Regulation Of Ride Sharing / Taxi

Daniel_D

I know that this post will be controversial, but I believe that we need a seperate federal government body that can oversea and manage the taxi and ride sharing industry, they are both two halves of the same industry.

I say this because there has been a lot of unrest abount the ethics of uber and their lack of transperieny and oversight in their processes.

Uber is ONLY looking out for Uber, not for you or me or even the customer, they are profit driven company with a large war chest that gives them some clout in trying to push through rules that primarly benefit themselves first.

Uber is acutely aware how much money you make and with their metrics that they have on hand how much you make "in profit", and more importantly how much they can squeeze both the rider and driver to maximise their profits.

I firmly believe we are a taxi company, and GST should be paid from the first dollar and Uber should be paying their share as well, legistation that will come into effect on 1 July 2017 will ensure that Uber pays GST, but until then WE pay the GST for Uber as well as their commision, but i also believe that the rates are too low for UberX.

As ride sharing becomes more integrated into our society, more people will start depending upon this service, both interms of riders and drivers, and both have to feel that there is a level playing field.

I belive a government body needs to regulate this industry by setting all the applicable rates from per KM to commision paid to the "platform".

Taxi Drivers would be full time drivers, but they could also encompass UberX drivers who do this full time in their own vehicles, but with goverment sinage on their approved vehicle to indicate taxi privilages, and should have limits placed upon how many vehicles can have this privilage.
The RS platform - Ride Sharing platform would be for part time drivers and newbies and no limits applied, but limit their login time to a fixed amount per day/week etc.

Uber would fight this tooth and nail as they thrive on CONTROL, and this would reduce their control, but ultimately make the industry fairer and more transparent.

Anybodys thoughts??

WollyDriver

I know that this post will be controversial, but I believe that we need a seperate federal government body that can oversea and manage the taxi and ride sharing industry, they are both two halves of the same industry.

I say this because there has been a lot of unrest abount the ethics of uber and their lack of transperieny and oversight in their processes.

Uber is ONLY looking out for Uber, not for you or me or even the customer, they are profit driven company with a large war chest that gives them some clout in trying to push through rules that primarly benefit themselves first.

Uber is acutely aware how much money you make and with their metrics that they have on hand how much you make "in profit", and more importantly how much they can squeeze both the rider and driver to maximise their profits.

I firmly believe we are a taxi company, and GST should be paid from the first dollar and Uber should be paying their share as well, legistation that will come into effect on 1 July 2017 will ensure that Uber pays GST, but until then WE pay the GST for Uber as well as their commision, but i also believe that the rates are too low for UberX.

As ride sharing becomes more integrated into our society, more people will start depending upon this service, both interms of riders and drivers, and both have to feel that there is a level playing field.

I belive a government body needs to regulate this industry by setting all the applicable rates from per KM to commision paid to the "platform".

Taxi Drivers would be full time drivers, but they could also encompass UberX drivers who do this full time in their own vehicles, but with goverment sinage on their approved vehicle to indicate taxi privilages, and should have limits placed upon how many vehicles can have this privilage.
The RS platform - Ride Sharing platform would be for part time drivers and newbies and no limits applied, but limit their login time to a fixed amount per day/week etc.

Uber would fight this tooth and nail as they thrive on CONTROL, and this would reduce their control, but ultimately make the industry fairer and more transparent.

Anybodys thoughts??
I agree, an impartial body that will manage both Taxi + RS industry is needed (or just expand the existing structures to add RS). Also, I'm guessing HC fits in there as well.

Sure, Uber is only looking after their own interests, that is what every company is supposed to do (in fact, the law tells them that they must from my understanding).

I agree, UberX rates are too low, especially in certain areas (outside of Sydney, but even Sydney should be higher IMO).

The only *reasonable* solution is for GST to be charged on every dollar, the pax need to know how much the trip will cost, and that can't vary depending on how much this particular driver happens to drive.

I emphatically disagree on this body setting prices, the whole point of competition is to allow different companies to compete. Certainly they could legislate a minimum similar to how there is a minimum wage for most industry types. However, Uber should be able to set it's own prices, taxis can set theirs, Lyft can set theirs, etc...
Equally, why do taxi drivers have to be full time? The taxi companies might start becoming more flexible in allowing their "drivers" to "book" a taxi for whatever time period they want (perhaps the highest rated driver gets first preference, or first in first served, or least hours / week get priority, etc). Why not let taxi's compete also? Equally, why limit RS to a limited hours? Potentially, the only limits should be based on safety (ie, its unsafe for any driver (taxi or RS) to drive for more than 12 hours (or whatever is deemed appropriate) per day, and perhaps a limit per week (eg, 6 days per week). Limitations like that need to apply globally, they should also apply to couriers, food delivery, all professional drivers, (though heavy truck drivers might have even stricter restrictions).

I think a level playing field is needed, but also de-regulation, not over-regulation. We want more competition which will produce a better outcome for the consumer, with some minimal protections for the drivers (eg, minimum wage, minimum conditions, etc). Then let the companies decide how they can provide solutions that consumers want, to the benefit of drivers and themselves. With the right level of competition, then drivers will be able to choose which company they work for, or which multiple companies they choose to work for....

Just my thoughts....

Professional

What is wrong with the Federal Government and the ATO?
Why is Uber exempt from paying GST simply because they are domiciled in the Netherlands?
They are providing multiple services in Australia: the ability for the passenger to make a booking; the billing system and storage of rider's financial details; provision of a platform for driver partners to be paired up with riders; dispute resolution; etc...
If our government turned around and said that one eleventh of the gross fare (excluding tolls) is GST to be declared by Uber, or else Uber is not welcome to operate in this country, what Choice would they have but to comply?
This baffles me - is our government that stupid and don't they see the massive revenue windfall that they are currently missing out on?
Can somebody please explain?

Uber trial guy

Professional, to answer your last 3 questions.

1. Consumer demand
2. Drivers willing to break the law.

Uber operated here for a log time, illegally, as drivers were prepared to run The risk, and uber was prepared to some extent to pay for or fight their legal battles

Now the horse has bolted and too many people are deriving an income from uber. To tell them they are not welcome, and tell the, to pack their bags and leave will not work. There would be an uproar from drivers who have invested in cars, and make a living from uber, just like the upload from the taxi industry when they arrived, along with and uproar from the consumer

All these tech multinationals, uber, Google, Facebook, Ebay, Apple, ect are robbing us all blind and raping our country. Paying little to no company tax nor gst in many cases

I know in my day job, many of our "service" providers around technology infrastructure are now based overseas. Their people are here In oz, but their invoices for the work and services they provide to us come from an overseas company, with no gst, and in US dollars

As consumers and Australians we cry that we are being ripped off, and our living standards fall, and things are so expensive. But take away these tech companies product, and we will cry blue murder.

The only ones to blame is us as consumers as we want everything, we want it cheaper, and we care about ourselves only, and not the long term better good of our living standards and country in the long run.