Regulation Notice from Uber / Tom White

Larrikin

Regulation update

Dear Larrikin

This coming Monday, 4 July, new regulations that cover ridesharing in Western Australia will come in to effect. This official recognition of the ridesharing industry, and it’s place in our city, is a result of the great service you provide to the people of Perth every day - thank you.

As the new regulations come in to effect, we wanted to ensure you have access to the right information you need to understand what this means for you. The Department of Transport (DoT) has developed a fact sheet explaining the new processes and how to work with them.

We will continue to work with the DoT to make this process as easy as possible for you and will keep you updated on progress around this as it comes to hand. As you can imagine, the volume of enquiries they will be managing could mean there are some delays so we thank you for your patience.

If you want to contact the DoT directly to ask them questions on the new regulations, you can reach them on 1300 660 147 or at [email protected]. You can also visit the DoT in person at 20 Brown Street, East Perth.

Thank you for your support and for keeping Perth moving.

Tom White

General Manager, Uber Perth

DOT Fact Sheet
As an Uber driver with an F or T extension, how do I appropriately licence my vehicle to operate for hire and reward?

To work as an Uber driver within the on-demand transport industry, the vehicle in which you operate must be licensed as a Charter Vehicle. You can make an application for a Charter Vehicle licence from 4 July 2016. Your application can be made on-line via DoTDirect (you will need to be registered for this service) or in person at On-demand Transport, 20 Brown Street East Perth. To get this licence you must follow a few steps.

Step One: To start your Charter Vehicle application you must complete an Omnibus - Charter Vehicle Application Form. Log onto DoTDirect online and complete the Charter Vehicle Application, or go to DoT website and download the Omnibus - Charter Vehicle Application Form. Additional documentation will be required where the application is made in a partnership, company name or trust. A ‘Confirmation of Vehicle Financial Interest Agreement’ form will need to be completed if the vehicle is not licensed in your name.

Step Two: You must ensure that the vehicle has the correct Motor Injury Insurance (formerly Compulsory Third Party Insurance) class appropriate for your vehicle type and area of operation. To update your insurance class you will need to complete a Declaration of Motor Injury Insurance Class form. If applying on DoTDirect, this can be completed online.

Step Three: Once you have received pre-approval for your Charter Vehicle application you will be required to have your vehicle inspected at a Department of Transport Vehicle Examination Centre or Approved Inspection Station. A vehicle examination letter will be sent to you from the Department of Transport which you must take with you to your vehicle examination. Your vehicle will require an annual vehicle examination to continue to operate as a Charter Vehicle. When your vehicle has passed the vehicle examination, you will be automatically issued with a Charter Vehicle Licence Account.

Congratulations, you are now authorised. Upon payment of this account and your insurance class adjustment amount (if required), your vehicle will be authorised to operate as a Charter Vehicle. At this point you can operate with your existing state number plates, or you can acquire a set of Charter Vehicle number plates through the On-demand Transport office. A small plate fee will apply for the Charter Vehicle series of number plates.

PerthUberDriver

Ok, so the way I see it is being registered as a charter vehicle deprecates the need for the Uber app. You could essentially work for yourself in the same way as SCVs currently operate and use Uber for additional income only. If someone comes up with a way to provide rides say through a website or app in Perth it kind of deprecates the need for Uber. And because of all these new requirements I don't see that Uber could force you to partner with them exclusively. In fact you would be stupid to. Any thoughts? How will this affect the current SCV businesses who are on here?

Reactions: Daz

Larrikin

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ok, so the way I see it is being registered as a charter vehicle deprecates the need for the Uber app. You could essentially work for yourself in the same way as SCVs currently operate and use Uber for additional income only. If someone comes up with a way to provide rides say through a website or app in Perth it kind of deprecates the need for Uber. And because of all these new requirements I don't see that Uber could force you to partner with them exclusively. In fact you would be stupid to. Any thoughts? How will this affect the current SCV businesses who are on here?
I agree , that's my conclusion, that's hwy it's important to build your own data base. Also, as you can't cover everything, I can see where people will form little collectives helping each other out. I couldn't do a late job last night, but didn't have anybody to hand the job to. But yes, you are right, Uber wont' be necessary after 4th July, useful, in terms of client base building, but not necessary. I wold go so far as to suggest that there will be a two class sort of rideshare business slowly develop - those with great vehicles, experience and people skills and those without. I can see where another operator - perhaps a cooperative? - will start to cherry pick the good drivers and cars.

Dog

I'm VERY intrigued to see how much it ends up surging now. Half the vehicles I have seen ubering will not pass a proper inspection and I can only assume that's what the DoT places do. Also with more riders than ever but a shit ton less drivers, they have no excuse for it not to surge how much you guys say it used to.

UberDriverAU

Uber has the largest client base of any operator in Perth. That will be the problem for any new operator, regardless of who it is. It's not simply a matter of "build it and they will come", "they" need to know a new service exists and have to be willing to install yet another app on their phone. It's a major undertaking that would require lots of marketing money to be successful.

Reactions: Dog

UberDriverAU

I'm VERY intrigued to see how much it ends up surging now. Half the vehicles I have seen ubering will not pass a proper inspection and I can only assume that's what the DoT places do. Also with more riders than ever but a shit ton less drivers, they have no excuse for it not to surge how much you guys say it used to.
I've definitely noticed more surge and had more surge trips lately. That can only get worse if there are fewer drivers on the road.

Dog

I've definitely noticed more surge and had more surge trips lately. That can only get worse if there are fewer drivers on the road.
We will see as time goes on, if the poll on here was anything to go by, 80% people are stopping, part time people will go, the longer process will also made the recruit rate vs drop out rate tip in favor of less drivers

vinzvinz92

Looks like there are still plenty of drivers on the road haha. Maybe they were observing this morning+the dropout but since nothing happens yet so UberOn it's Friday!

haldriver

Uber has the largest client base of any operator in Perth. That will be the problem for any new operator, regardless of who it is. It's not simply a matter of "build it and they will come", "they" need to know a new service exists and have to be willing to install yet another app on their phone. It's a major undertaking that would require lots of marketing money to be successful.
The service provider who decides to only charge 5-10% commission and return fares rates to $1.30 a km will get the drivers in and without drivers Uber is an useless app.
We are all being conned that we need Uber.
We need an app provider who doesn't rip us off so they can lose our money in China.

Ben Hall

A good time for Lyft to come to Perth.
any reasonably strong competitor that comes up against uber will just be a part of the race to the bottom where fares are concerned.

In the UU when one drops rate the other price matches.

Why not encourage an Australian/local business instead of another foreign based entity?

Ben Hall

a new servi
The service provider who decides to only charge 5-10% commission and return fares rates to $1.30 a km will get the drivers in and without drivers Uber is an useless app.
We are all being conned that we need Uber.
We need an app provider who doesn't rip us off so they can lose our money in China.
ce provider will have to fight ubers Billons of dollars to get a rider base

Tonyc1

So does this mean we can't drive after Monday till the paperwork is complete and cars are inspected does anyone know
Could take a while to get thru a couple thousand applications and inspect a couple thousand cars

UberPig

a new service provider will have to fight ubers Billons of dollars to get a rider base
Have to sell the "aussie-ness" of the service (as in supporting small local service) and get the message out that drivers can't make a decent living from Uber. Drivers continue with Uber... Promoting the new service until we can twist the knife we have put in their back.. Muhahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!