• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Refusing Highly Intoxicated Pax?

Andretti

After two months of not doing the bar closings, the last several nights I just fell into it be continuously getting pings into the wee hours and accepting them. So far so good - no real probs. But these were M-W weeknights.

With the weekend here, I think I'm going to refuse highly intoxicated pax if the situation arises. And I believe that's within my right.

Any suggestions on how to handle this?

T

TwoDollarRides

Even if you do find a way to screen the drunkies, you can have mister or misses good flunking Samaritan call a 3.4x surge uber for a completely drunken stranger and they will put them in your car. What do you do then? Refuse the 3.4x? I should have been more angry than I was, but then the drrunkee revealed her playing cards and I figured why the hell not. Anyways. Looking forward to some good tips!!!!

Oscar Levant

After two months of not doing the bar closings, the last several nights I just fell into it be continuously getting pings into the wee hours and accepting them. So far so good - no real probs. But these were M-W weeknights.

With the weekend here, I think I'm going to refuse highly intoxicated pax if the situation arises. And I believe that's within my right.

Any suggestions on how to handle this?

Here's how I handle it, I quit at 12 midnight, and compensate the loss by starting four hours earlier in the day. 99% of drunks occur after midnight. I work a standard 12 hour cab shift, noon to midnight, and 10 am t0 10 pm weekdays. But on friday and Saturdays, 12 - 12.

I_Like_Spam

Even if you do find a way to screen the drunkies, you can have mister or misses good flunking Samaritan call a 3.4x surge uber for a completely drunken stranger and they will put them in your car. What do you do then? Refuse the 3.4x? I should have been more angry than I was, but then the drrunkee revealed her playing cards and I figured why the hell not. Anyways. Looking forward to some good tips!!!!
If someone needs assistance to be put into a car, they are too drunk to ride.

Let the good samaritan drive them home themselves.

nickd8775

Only certain drunks are bad. There are a group of drunks that are actually enjoyable.
Drunks under 30 are bad in general. The drunks over 30 are generally responsible. They live in the suburbs, own a car and don't want to lose their license with a DUI. They generally tip (80% of them tip after being educated by my sign). They usually go out on Saturday evenings, after 5:30 and usually go home before midnight.
Stay in the suburbs on Saturday evenings and you'll get the good drunks.
College kids love to get wasted. They'll take an Uber 3 blocks from the dorm to the frat house and pay whatever surge because daddy is funding their Uber account. They'll pile 5 in an Uber X because the math requirements to get into their college don't involve knowing how to count. They don't even go out till 10 or 11 and stay out till the bars close or the party gets busted

Maven

Andretti, you're correct in that you may refuse (almost) any rider that makes you uncomfortable for any reason. One exception is a PAX with a service animal. If you do not start the trip then they cannot give you a poor rating. During the "drunk hours" in your town, drive up with the doors locked. If you decide to refuse the rider then apologize (optional) and drive away quickly, before an enraged PAX can do anything to damage your car, like kick it or throw something (like an empty beer bottle). Once out of range, checking that the PAX is not chasing after you, cancel the ride. I recommend, "Do not charge rider." Anything else gives the PAX grounds to complain successfully.