• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Remember when BlackBerry mocked the iPhone’s Chance of Success in 2007?

Kurt Halfyard

Author

la pulga

to be fair to BlackBerry, no one knew how succesful Apple would become. BlackBerry even did a survey amongst its core users and their reaction to Apple's new iPhone. Most of their consumers said it was childish and flinging a bird (refering to angry bird) will get old. and BlackBerry had two CEOs who could not aggree on the future of the company, and therefore delayed their reaction to Apple's success. and when they did start to compete, it was too late.

Ahmado

to be fair to BlackBerry, no one knew how succesful Apple would become. BlackBerry even did a survey amongst its core users and their reaction to Apple's new iPhone. Most of their consumers said it was childish and flinging a bird (refering to angry bird) will get old. and BlackBerry had two CEOs who could not aggree on the future of the company, and therefore delayed their reaction to Apple's success. and when they did start to compete, it was too late.
Blackberry and Nokia didn't know the word "development"

Apple could be moving to same direction now

hooj

I scoffed at Apple for a while until I met my lady, who at the time had a shiny new Apple Mac Book.

Now?

I got a 28” iMac.
A 15” MacBook Air.
2 iPads.
2 iPhones.
1 iPod.
2 Apple TVs.

PC no longer exists in my world.

Wish I bought stock every time I bought a device. ?‍♂

dmoney155

I scoffed at Apple for a while until I met my lady, who at the time had a shiny new Apple Mac Book.

Now?

I got a 28” iMac.
A 15” MacBook Air.
2 iPads.
2 iPhones.
1 iPod.
2 Apple TVs.

PC no longer exists in my world.

Wish I bought stock every time I bought a device. ?‍♂
Sell out :p

Kurt Halfyard

Author
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Years ago people used to bash Apple all the time (typically people with no experience with their devices or computers) based on their specs (always behind PC except for Screen Panel quality which Apple always was a leader). Usually it was the price point of Apple (often touted as unncessary luxury pricing).

I switched over after University when my WorkGroup Laboratory had some Apple Machines in the lab and these things had been running for years and were still working fine.

Yes, there is a price premium. But their machines typically last 2-4 years longer. This premium then becomes less of a money-sink, and more of a 'value add.'
I'm still using a 2004 Macbook Pro for some tasks. That is 15 years later, still a very workable machine. 15 years lifespan for tech of this nature is insane.

My current main workstation is a 2013 Macbook Pro laptop, which is 6 Years old, and still runs like I bought it yesterday.
Ditto my travel Macbook air which is a 2011 model (11" which they don't make anymore, sadly, but this one is still running like a dream).

iPhones I manage to squeeze 3 years of life out of. Most of my Google/Android friends swap devices around 2 years. So the extra couple hundred dollars buys me a whole year. Which is value.

la pulga

I agree. You do pay a premium price but they’re well made and lasts longer. I bought my MacBook Pro in 2010 and it still kicking and blazes through my normal usages without the slightest of lag.

The only issue I had was that battery stopped holding charge and had to be swapped out.

I also did upgrade the ram from 2gb to 6gb.

Well worth the 1200 and change I paid in 2010.

However, iPhones are no different from androids at the moment. Ever since the passing of Steve Jobs, the iPhone has stagnated and android have in my opinion surpassed it in every way. My Samsung S8 it still just as fast, and it has been two years, coming on 3 years. Not looking to replace anytime soon.

Last edited:

Yam Digger

The tech-world can make you filthy-rich if you have a great product / service that people want.

but....

the tech-world is also phenomenally UNFORGIVING! Just ask the people who created MySpace.com. Before Facebook, before Twitter, before LinkedIn, there was MySpace; The Grand-daddy of all things Social-Media that was wildly popular. But where is it now? It's but a shadow of it's former self, due to shear mismanagement. It's not even a social-media site anymore

Research In Motion was the tech-darling of Wall Street and Silicon-Valley North; but just like MySpace, bad decisions led it astray; And now, no one cares about it.