• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Relocating to SC

shoreman

Good Evening everyone,
I am in the process of relocating from New Jersey to the Bluffton SC area. I would like to find out some info into driving in the Savannah, South Carolina area. I've been drive in the Jersey Shore area for 2 years with Uber and since July this year with Lyft. I'm not to step on any toes or find out anyone's "hot spots" just a little heads up on what to expect coming to a new market. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

JimS

Bluffton craves Uber, but there are few around, because the few that crave it are unpredictable. There are a couple of spots, but most spend their time on HHI. You'll likely get an armchair ping to the Island and stay there. Problem with HHI is that it's half private plantation land. Uber has a deal that charges $2 automatically to the rider account going in or out of any of those areas. That's not the concern. The problem is that they are HUGE and you can only go 25 mph for the most part in them. You can spend 15 minutes driving one mile. And you primarily get paid by the mile.

Savannah is extremely saturated with drivers, but who isn't? There also seems to be a need in Beaufort - especially when there is activity at the Naval Air Station.

Of note, you'll be fine with Uber, but don't count on getting approved by Lyft. They are braindead and can't process an application for the Savannah/Hilton Head Island marketplace with anything other than a Georgia license. Never mind that you don't ever have to step foot in GA. I digress...

shoreman

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
No I'm not. I'm in the process of selling my home in NJ. I do anticipate being down there sometime in mid January for a couple weeks. How has business been?

Sariandan

Bl Naval Air Station.
It's a Marine Corp Air Station....

Of note, you'll be fine with Uber, but don't count on getting approved by Lyft. They are braindead and can't process an application for the Savannah/Hilton Head Island marketplace with anything other than a Georgia license. Never mind that you don't ever have to step foot in GA. I digress...
I'm struggling with Lyft on this now. They have Power Zones, but they are all in Charleston, and I fall into the Charleston area. I'm not driving an hour and a half to Charleston to hit PZs. I asked them to please switch my account to the Savannah region, since I'm going to be moving to the Hardeeville area (10 minutes from Savannah) so that I would get access to any PZs in Savannah. Lyft told me that since my new address is going to be in SC, still, they suggest that I move to Savannah instead, since it's only 10 minutes away from the address to which I'm moving. They said that if I move to the Hardeeville area, I'll still be in the Charleston region and too bad for me. I told them that Uber has my in the Savannah area. Heard crickets chirping.

I guess I need to find a way to get a hold of a real person at Lyft, someone who is not based in India, or wherever.

JimS

This had been a huge issue with Lyft since the beginning. They have a hard time processing the fact that Bluffton and Hilton Head are in the Savannah HILTON HEAD market. They are using a Georgia the that says that Heirs drivers MUST have a Georgia licence and address. Yet, I know of many exceptions...

Can can be literal on the law when they want and play stupid when they want.