Regional Driving

AnfieldRiot

Forgive my ignorance.

I want to be able to drive in Boston and PVD.

I will most likely live in PVD but could also claim residency in MA, Cape Cod.

1 -Is this possible for me to drive both regions

2 - ... and get Boston rates.

Uber & Lyft

RhodyBob

You need to register in MA to pick up in MA. That’s because RI does not have a background check and so MA doesn’t allow you to pick up in MA.

You can still be a RI resident but you need to tell Uber and Lyft that you are a MA driver. That will trigger a MA background check. Assuming you pass it you will be able to operate everywhere in NE (I think) for both L and U except just Lyft in CT.

You will also need a MA vehicle inspection. Not the usual safety/emission one (your RI vehicle inspection is good enough) but an additional rideshare vehicle inspection that makes sure your vehicle is clean, heat and AC works, seats are not torn up, etc. If you’re from RI you understand- another opportunity for the state (MA) to run the meter and collect yet another fee.

This took about four weeks for me.

Not sure if you can re-register in the driver apps or if you need to talk to the Imeldas in the Philippines to get switched. Annoying to have to go through it but once it all goes through (you’re not Charles Manson?) you should be all set.

Funny thought. Not that he needed the work but I wonder if Edward M Kennedy could have gotten in as an Uber driver in MA? Is there an expungement statute in the Bay State? Rhode Island wouldn’t have cared.

pepegas187

I’ll just drive Lyft until I get approved.
Maybe I have this wrong but an Uber GL Hub employee informed me that I won’t be able to pick up in CT unless I have a CT license. So regardless having a papal blessing from Uber to drive in CT, it still won’t work.

RhodyBob

I think that’s right. But I think Uber ct can’t pick up in Boston, but(this gets complicated) a WESTERN MA city designation from Uber gets you Boston AND CT. I don’t care about CT so a Boston designation works fine for me.

pepegas187

So if I read this correctly, I have to choose Western MA rather than Boston if I wish to drive in CT?
This may be a question for the GL Hub at 539 Smith St., Prov.

RhodyBob

Don’t bet a lot that the hub will know, and if it tells you something that it’s right.

I am a “Massachusetts” driver (Boston) and cannot pick up in CT. I’ve heard that western Massachusetts drivers (Springfield) can pick up anywhere in MA as well as CT but don’t know that for sure. Could be true, and maybe western MA drivers can’t pick up in R.I.

It’s any guess - and the hub as well as the Philippines will not necessarily tell you what’s what.