rejected by lyft.. baffled...

Shad

I finally decided to take the plunge and do some ride sharing. I have a 2014 car on a lease with 4 months left and 10k miles left. I won't use those miles as I've been working from home, and the lease company won't give me credit for them. So I figured I'd use em up earning some cash to pay down credit cards. I signed up late last week for both Lyft and Uber.

The Lyft mentor sent me a text and set up an appointment for 3:00 on Saturday to have the mentor session. I spent Saturday morning making the car sparkle. I was finishing up cleaning and the mentor texts me and says that she's early (a half an hour). I told her I was still finishing up the car, and would be there as soon as I could. I cleaned myself up and headed to the meetup spot. I was on schedule for our original agreed upon time. I was getting off the freeway and she texted me, exactly at three asking me how far away I was. I replied I was getting off the freeway and would be there in a minute or two. (Meet point was right off the freeway.) I got to the meet point and had a nice conversation with her.. She took photos of my insurance and DL, took a photo of me and my car. Then we got in the car and she went over the app demo, gave me some tips and said, "Let's take a ride. You can just go around the parking lot if you want. I just have to say we did it." I opted to go around the block, maybe a 10 minute ride. I asked some questions while we were riding, like best times to drive in our area, asked about multiple cars, referrals, what I could expect to earn on a weekend (ballpark), etc. She answered all my questions, said that I was asking good questions. As we got back to the meetup location to her car, she said, "OK next steps is they will send you a text in a 7-10 days letting you know you are approved to drive, but sometimes it just takes a few days." I thanked her for her time, she said "See you on the road." And we parted ways. From there I left to get the Uber inspection done at the local Firestone. While I was waiting for the inspection to get done, I went into the Lyft app to familiarize myself with it. I went into the application status and it said that after final review they would not be going forward with me as a driver. I was a little confused. I thought maybe it was just an oddity in the app because they surely haven't processed my background check yet, (there's nothing there.. squeaky clean). So I let it sit till this morning. I logged in and it was still a reject. I sent in an email asking why and got a canned response.. So I pressed a little further.. I just got back this response:

I understand you have some questions about the result of your application — I’d be happy to take this opportunity to explain it briefly. The Mentor Session is done only once in an application process which is basically the make-or-break moment. As much as we want to reconsider your application, I'm afraid that you've failed to meet the criteria and while we're unable to provide you the exact reason it could possibly be due to how you dealt with the overall Mentor Session.​

That @@@@@ failed me right out of the gate. I thought our session went well, but apparently it didn't. I'm really confused. Other than being a minute late, the only thing I can think of is that there are some scratches on the side of the car from when my daughter touched the side of the garage when she was pulling out. I need to get it fixed, just don't have the $500 for the deductible. (one of the reasons I was going to be driving.) But the damage isn't THAT bad.

Any advice on appealing, or should I just give up on Lyft? I still have her number in my phone. Should I contact her to find out why she failed me? I'm still waiting for Uber to finish their background check process. I'm really irritated...

Bart McCoy

Were you really only 1 minute late? or 11?

Was there a couple scratches, or 42? pics?

Just like a dashcam, should have audio recorded the mentor session. I mean if she said it was all good and said you would be approved then that should be the case.

Also, unless I don't read well, did you contact the mentor and inquire? maybe she made a mistake? or was on her _______ that day?

Shad

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Literally 1 minute maybe 2 minutes late. Pic of damage attached. I've heard of drivers getting approved with more damage than that. I would think that she would have maybe pointed that out when we met if that was the case. And you'd think that they would say, "we noted damage on your car, come back when it's fixed." I dunno..

I have not yet contacted the mentor directly. Should I? Can she go back in and change her mind?

Attachments

DriverX

Maybe she just got a bad vibe. I think they use women mentors because of their higher creep sensitivity. I'm not saying your a creep or rapey or whatever, I'd just be aware of how you might be perceived. I know this German guy who says when he;s on vacation most women are afraid of him when they hear his accent.

Cascas

What a @@@@@, they are just drivers nothing more. She felt like an employer I guess. That's what happens when you give a loser some authority.

Not qualified my ass. What is there to qualify to drive people around for 65 cents a mile? What do they think they are, Empire Limo where you serve Rihanna?

Don't worry though, lyft is bs and very hard to make money. You are not missing out on anything. The way they handle drivers and do stuff with little to no bonus, I don't see them being around for a long time.

Last edited:

rudygti

Lyft is Orange County is a joke. Yeah they pay more.... But no one uses it. I keep both apps on and 15 to 1 uber to Lyft requests and I've tried doing only Lyft.... Depressing

Reactions: ctb

UberBlackPr1nce

Well 2 things you did wrong ( in the mentors eyes) when she asked you to meet early and you said "no" strike 1. Why? She probably wanted to fit more sessions in and make more money ( time is essential for mentors). Then she was trying to get the session over with quickly by telling you "you can just drive around the parking lot" you said no I want to drive for 10 minutes around the block..... strike 2. Mentor was annoyed with your lack of compromise. And whatever vibe you may have given. I used to be a mentor.

Cascas

Well 2 things you did wrong ( in the mentors eyes) when she asked you to meet early and you said "no" strike 1. Why? She probably wanted to fit more sessions in and make more money ( time is essential for mentors). Then she was trying to get the session over with quickly by telling you "you can just drive around the parking lot" you said no I want to drive for 10 minutes around the block..... strike 2. Mentor was annoyed with your lack of compromise. And whatever vibe you may have given. I used to be a mentor.
If someone tells you to meet at 3 pm and comes half an hour early, that's not the driver's fault and actually it is not professional. Being a few minutes early is the norm.

The whole point of mentorship is warming up the driver and answering questions they may have, not acting like an @@@@@@@ and doing job interview as if they are applying for a 100k job with 401k and full benefits.

At the end of the day, nobody is over the other. You both are drivers. A driver in the sense of taking people from A to B as a cabby. So, there's no reason to act like you are above anyone else.

I see some losers feel entitled and go on a power trip with this. I hope lyft goes out of business in no time. I can't stand their stupidity and the way they do things makes absolute no sense.

Lord Summerisle

My mentor was a supreme jackass who failed me for being much higher on the evolutionary ladder than him. I complained to head office and was accepted a few days later. Lyft needs to ditch this mentor crap. They need all the drivers they can get if they don't want to go down the pan.

Adieu

Woooow, she behaved 100% like a typical entitled minfare customer who acts nice and goes on to rate you 1*

And, NO, 1* ratings are NEVER about that ding in your bumper or the splash of mud on your fender ----- that's what gets you 4* ratings from the occasional mostly - satisfied customer who somehow thinks that giving you 5* would invalidate the praise they felt their 5* ratings carried for prior, especially excellent experiences (although really,on Lyft, that's what in-app tips are for)

She was power-tripping. 100%.

SandyD

My mentor said all was good, but I got a "Rejected - let us know when you buy a newer vehicle" message. I tried to reach the mentor but the phone number I had is probably one of those anonymized numbers. Yours is probably the same.

LATER I got an "all we need to approve you is proof that you bought some air freshener". My van had smelled of alfalfa hay due to having recently hauled a bale in the back. (Hey I like the small of hay!) Bought a $3 bottle of febreeze and sent a pic of it and the receipt. Poof, approved within an hour of sending it.

I'm not sure they are still doing the mentor thing - I stopped by the Lake Forest canopy to pick up new trade dress over the weekend.

AllenChicago

Shad, since you have your former Mentor's phone number, you should give her a call. The odds are good that she'll be willing to tell you why you weren't recommended. Cut through all the second guessing and go right to the source! (Be sure to say up-front that you're disappointed, but not upset. And you'd appreciate any advice she can give.) I would NOT mention that you were approved by UBER though. She could get you terminated there, if this lady happens to be one of those power-hungry evil personalities.

Shad

I may send her a text tomorrow. If she wasn't texting me through a ghost number and ask her why she rejected me.. I won't mention Uber.. Still waiting on that approval anyway. I just sent the following back to Lyft.. I doubt it will do any good but.. It's worth a shot right?

It's really an unfair system to have someone that would compete with you for rides give their subjective opinion on whether or not you can compete with them in the market place, and they're paid to do it.. You say that I didn't meet your criteria, but can't or won't tell me what that criteria is.. Just the "vibe" that someone gets from someone isn't a good judge of character or whether or not they would be a good driver. I'm a good husband and father of 6 daughters just trying to make some extra cash to pay off some credit cards. As far as I could tell, the mentor session went really well. We chatted for a few minutes outside my the car while she took photos of my id, insurance, car and me. We then got in the car, she went through the demo on the app, and went over a bunch of the rules and guidelines... I asked a few questions about ballpark earnings potential in our area. Then she said we needed to go on a ride. I could just drive around the parking lot if I wanted, just so she could say we did it. I opted to go around the block, asking a number of questions as we went. She told me I was asking really good questions. She answered them all. As we pulled back up to the meetup spot, she said that next steps were that she would submit my stuff, that lyft would do the background check and then I'd get a text when I was approved to start driving. I didn't receive any notification either way. I found out I wasn't approved because I logged in to the app the familiarize myself with it and tapped on the "check application status" button. The "mentor" gave no indication whatsoever that she had any concerns about me driving, in fact I would say the opposite. As we parted ways, she told me she'd see me on the road...

I would like another mentoring session with different mentor.
We'll see what happens..

Shad

I just noticed that the new driver referral bonus is a paltry $10, while the new passenger bonus is $20. Seems like lyft may not be the most lucrative game in town right now. Maybe that's why I got rejected. Been watching uber in the app and there has been surge pricing somewhere in town every time I look. Hopefully my uber application will go through soon.

JimS

Yeah - but a mentor gets $35!

Just curious - what market are you in? I was approved to be a mentor, but they "temporarily" suspended the program because of problems in another market (like they haven't been successful in over 50 other markets already?).

Looking at the photos, it's not enough to be not approved. I have a dent in my hood and got approved.

In my opinion, I agree with others that say that you should have done what you could to comply with her requests (being early and drive around the parking lot). I'm not one to be a big brown noser, but for a half hour, once, who cares?

Shad

I couldn't have been early, when she texted, I was outside washing the car. I was just finishing up, but then needed to go inside and clean myself up.. But honestly, I think that she had already made up her mind before we went on the drive.. That's why she said to just go around the parking lot. She knew she wasn't going to approve me before she even got in my car.

Uber48208

I couldn't have been early, when she texted, I was outside washing the car. I was just finishing up, but then needed to go inside and clean myself up.. But honestly, I think that she had already made up her mind before we went on the drive.. That's why she said to just go around the parking lot. She knew she wasn't going to approve me before she even got in my car.
Every situation is different but my mentor just had me roll around the parking lot with him as well. An hour later, I got the text that my mentor succession was a success and they'd begin running my background check.

JimS

I hate that you were not approved. There should always be a 2nd chance to weed out bad mentors. I can only imagine, though, if they are making all kinds of $35 sessions and not approving new drivers (to avoid over saturation, presumably?), Lyft would figure out they are getting scammed.