Red Rocks seems to be surging a lot... during the day?

mattadams

Not sure if anyone else has noticed this? I keep my eyes on the surge map throughout the day just to try to sense patterns and so forth, and often see Red Rocks surging... often into the 3's, in the middle of the day? naturally I was up there one time taking someone to their car, and saw it was surging real high so I sat around for a while, and watched the surge drop and drop and drop... waited about 20-30 minutes and eventually just gave up and left. There was a lot of people up there hiking, etc. but apparently nobody requesting rides. I looked and I was the only driver in the area.
So do you think people are really requesting rides from there mid-day like that, or is uber just acting goofy?

Archie Nelson

Oh yeah. I first noticed it several weeks back. A Saturday morning at 4 am and it was surging on and off from a concert still same 3.0 type of surge. I started watching and daily. On and off all day it surges yes

UberDez

Last week I got a 50% pt ride from lohi to red rocks waited up there for a few minutes than started heading back when I got a couple short rides around Golden right when I was getting ready to deadhead back to denver I got a request 75% pt from red rocks I was almost 20min away but decided what the heck. Sure enough a girl heading to the hotel monoco nice little run of random red rocks and golden rides
I've gotten request from red rocks when I'm downtown on lyft plus before also with pt attached but that's just too far.
Red rocks seems to be very hit or miss

Edit this was all mid day

mattadams

Yeah, it seems like a specific area, and seems to be over and over... and it is an area that does get a lot of tourists... just kind of weird that I've never really noticed it surging up there before and then several times in the last few weeks its been surging pretty high and steady for extended periods of time..

UberDez

It's just how the algorithm works even if they don't open the app Uber and Lyft are seeing that a lot of people with cell phones with their app installed on it are in an area with no drivers , so it surges but noone is actually requesting rides . The way Uber and Lyft work is they make an area surge before ride request happen so they get drivers there before the customer is ordering not after . If you think about it this way it makes perfect sense

arrrghhh

It's just how the algorithm works even if they don't open the app Uber and Lyft are seeing that a lot of people with cell phones with their app installed on it are in an area with no drivers , so it surges but noone is actually requesting rides . The way Uber and Lyft work is they make an area surge before ride request happen so they get drivers there before the customer is ordering not after . If you think about it this way it makes perfect sense

Or Uber and Lyft just 'make up' surges to disperse drivers... Especially if they show a surge map differently depending on the driver.

I am not a tin-foil hat person usually, this just makes sense to me. Certainly some of the surges are real, I'm not saying they are all fake - but I wouldn't put it past either company to do a bit of social engineering and 'encourage' drivers away from certain areas by showing surge/boost in other areas.

IMHO that makes more sense than having stuff work in the background constantly. I have watched the Uber driver and rider app, neither release their GPS lock unless I kill them manually. I'm in the habit now of killing those apps - but that's immediately after I finish using the apps...

Frontier Guy

Red Rocks does a lot of fitness events in the daytime. Friends wife is a nurse, she takes Lyft to red rocks every morning at 7 am, spends 3 hrs walking/hiking then comes home and goes to bed (she works 10 pm to 6:30 am).