• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Rental car to drive Uber?

Enigmatic_

Hi, i'm new member here. I'm looking for a rental car to drive Uber and Lyft. I don't want to buy car first. I would like to try renal car (if there is any) for a month and then i will buy my own car.

Do you know does any rental in Jersey City provide car to drive Uber and Lyft or not? Please help. Thank you in advance.

VictorD

Hi, i'm new member here. I'm looking for a rental car to drive Uber and Lyft. I don't want to buy car first. I would like to try renal car (if there is any) for a month and then i will buy my own car.

Do you know does any rental in Jersey City provide car to drive Uber and Lyft or not? Please help. Thank you in advance.
For short-term there's always Turo.

https://turo.com/

Enigmatic_

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hi SuzeCB, thank you so much for reply. I searched online called couple of hyrecar locations they don't rent cars to driver Uber.

Caspita

Hi SuzeCB, thank you so much for reply. I searched online called couple of hyrecar locations they don't rent cars to driver Uber.
Did you go to the specific URL SuzeCB provided up there? The landing page specifically says for Uber. I didn’t go further after the page since basically you need to provide your info so anyways not sure.

Enigmatic_

Did you go to the specific URL SuzeCB provided up there? The landing page specifically says for Uber. I didn’t go further after the page since basically you need to provide your info so anyways not sure.
Yes, i clicked on the link and then made new account and then called one of the locations in Jersey City and asked them i want to rent a car to drive Uber and they said they don't provide cars to drive for Uber.

reg barclay

Don't some of the major rental companies (Enterprise, Hertz, etc) have some locations that do special rentals that are Uber/Lyft eligible?

Caspita

Yes, i clicked on the link and then made new account and then called one of the locations in Jersey City and asked them i want to rent a car to drive Uber and they said they don't provide cars to drive for Uber.
Hmm interesting .. hope you find something

Don't some of the major rental companies (Enterprise, Hertz, etc) have some locations that do special rentals that are Uber/Lyft eligible?
I think they moved aways from this business... just didn’t make sense for them I guess.. I recall SuzeCB doing the math for us once.. basically she got to have a free family car while she rented to drive lol

HudsonDriver4Hire

I searched online called couple of hyrecar locations they don't rent cars to driver Uber.
What locations are you talking about?? Last I dealt with them, their office is in LA. They don't provide you with a car. Submit your documentation and get approved to rent through them first. Phone# 213-805-8677.
Then search their site for available cars in your area, contact the car owner, book the car, then HyreCar provides the rideshare insurance policy and registration. You can use the car for FUber, Lyft, DoorDash, Postmates, etc.

For short-term there's always Turo.
It's "prohibited" to use Turo cars for rideshare and deliveries, but SKoS owners knowingly let it happen and SKoS drivers do it all the time. *smdh*

https://support.turo.com/hc/en-us/articles/203990570-Prohibited-uses

In NJ? Last I checked, not any more. Other states/cities, yeah. Only option in NJ is HyreCar.

I think they moved aways from this business... just didn’t make sense for them I guess..
NJ drivers were literally driving these cars into the ground. I heard stories at Enterprise of people getting into accidents and abandoning the car, or not returning them back when they were due. They had to report cars stolen to the police. On top of that, astronomical insurance costs and rapid depreciation, it was just a losing business model for both parties here.

this-is-why-we-can39t-have-nice-things-meme-30655.jpg

Last edited:

SuzeCB

Enterprise used too, until they realized how fast the mileage added up and how little the pax respect the cars. AFAIK, no more weekly rentals in NJ at all.

What locations are you talking about?? Last I dealt with them, their office is in LA. They don't provide you with a car. Submit your documentation and get approved to rent through them first. Phone# 213-805-8677.
Then search their site for available cars in your area, contact the car owner, book the car, then HyreCar provides the rideshare insurance policy and registration. You can use the car for FUber, Lyft, DoorDash, Postmates, etc.

It's "prohibited" to use the car for rideshare and deliveries, but SKoS owners and drivers do it all the time. *smdh*

https://support.turo.com/hc/en-us/articles/203990570-Prohibited-uses

In NJ? Last I checked, not any more. Other states/cities, yeah. Only option in NJ is HyreCar.

NJ drivers were literally driving these cars into the ground. I heard stories at Enterprise of people getting into accidents and abandoning the car, or not returning them back when they were due. They had to report cars stolen to the police. On top of that, astronomical insurance costs and rapid depreciation, it was just a losing business model for both parties here.

View attachment 251871
That's why when we rented the people at Enterprise LOVED my friend and I. Never had to hint us down for anything.

That, and when we'd go to re-up every 4 weeks, we'd bring a rotisserie chicken and biscuits or cornbread...

We used to get all sorts of breaks and concessions, our pick of the cars, etc.

HudsonDriver4Hire

That's why when we rented the people at Enterprise LOVED my friend and I. Never had to hint us down for anything.

That, and when we'd go to re-up every 4 weeks, we'd bring a rotisserie chicken and biscuits or cornbread...

We used to get all sorts of breaks and concessions, our pick of the cars, etc.
Those were the good ol' days when we could actually make some money. Frequent surge, good promos and bonuses, $20/week rental after 75 rides. Yup, the girls at the Belleville office loved me. No hassles, always on time, and charmed my way into all their best/latest cars. :biggrin:

Enigmatic_

If you’re planning to buy don’t spend more than $5k and get something you can use for XL too
The XL cars under 5k are way too old. Lets say if i buy Xl under 5K i think i will get bad rating because of the condition of the car.
What would you suggest XL under 5k?

SuzeCB

Those were the good ol' days when we could actually make some money. Frequent surge, good promos and bonuses, $20/week rental after 75 rides. Yup, the girls at the Belleville office loved me. No hassles, always on time, and charmed my way into all their best/latest cars. :biggrin:
When I started, there was the airport office and Union. Went to Union because there was a 3 month wait for a car at the airport. Union got us on the road a full 2 weeks before the folks on the phone gave us the reservation for. Then they moved the EWR office to Belleville. I used to run into the Belleville ladies all the time at the Jiffy Lube when I'd bring the rental in for service. Nice gals.

Lightning1181

The XL cars under 5k are way too old. Lets say if i buy Xl under 5K i think i will get bad rating because of the condition of the car.
Craigslist, look for Dodge or Chrysler 7 passenger vans. They are out there, not too hard to find. Run it into the ground and repeat. Keep your budget realistic and under 5k, you can turn a good profit on an annual basis. Plus, the mileage on the 6 cylinder vans is about the same on a 5 pax mini suv, and you do reap when you get the occasional xl rider.

HudsonDriver4Hire

Honda Odyssey or Toyota Sienna. Get on Craigslist and the classifieds, be patient, and get ready to pay for a Carfax or a good mechanic to check it out. A few months ago I found a reliable, low maintenance 2004 XL with 150k miles in great condition...for $1500! I only take it out on Fri, Sat nights, holidays and big events. It's never even seen a car wash with me, I just keep it smelling good and give it an occasional, light interior cleaning. It's already paid itself off + taxes + registration + 6 months insurance, and I have 4.5 months left to milk it dry. In December, it'll go back up on Craigslist. Wash, rinse, repeat.

STOP WORRYING ABOUT YOUR RATING! Just drive SAFE, keep the car smelling good and CLEAN, say hi and bye, speak only when spoken to and K.I.S.S. (Keep It Short and Simple). You gotta be a special kinda stupid to get suspended/deactivated for low rating.

Craigslist, look for Dodge or Chrysler 7 passenger vans. They are out there, not too hard to find. Run it into the ground and repeat. Keep your budget realistic and under 5k, you can turn a good profit on an annual basis. Plus, the mileage on the 6 cylinder vans is about the same on a 5 pax mini suv, and you do reap when you get the occasional xl rider.
Thnk you very much for suggestion. How is demand of XL in Norht Jersey? May i ask?

Ride-Share-Risk-Manager

I am renting a crappy Hyundai through Hyrecar for a few weeks while my son is driving my car back at school. I got a Hyundai Elantra for $35 per day in NJ. There is a cap of 250 miles per day and they charge $13 per day for excess insurance. But, if I do some ubering and a few personal errands that I would spend money on as an Uber passenger get then I am covered. No rental car companies offer Uber or Lyft driver rentals in NJ anymore as they cannot make money on it. Hope that helps.