Uber Drivers Forum banner
  • If you have joined UberPeople.net because your Uber account was hacked, you've likely been taken in by a scam. Please read this before starting a thread on this subject.
21 - 40 of 64 Posts
This was all a hypothetical by the OP. There is no ticket. There is no fine. There is no offense.
Oh . . . and having been a pipe fitter in Plants & Refineries
I would like to Mention
DEWALT
makes wonderful Cordless Grinders.
Equipped with a cutting wheel
These devices can RAPIDLY cut down a steel pole
Supporting any " Offensive Devices". Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive lighting Font

( they can also Remove " wheel boots" another Urban Corporate Hustle promoted by traffic cam sponsors) Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Car Vehicle

Is it possible to get a ticket in the mail, if I was never actually pulled over by a cop and given a ticket to sign. I was at an intersection and the sun was in my eyes. I was at the turning lane to turn left and realized it was red Only halfway in the intersection when it was too late. I'm sure the person next to me probably just thought WTF, But let's just say he got my license plate. Would he be able to call someone and report me? From my understanding you need an actual officer of the law or red light camera to catch you, and that's how you get Into trouble. This intersection had no red light camera.
Why you worry?
If they got the evidence, you will get a ticket in mail. If they don't then you won't.
You will be okay. Don't worry. Just be careful next time.

We don't have red light cameras here for the past year or so. But, no, it's not a thing to just "not pay." You would figure that out when it comes time to renew your registration or license.
No seriously, enforcing laws if you could even call it one across state lines also isn't a thing. I've done like 5 times over the years until they dropped them with no repercussions. Worked out for all my friends as well. The worst they ever did was get my mom's land line and blow it up and make vague threats like some kind of creditor thugs, but that was just a real long time ago with that one. Before they ended them altogether their hands were long tied from even trying that kind of crap anymore. DO NOT pay automated red light fines if like in Texas yours are an unenforceable joke.

I heard from a pax that somewhere (maybe it was NYC?) cops sometimes stand at street corners using hand-held camera/scanner devices to generate tickets in the mail for things like gridlocking the intersection.
With regard to ticketing for gridlock, I wish the authorities all the best on that one. I see a lot of drivers doing a lot of stupid stuff in that regard. A few more tickets might be helpful for that.

For other stuff, not so much.

About a month ago, I got a letter in the mail from one of the toll road places. They said basically "Pay up, we got a picture of your car going through one of our toll booths."

Since I haven't owned that car for years, and it was an old license plate number for it even then, I called them.

The nice lady on the phone (and she WAS polite) pulled up the photo. Then she told me it was an Oklahoma plate, not a Texas plate. She said essentially "No problem, I'll fix it for you." I made sure I wrote down her name and the date and time of the phone call, just in case.

Is it possible to get a ticket in the mail, if I was never actually pulled over by a cop and given a ticket to sign. I was at an intersection and the sun was in my eyes. I was at the turning lane to turn left and realized it was red Only halfway in the intersection when it was too late. I'm sure the person next to me probably just thought WTF, But let's just say he got my license plate. Would he be able to call someone and report me? From my understanding you need an actual officer of the law or red light camera to catch you, and that's how you get Into trouble. This intersection had no red light camera.
Your license plate does not get a traffic ticket, your DL does. In case where there was no red light camera which can take a picture of you running the red light and then be a proof in court (a judge has to identify you in a picture before giving you a violation), you should not worry about anything.

Your license plate does not get a traffic ticket, your DL does. In case where there was no red light camera which can take a picture of you running the red light and then be a proof in court (a judge has to identify you in a picture before giving you a violation), you should not worry about anything.
A lot depends on what the laws are of the location where you live.

In some places, it's presumed that the person who owns the car is the driver. Is that a bad idea constitutionally? Sure, it probably is.

But that won't keep you from losing your license if you don't pay.

Oh . . . and having been a pipe fitter in Plants & Refineries
I would like to Mention
DEWALT
makes wonderful Cordless Grinders.
Equipped with a cutting wheel
These devices can RAPIDLY cut down a steel pole
Supporting any " Offensive Devices". View attachment 527604

( they can also Remove " wheel boots" another Urban Corporate Hustle promoted by traffic cam sponsors) View attachment 527605
You seem to encounter a lot of unforeseen challenges in this world.

You should return to yours to reach some equilibrium.

No idea how it works in California but here in Colorado, they have a few red light cameras which also apparently monitor the crosswalks 🙄 as well as photo radar vans which are for speeding. They start out being not legal but can turn legal real quick.

It's a gamble on how you want to handle the situation They mail you the ticket and from there you have the option to pay or not to pay. You can simply send in the money, no points are assessed to your license, and it does not go on your MVR. It's done and over with OR you could not pay. This is where it gets tricky. So tickets are not legal unless they are served to you in person. It typically takes about three weeks from the date of violation until you to receive it in the mail. Once you receive it, there's typically 7 to 10 days left for you to be a good law-abiding citizen and pay it. Once that time passes, if you have not paid it, they have the remaining 90 days from the date of violation to find you and serve you. If you can make it through the 90 days without getting served, your golden. the tickets dismissed. However if you do get served you now have the original ticket, plus late fees, plus the server processing fee, and a mandatory court date which also adds court costs to your final charge. If you don't go to court, they then can send it to a bill collector and they will report it to the credit bureaus.

So it basically comes down to how good you were at playing hide and go seek as a child. Most people opt to pay the ticket initially to avoid looking like a tweaker for 6 weeks, while trying to avoid the process server, and not risk having to have to pay triple the initial fine but if you can successfully avoid the process server, you end up paying nothing. I've always opted to pay mine until October when I apparently pissed off the higher-ups and earned myself 3 of these. Hello we are in a pandemic! Pandemic income does not financially support these tickets. Needless to say I am now in tweaker mode. I don't recommend this and I will never do it again LOL I have until December 29th before I can walk my dog during the daylight hours and leave my house without a mask hat and sunglasses 😅

So tickets are not legal unless they are served to you in person.
I can't speak to the issue of how service works in Colorado.

However, here in Texas (where my Significant Other practices law) there are ways to serve a person that don't require actually finding that person walking on the street. In person service by a process server is the first choice, but it's not the only way to serve a person who is trying to dodge service.

Like I said, that's here in the Lone Star State. (Your Mileage May Vary.)

Sadly, we got rid of the red light cameras in Houston. They were installed at the intersections with the most collisions caused by people running red lights, and the majority were on the Sam Houston Tollway underpasses at Westheimer, Beechnut, etc.

Accidents went WAY down because of them. Then some little pissant ran the red light, got a ticket, sued the city and got them removed. Now accidents are back up. It is not unusual to be at one of those intersections, get a greeen light and have to wait while four or five cars come sailing through the red light.

Sadly, we got rid of the red light cameras in Houston. They were installed at the intersections with the most collisions caused by people running red lights, and the majority were on the Sam Houston Tollway underpasses at Westheimer, Beechnut, etc.

Accidents went WAY down because of them. Then some little pissant ran the red light, got a ticket, sued the city and got them removed. Now accidents are back up. It is not unusual to be at one of those intersections, get a greeen light and have to wait while four or five cars come sailing through the red light.
People will fight hard for their right to endanger others.

Yes

When I was in the Sherrifs Dept I heard a lot better excuses than that

Apparently it does.

Never would the police mail you a ticket on someone else's say so.
Perhaps an off duty fellow officer reported him. Wouldn't be kosher, but certainly not out of the realm of possibility.

Excellent points

I'm something of a ticket expert, and also live in San Diego. On that note, ANY comment from any other state is completely irrelevant. Almost all moving violations deal with state law and any other state isn't worth considering even the most compelling of anecdotes.

The city of San Diego does NOT operate red light cameras anymore, but surrounding cities do. Encinitas recently voted to not renew its camera program with the vendor, but I don't know if they're still operating. Solana Beach and Del mar still have active red light camera programs. Those are the ONLY cities in the county that have(had) camera programs this year.

Your ticket is ONLY valid if it indicates a local Superior Court on it (Kearny Mesa, most likely, potentially Vista - depending on where the intersection was).

Frequently what the red light companies will do is send you a 'snitch' ticket, where they try to get you to tell on someone for the violation. These can be IGNORED. Only if your ticket involves a CA superior court on it is it valid. It will have a citation/case number that you can look up on the Superior Court's website.

If you do have a superior court listed, DO NOT IGNORE the ticket. I'd recommend doing what's known as a Trial By Declaration (contest ticket by mail). There, you should argue certain things if they apply:

'The ticket does not clearly indicate the identity of the driver. Red Light tickets are issued to the registered owner, but citations can only be delivered to vehicle operators, and the police have the duty to prove the identity of the driver beyond a reasonable doubt'

'The ticket arrived later than the required time from incident to notice' - Check if the date of the violation is more than 11 days from the postmark - it might be invalid
CA Veh Code § 23
The giving of notice by personal delivery is complete upon delivery of a copy of the notice to the person to be notified. The giving of notice by mail is complete upon the expiration of four days after deposit of the notice in the mail, except that in the case of a notice informing any person of an offense against him under Section 40001, the notice is complete 10 days after mailing."

There are more options, but FIRST THING. Determine if you have a REAL ticket, issued by a Superior Court. Anything else is garbage, throw it away.

Accidents went WAY down because of them. Then some little pissant ran the red light, got a ticket, sued the city and got them removed.
That's not accurate.

The city council and mayor agreed to put it on the ballot and let the voters decide. The voters went against the red light cameras. So the city removed them, even though it was expensive to get rid of them during the term of the contract.

Yes, there was some accident reduction. There was also, perhaps to a lesser degree, an increase in people being rear ended when they would slam on the brakes when a light changed.

That's not accurate.

The city council and mayor agreed to put it on the ballot and let the voters decide. The voters went against the red light cameras. So the city removed them, even though it was expensive to get rid of them during the term of the contract.

Yes, there was some accident reduction. There was also, perhaps to a lesser degree, an increase in people being rear ended when they would slam on the brakes when a light changed.
First you're guessing, but what does that have to do with red light cameras?

21 - 40 of 64 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.