Uber Drivers Forum banner
  • If you have joined UberPeople.net because your Uber account was hacked, you've likely been taken in by a scam. Please read this before starting a thread on this subject.
41 - 60 of 64 Posts
Sadly, we got rid of the red light cameras in Houston. They were installed at the intersections with the most collisions caused by people running red lights, and the majority were on the Sam Houston Tollway underpasses at Westheimer, Beechnut, etc.

Accidents went WAY down because of them. Then some little pissant ran the red light, got a ticket, sued the city and got them removed. Now accidents are back up. It is not unusual to be at one of those intersections, get a greeen light and have to wait while four or five cars come sailing through the red light.
I've been hit three times during the past ten years or so where the Beltway access road goes under I45 in the Greenspoint area. All three times it was someone running a red light. I was usually the second or third car in line! Twice they had no insurance. Third was a hit and run.

That's not accurate.

The city council and mayor agreed to put it on the ballot and let the voters decide. The voters went against the red light cameras. So the city removed them, even though it was expensive to get rid of them during the term of the contract.

Yes, there was some accident reduction. There was also, perhaps to a lesser degree, an increase in people being rear ended when they would slam on the brakes when a light changed.
Now red light cameras are banned by the state. We're going backwards here.

Nothing he is doing is irrational is it?

Here's your boy doing his thing. What a great man he his😒
Wow. TDS a helluva lot!

I don't think you're guessing, I know you're guessing. Unless you have some data to back up what you said you're guessing.
If you Google "when did Houston get rid of red light cameras," the following is what you read:

"Nearly 50 Texas cities, including Humble and Sugar Land, have cameras. Houston officials installed them, but then removed them after a voter referendum in 2011."

If you think that's made up or a guess, go try it yourself.

If you Google "when did Houston get rid of red light cameras," the following is what you read:

"Nearly 50 Texas cities, including Humble and Sugar Land, have cameras. Houston officials installed them, but then removed them after a voter referendum in 2011."

If you think that's made up or a guess, go try it yourself.
And how does that show any data for a reduction in crashes or an increase in crashes?

With regard to ticketing for gridlock, I wish the authorities all the best on that one. I see a lot of drivers doing a lot of stupid stuff in that regard. A few more tickets might be helpful for that.

For other stuff, not so much.

About a month ago, I got a letter in the mail from one of the toll road places. They said basically "Pay up, we got a picture of your car going through one of our toll booths."

Since I haven't owned that car for years, and it was an old license plate number for it even then, I called them.

The nice lady on the phone (and she WAS polite) pulled up the photo. Then she told me it was an Oklahoma plate, not a Texas plate. She said essentially "No problem, I'll fix it for you." I made sure I wrote down her name and the date and time of the phone call, just in case.
A bunch of years ago, NYC traffic cops weren't "real" cops. They were traffic cops, usually referred to as "brownies" for their uniforms.

They always wore long raincoats.

Always. All year long, and in all weather conditions, including heat waves, etc.

See, they would pull stuff like wave a car into the grid, and then that same Brownie would ticket that same driver for BEING in the grid. If the driver tried to fight the ticket by saying the traffic cop waved him/her into the grid and that, by law, a cop's traffic instructions to a driver overrides any existing lights, traffic signs, and quite a few traffic rules (emergency detours taking a turn that usually osn't allowed, etc.), the judge would point out that the Brownie wasn't a real cop, so had no authority to do that, and the driver should have known better...

So people started opening their windows as they passed Brownies, and would yell things, throw things, and spit on them.

Raincoats.

They've since been absorbed into the regular force and union, so I wouldn't suggest spitting or throwing anything at them now.

I believe theoretically speaking, a member of the public can report someone for breaking a traffic law. However that's rare, and might come down to one word against the other. I guess by extension, a police officer could so the same, but extremely unlikely, as an officer would usually pull the person over there and then or forget about it.
It can come down to one person's word against another, but then the question becomes one of who has something to gain by lying.

I've issued "Improperly Passing School Vehicle" a couple of times. My son is disabled, would take a properly-licensed and identified minivan that was a school vehicle to transport students to school. (He will again, once people at his school stop testing positive for CV19.)

My "neighbors" didn't like the idea they were supposed to stop when the can had its red hazards on, and would squeeeeeeeze past it as fast as they could on a single-lane street, leaning on the horn because... entitled. Meanwhile, they put the kids, who don't always respond well to being startled, as well as the driver and aide at risk of injury.

My word against the jerk, right? But what did I have to gain by lying? A safer street? What did the driver have to gain? Dodging a fine, possible community service, possible jail time, 5 points on the license that would result in state surcharges of $1000 for 2 years, and insurance premiums doubled for 3.

The catch is I had to go to court, which I did.

They have a ton of traffic light cameras in OHIO. Your garmin gps will warn you.
Needless to say they have to prove your driving . Wearing a hat or sunglasses sorry that is not me .
Also most people ignore them they tell me nothing happens .
Me i filed a judgement at the city that sent me a ticket in the mail. I was speeding for a medical situation .
I needed help none was available because they only use cameras .
We can dismiss my ticket or ill file my papers costing the city thousand of dollars .
Well all my tickets were dismissed .
Medical situation could be i had to pee my doctor told me not to hold it .

I can't speak to the issue of how service works in Colorado.

However, here in Texas (where my Significant Other practices law) there are ways to serve a person that don't require actually finding that person walking on the street. In person service by a process server is the first choice, but it's not the only way to serve a person who is trying to dodge service.

Like I said, that's here in the Lone Star State. (Your Mileage May Vary.)
Here in Colorado they have to personally serve you. That means they either have to find you and hand-deliver it to you or hand-deliver it to a family member who's over the age of 18 at the place of residence listed for the defendant. I live alone with my dog. so in my case yes they have to find me

Here in Colorado they have to personally serve you. That means they either have to find you and hand-deliver it to you or hand-deliver it to a family member who's over the age of 18 at the place of residence listed for the defendant. I live alone with my dog. so in my case yes they have to find me
They have a ton of traffic light cameras in OHIO. Your garmin gps will warn you.
Needless to say they have to prove your driving . Wearing a hat or sunglasses sorry that is not me .
Also most people ignore them they tell me nothing happens .
Me i filed a judgement at the city that sent me a ticket in the mail. I was speeding for a medical situation .
I needed help none was available because they only use cameras .
We can dismiss my ticket or ill file my papers costing the city thousand of dollars .
Well all my tickets were dismissed .
Medical situation could be i had to pee my doctor told me not to hold it .
This is why we need better enforcement on red light cameras.

I'm all for red light tickets/cameras.

I believe they make the world a safer place.

I also happen to live in a red state where they are active.

My requirements to support them.
1. No points on your license
2. Expensive but not financially crippling. $100-150 would be the sweet spot
3. Reviewed by a human before issuing them.
4. Fightable in court.

That said I've had to fight one, one there was literally a cop car dead center of the screen waving cars through the intersection around a car accident in the travel lane triggering red light tickets (straight had to go through the intersection through the left turn lanes). So … reviewed by a human my ass. I asked for a review and they didn't change their mind (again not reviewed) and I had to go into court to fight that one. Well the judge was pissed, thankfully not at me. He could see in the system that it was reviewed twice.

The second one I got?

Yeah I was guilty-ish. I realized that the ticket could have gone either way I was guilty, and didn't see the need to bother fighting it. No points on my license. I paid it and it never hit my driving record. Expensive enough to learn my lesson but not crippling by any means.

Are red light cameras are a flat $40 and our photo radar Vans for speeding are a flat $75. Then if you don't pay and you get served obviously you get process server fees and court fees yada yada yada but if you just pay the damn ticket to begin with it's not that bad... Unless you get three within a short time frame such as a week🤷‍♀️

Is it possible to get a ticket in the mail, if I was never actually pulled over by a cop and given a ticket to sign. I was at an intersection and the sun was in my eyes. I was at the turning lane to turn left and realized it was red Only halfway in the intersection when it was too late. I'm sure the person next to me probably just thought WTF, But let's just say he got my license plate. Would he be able to call someone and report me? From my understanding you need an actual officer of the law or red light camera to catch you, and that's how you get Into trouble. This intersection had no red light camera.
My best friend is police commissioner..she said no..if that was true people could call just to loss their friends off

41 - 60 of 64 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.