortly where you can go and wash your car, vac it, have a coffee, chat with staff etc.

Any more questions, just fire away.
Ive got a promo code if you are keen, ill halve whatever benefits i get with you.
ms700 Thank you for the info and it sounds great deal. Reason i may be renting the car is that i need to save up a better car since my car is about 9yrs old and have done 200k kms. It feels rough and no wonder in every week i always get few riders rated me less than 5star which gives me just a balance or up and down of 0.01 decimal.

I have someone who can rent his hyundai i45 for $200 per week + insurance deposit $350. 400kms limit pw. Do you think can make good money with that limit?

Avago

ms700 Thank you for the info and it sounds great deal. Reason i may be renting the car is that i need to save up a better car since my car is about 9yrs old and have done 200k kms. It feels rough and no wonder in every week i always get few riders rated me less than 5star which gives me just a balance or up and down of 0.01 decimal.

I have someone who can rent his hyundai i45 for $200 per week + insurance deposit $350. 400kms limit pw. Do you think can make good money with that limit?
400 km per week?
My Nana can run up 400 km pw and she doesn't even go to church on Sunday's nor drive in the rain.
A decent 12 hr Saturday shift will see me run up to 300 km, so no, I don't think 400 km pw is anywhere near enough.
Splend at 1000 km pw + $10 / 100 over that is much better in the available km.

Derry

400 km per week?
My Nana can run up 400 km pw and she doesn't even go to church on Sunday's nor drive in the rain.
A decent 12 hr Saturday shift will see me run up to 300 km, so no, I don't think 400 km pw is anywhere near enough.
Splend at 1000 km pw + $10 / 100 over that is much better in the available km.
You are spot on Avago. 400km is not enough, it will last only about 3 days. Just a trick and he tells me he does 350km and makes $1200 lol comes to logic that can never happend. I drive about 3 days of 8hr shifts finished my whole petrol over 600kms. That is like $700 after uber cut.

ms700

Put it this way,

Ive had my Splend car for juuuust over two weeks. I let the missus take it to netball and to the gym on the weekends after hours etc etc, and i take it to work and Uber drive part time. In two weeks im "allowed" to drive 2000 klms, so far ive racked up 2400 klms.

400 klms a week is nowhere near enough.