Rental cars and Taxis

RichNH

I’ve always thought that autonomous cars were 10-15 years out due to the flaw of being intimated by pedestrians and other cars. I had a pax this weekend who presented an interesting solution. Remote drivers that can take control when the AV comes to a stop.

So the good news is you can still drive for uber, now in your underwear and with no car expenses. Put on your VR head set and try not to hit any drunk kids on union st at 130am.

Tinuviel

I have always thought that the largest obstacle that driverless cars have is public perception, followed closely by edge-cases and driving on the same roads as human drivers. If they were alone on the roads, they would be instant hits even with today's tech. Dealing with the unpredictability of humans though is more difficult.

I always thought this was going to be a more incremental change. AKA: take care of the easier use cases first. I am kind of expecting autonomous driving required on highways first. Then, once that tech has been out for a good couple of years, spreading to the more uncontrollable environment of cities and suburbs.

BostonTaxiDriver

Exactly and I can’t wait to see them do this on those hills in Beacon Hill with cars parked on both sides
How about making that North End turn from Sheafe Street, taking a left downhill onto Margaret Street?

Or Parker Hill Street downhill, trying to avoid a green line train on Huntington?

Oh, and will they know to pull over for police sirens, fire trucks AND ambulances? School bus crossings? What sbout bullets...will it know to just get the heck out of that neighborhood?

Never heard those addressed yet. Hmmmm...

Duane Mitchell

I live on a steep hill and I've seen drivers lose control in the snow. They instinctively lock the breaks and start sliding and spinning. If I'm out shoveling they start honking the horn, I look up, and see them sliding into the curb and bouncing off. The look on their face is priceless. I'd love to see the expressions on the faces of pax when they go spinning down a snowy hill bouncing of the cars on either side.

ROTA

I’ve always thought that autonomous cars were 10-15 years out due to the flaw of being intimated by pedestrians and other cars. I had a pax this weekend who presented an interesting solution. Remote drivers that can take control when the AV comes to a stop.

So the good news is you can still drive for uber, now in your underwear and with no car expenses. Put on your VR head set and try not to hit any drunk kids on union st at 130am.
Can i touch passagers boobs?