Uber Drivers Forum banner
  • If you have joined UberPeople.net because your Uber account was hacked, you've likely been taken in by a scam. Please read this before starting a thread on this subject.

Red Light Ticket!...without being pulled over?

4K views 63 replies 33 participants last post by  Mash Ghasem 
#1 ·
Is it possible to get a ticket in the mail, if I was never actually pulled over by a cop and given a ticket to sign. I was at an intersection and the sun was in my eyes. I was at the turning lane to turn left and realized it was red Only halfway in the intersection when it was too late. I’m sure the person next to me probably just thought WTF, But let’s just say he got my license plate. Would he be able to call someone and report me? From my understanding you need an actual officer of the law or red light camera to catch you, and that’s how you get Into trouble. This intersection had no red light camera.

#4 · (Edited)
If you are sure there is no camera you will be okay.

Luckily here they outlawed those cameras!

When we had cameras here I got one in the county next to mine, never paid it and they put a block on my registration. My county wanted the registration fee and refused to honor the block, they said they only honor the blocks within the county.

#9 ·
In some states it is/was okay for police to mail you a ticket without a traffic stop if they wanted. For example (made up), they are on a traffic stop and you drive by and litter, they can see your plate from their dash cam and just mail you a ticket. Where this fails in theory is let's say you go on a vacation and nobody ever stops you for your horrible crimes and when you get home you have a stack of violations and a letter from the DMV saying you don't have a license anymore.

#10 ·
Don’t see how you would ever get a ticket if this wasn’t an intersection with a red light camera and you were never pulled over by any police. In this case it sounds like you think the car behind you would report you but even then how can they ? Did they have their phones so nearby that they can picture your plates ? And even if they did , how would the police know you even were the driver ? This would be thrown out in that case.

#11 · (Edited)
Is it possible to get a ticket in the mail, if I was never actually pulled over by a cop and given a ticket to sign. I was at an intersection and the sun was in my eyes. I was at the turning lane to turn left and realized it was red Only halfway in the intersection when it was too late. I'm sure the person next to me probably just thought WTF, But let's just say he got my license plate. Would he be able to call someone and report me? From my understanding you need an actual officer of the law or red light camera to catch you, and that's how you get Into trouble. This intersection had no red light camera.
Yes it is legal in most cities in California to be cited based on a red light camera. But not because someone reported that you ran a light. Be sure to verify the third and fourth points listed below.
Here are a few important red light ticket factors of which you should be aware:
  • Some red light tickets are given accidentally, such as when you make a right-hand turn on red without coming to a complete stop first.
  • Depending on the type of violation, you may be able to keep points off of your record or fight to have the fine lowered. Get in touch with someone in the know, such as an attorney or online traffic school, to find out.
  • According to California law, a citation can only be issued for a red light camera violation if there is a clear picture of both the driver and the license plate.
  • Not all red light camera tickets require action on your part or come with penalties for not paying a fine.

I got a speeding ticket by mail once...

View attachment 527512

So I sent the police department a picture of a check...

View attachment 527514

The police then responded with this picture....

View attachment 527516
That is a parking ticket in your picture and this is an old joke.

#12 ·
Yes it is legal in most cities in California to be cited based on a red light camera. But not because someone reported that you ran a light. Be sure to verify the third and fourth points listed below.
Here are a few important red light ticket factors of which you should be aware:
  • Some red light tickets are given accidentally, such as when you make a right-hand turn on red without coming to a complete stop first.
  • Depending on the type of violation, you may be able to keep points off of your record or fight to have the fine lowered. Get in touch with someone in the know, such as an attorney or online traffic school, to find out.
  • According to California law, a citation can only be issued for a red light camera violation if there is a clear picture of both the driver and the license plate.
  • Not all red light camera tickets require action on your part or come with penalties for not paying a fine.

That is a parking ticket in your picture and this is an old joke.
I know I couldn't find the original one... It's the internet. Its OK. Just remember what Abraham Lincoln once said...

Forehead Head Chin Eyebrow Facial expression

#24 ·
With regard to ticketing for gridlock, I wish the authorities all the best on that one. I see a lot of drivers doing a lot of stupid stuff in that regard. A few more tickets might be helpful for that.

For other stuff, not so much.

About a month ago, I got a letter in the mail from one of the toll road places. They said basically "Pay up, we got a picture of your car going through one of our toll booths."

Since I haven't owned that car for years, and it was an old license plate number for it even then, I called them.

The nice lady on the phone (and she WAS polite) pulled up the photo. Then she told me it was an Oklahoma plate, not a Texas plate. She said essentially "No problem, I'll fix it for you." I made sure I wrote down her name and the date and time of the phone call, just in case.

#16 ·
Is it possible to get a ticket in the mail,
Yes
I was at an intersection and the sun was in my eyes
When I was in the Sherrifs Dept I heard a lot better excuses than that
This intersection had no red light camera.
Apparently it does.

But let's just say he got my license plate. Would he be able to call someone and report me?
Never would the police mail you a ticket on someone else's say so.

#37 ·
Yes

When I was in the Sherrifs Dept I heard a lot better excuses than that

Apparently it does.

Never would the police mail you a ticket on someone else's say so.
Perhaps an off duty fellow officer reported him. Wouldn't be kosher, but certainly not out of the realm of possibility.

Your license plate does not get a traffic ticket, your DL does. In case where there was no red light camera which can take a picture of you running the red light and then be a proof in court (a judge has to identify you in a picture before giving you a violation), you should not worry about anything.
Excellent points

#17 ·
I love living in a red state on this one. I can think of a few times where I’d have been so screwed in other states. I cannot overemphasize enough you shouldn’t pay, you’ll just be a scofflaw basically. It’s not a municipal offense, I think it’s civil or something. Don’t be sending any money for something when a photo was transmitted out of state to Arizona for analysis. Don’t ever pay period unless a cop issued it personally. Even then, be smart.

#18 ·
I love living in a red state on this one. I can think of a few times where I'd have been so screwed in other states. I cannot overemphasize enough you shouldn't pay, you'll just be a scofflaw basically. It's not a municipal offense, I think it's civil or something. Don't be sending any money for something when a photo was transmitted out of state to Arizona for analysis. Don't ever pay period unless a cop issued it personally. Even then, be smart.
We don't have red light cameras here for the past year or so. But, no, it's not a thing to just "not pay." You would figure that out when it comes time to renew your registration or license.

#19 ·
Is it possible to get a ticket in the mail, if I was never actually pulled over by a cop and given a ticket to sign. I was at an intersection and the sun was in my eyes. I was at the turning lane to turn left and realized it was red Only halfway in the intersection when it was too late. I'm sure the person next to me probably just thought WTF, But let's just say he got my license plate. Would he be able to call someone and report me? From my understanding you need an actual officer of the law or red light camera to catch you, and that's how you get Into trouble. This intersection had no red light camera.
DEMAND YOUR ACCUSER SHOW UP IN COURT !

IT IS YOUR CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHT !

#22 ·
Why you worry?
If they got the evidence, you will get a ticket in mail. If they don't then you won't.
You will be okay. Don't worry. Just be careful next time.

#25 · (Edited)
Your license plate does not get a traffic ticket, your DL does. In case where there was no red light camera which can take a picture of you running the red light and then be a proof in court (a judge has to identify you in a picture before giving you a violation), you should not worry about anything.

#27 ·
Oh . . . and having been a pipe fitter in Plants & Refineries
I would like to Mention
DEWALT
makes wonderful Cordless Grinders.
Equipped with a cutting wheel
These devices can RAPIDLY cut down a steel pole
Supporting any " Offensive Devices". View attachment 527604

( they can also Remove " wheel boots" another Urban Corporate Hustle promoted by traffic cam sponsors) View attachment 527605
You seem to encounter a lot of unforeseen challenges in this world.

You should return to yours to reach some equilibrium.

#28 ·
No idea how it works in California but here in Colorado, they have a few red light cameras which also apparently monitor the crosswalks 🙄 as well as photo radar vans which are for speeding. They start out being not legal but can turn legal real quick.

It's a gamble on how you want to handle the situation They mail you the ticket and from there you have the option to pay or not to pay. You can simply send in the money, no points are assessed to your license, and it does not go on your MVR. It's done and over with OR you could not pay. This is where it gets tricky. So tickets are not legal unless they are served to you in person. It typically takes about three weeks from the date of violation until you to receive it in the mail. Once you receive it, there's typically 7 to 10 days left for you to be a good law-abiding citizen and pay it. Once that time passes, if you have not paid it, they have the remaining 90 days from the date of violation to find you and serve you. If you can make it through the 90 days without getting served, your golden. the tickets dismissed. However if you do get served you now have the original ticket, plus late fees, plus the server processing fee, and a mandatory court date which also adds court costs to your final charge. If you don't go to court, they then can send it to a bill collector and they will report it to the credit bureaus.

So it basically comes down to how good you were at playing hide and go seek as a child. Most people opt to pay the ticket initially to avoid looking like a tweaker for 6 weeks, while trying to avoid the process server, and not risk having to have to pay triple the initial fine but if you can successfully avoid the process server, you end up paying nothing. I've always opted to pay mine until October when I apparently pissed off the higher-ups and earned myself 3 of these. Hello we are in a pandemic! Pandemic income does not financially support these tickets. Needless to say I am now in tweaker mode. I don't recommend this and I will never do it again LOL I have until December 29th before I can walk my dog during the daylight hours and leave my house without a mask hat and sunglasses 😅

#32 ·
Sadly, we got rid of the red light cameras in Houston. They were installed at the intersections with the most collisions caused by people running red lights, and the majority were on the Sam Houston Tollway underpasses at Westheimer, Beechnut, etc.

Accidents went WAY down because of them. Then some little pissant ran the red light, got a ticket, sued the city and got them removed. Now accidents are back up. It is not unusual to be at one of those intersections, get a greeen light and have to wait while four or five cars come sailing through the red light.

#38 ·
I'm something of a ticket expert, and also live in San Diego. On that note, ANY comment from any other state is completely irrelevant. Almost all moving violations deal with state law and any other state isn't worth considering even the most compelling of anecdotes.

The city of San Diego does NOT operate red light cameras anymore, but surrounding cities do. Encinitas recently voted to not renew its camera program with the vendor, but I don't know if they're still operating. Solana Beach and Del mar still have active red light camera programs. Those are the ONLY cities in the county that have(had) camera programs this year.

Your ticket is ONLY valid if it indicates a local Superior Court on it (Kearny Mesa, most likely, potentially Vista - depending on where the intersection was).

Frequently what the red light companies will do is send you a 'snitch' ticket, where they try to get you to tell on someone for the violation. These can be IGNORED. Only if your ticket involves a CA superior court on it is it valid. It will have a citation/case number that you can look up on the Superior Court's website.

If you do have a superior court listed, DO NOT IGNORE the ticket. I'd recommend doing what's known as a Trial By Declaration (contest ticket by mail). There, you should argue certain things if they apply:

'The ticket does not clearly indicate the identity of the driver. Red Light tickets are issued to the registered owner, but citations can only be delivered to vehicle operators, and the police have the duty to prove the identity of the driver beyond a reasonable doubt'

'The ticket arrived later than the required time from incident to notice' - Check if the date of the violation is more than 11 days from the postmark - it might be invalid
CA Veh Code § 23
The giving of notice by personal delivery is complete upon delivery of a copy of the notice to the person to be notified. The giving of notice by mail is complete upon the expiration of four days after deposit of the notice in the mail, except that in the case of a notice informing any person of an offense against him under Section 40001, the notice is complete 10 days after mailing."

There are more options, but FIRST THING. Determine if you have a REAL ticket, issued by a Superior Court. Anything else is garbage, throw it away.

#49 ·
They have a ton of traffic light cameras in OHIO. Your garmin gps will warn you.
Needless to say they have to prove your driving . Wearing a hat or sunglasses sorry that is not me .
Also most people ignore them they tell me nothing happens .
Me i filed a judgement at the city that sent me a ticket in the mail. I was speeding for a medical situation .
I needed help none was available because they only use cameras .
We can dismiss my ticket or ill file my papers costing the city thousand of dollars .
Well all my tickets were dismissed .
Medical situation could be i had to pee my doctor told me not to hold it .

#51 ·
Here in Colorado they have to personally serve you. That means they either have to find you and hand-deliver it to you or hand-deliver it to a family member who's over the age of 18 at the place of residence listed for the defendant. I live alone with my dog. so in my case yes they have to find me
They have a ton of traffic light cameras in OHIO. Your garmin gps will warn you.
Needless to say they have to prove your driving . Wearing a hat or sunglasses sorry that is not me .
Also most people ignore them they tell me nothing happens .
Me i filed a judgement at the city that sent me a ticket in the mail. I was speeding for a medical situation .
I needed help none was available because they only use cameras .
We can dismiss my ticket or ill file my papers costing the city thousand of dollars .
Well all my tickets were dismissed .
Medical situation could be i had to pee my doctor told me not to hold it .
This is why we need better enforcement on red light cameras.

#52 ·
I'm all for red light tickets/cameras.

I believe they make the world a safer place.

I also happen to live in a red state where they are active.

My requirements to support them.
1. No points on your license
2. Expensive but not financially crippling. $100-150 would be the sweet spot
3. Reviewed by a human before issuing them.
4. Fightable in court.

That said I've had to fight one, one there was literally a cop car dead center of the screen waving cars through the intersection around a car accident in the travel lane triggering red light tickets (straight had to go through the intersection through the left turn lanes). So … reviewed by a human my ass. I asked for a review and they didn't change their mind (again not reviewed) and I had to go into court to fight that one. Well the judge was pissed, thankfully not at me. He could see in the system that it was reviewed twice.

The second one I got?

Yeah I was guilty-ish. I realized that the ticket could have gone either way I was guilty, and didn't see the need to bother fighting it. No points on my license. I paid it and it never hit my driving record. Expensive enough to learn my lesson but not crippling by any means.

#53 ·
Are red light cameras are a flat $40 and our photo radar Vans for speeding are a flat $75. Then if you don't pay and you get served obviously you get process server fees and court fees yada yada yada but if you just pay the damn ticket to begin with it's not that bad... Unless you get three within a short time frame such as a week🤷‍♀️

#54 ·
My best friend is police commissioner..she said no..if that was true people could call just to loss their friends off

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.