Red Light Ticket!...without being pulled over?

Filipino858

Is it possible to get a ticket in the mail, if I was never actually pulled over by a cop and given a ticket to sign. I was at an intersection and the sun was in my eyes. I was at the turning lane to turn left and realized it was red Only halfway in the intersection when it was too late. I’m sure the person next to me probably just thought WTF, But let’s just say he got my license plate. Would he be able to call someone and report me? From my understanding you need an actual officer of the law or red light camera to catch you, and that’s how you get Into trouble. This intersection had no red light camera.

If you are sure there is no camera you will be okay.

Luckily here they outlawed those cameras!

When we had cameras here I got one in the county next to mine, never paid it and they put a block on my registration. My county wanted the registration fee and refused to honor the block, they said they only honor the blocks within the county.

Last edited:

Filipino858

If you are sure there is no camera you will be okay.

Luckily here they outlawed those cameras!
Oh no camera at all it was a small residential light not a major intersection. Plus San Diego doesn’t have red light cameras. But I wonder if the dude next to me could have been a Karen and said something lol. A little far fetched yeah.

Fusion_LUser

I got a speeding ticket by mail once...

Ticket.jpg

So I sent the police department a picture of a check...

Check.jpg

The police then responded with this picture....

Handcuffs.jpg

Eco-Charles

In some states it is/was okay for police to mail you a ticket without a traffic stop if they wanted. For example (made up), they are on a traffic stop and you drive by and litter, they can see your plate from their dash cam and just mail you a ticket. Where this fails in theory is let's say you go on a vacation and nobody ever stops you for your horrible crimes and when you get home you have a stack of violations and a letter from the DMV saying you don't have a license anymore.

Andrew Philip

Don’t see how you would ever get a ticket if this wasn’t an intersection with a red light camera and you were never pulled over by any police. In this case it sounds like you think the car behind you would report you but even then how can they ? Did they have their phones so nearby that they can picture your plates ? And even if they did , how would the police know you even were the driver ? This would be thrown out in that case.

Jst1dreamr

Is it possible to get a ticket in the mail, if I was never actually pulled over by a cop and given a ticket to sign. I was at an intersection and the sun was in my eyes. I was at the turning lane to turn left and realized it was red Only halfway in the intersection when it was too late. I’m sure the person next to me probably just thought WTF, But let’s just say he got my license plate. Would he be able to call someone and report me? From my understanding you need an actual officer of the law or red light camera to catch you, and that’s how you get Into trouble. This intersection had no red light camera.
Yes it is legal in most cities in California to be cited based on a red light camera. But not because someone reported that you ran a light. Be sure to verify the third and fourth points listed below.
Here are a few important red light ticket factors of which you should be aware:
  • Some red light tickets are given accidentally, such as when you make a right-hand turn on red without coming to a complete stop first.
  • Depending on the type of violation, you may be able to keep points off of your record or fight to have the fine lowered. Get in touch with someone in the know, such as an attorney or online traffic school, to find out.
  • According to California law, a citation can only be issued for a red light camera violation if there is a clear picture of both the driver and the license plate.
  • Not all red light camera tickets require action on your part or come with penalties for not paying a fine.
Post automatically merged:

I got a speeding ticket by mail once...

View attachment 527512

So I sent the police department a picture of a check...

View attachment 527514

The police then responded with this picture....

View attachment 527516
That is a parking ticket in your picture and this is an old joke.

Last edited:

Fusion_LUser

Yes it is legal in most cities in California to be cited based on a red light camera. But not because someone reported that you ran a light. Be sure to verify the third and fourth points listed below.
Here are a few important red light ticket factors of which you should be aware:
  • Some red light tickets are given accidentally, such as when you make a right-hand turn on red without coming to a complete stop first.
  • Depending on the type of violation, you may be able to keep points off of your record or fight to have the fine lowered. Get in touch with someone in the know, such as an attorney or online traffic school, to find out.
  • According to California law, a citation can only be issued for a red light camera violation if there is a clear picture of both the driver and the license plate.
  • Not all red light camera tickets require action on your part or come with penalties for not paying a fine.

That is a parking ticket in your picture and this is an old joke.

I know I couldn't find the original one... It's the internet. Its OK. Just remember what Abraham Lincoln once said...

Believe.jpg

Schmanthony

I heard from a pax that somewhere (maybe it was NYC?) cops sometimes stand at street corners using hand-held camera/scanner devices to generate tickets in the mail for things like gridlocking the intersection.

Young Kim

Oh no camera at all it was a small residential light not a major intersection. Plus San Diego doesn’t have red light cameras. But I wonder if the dude next to me could have been a Karen and said something lol. A little far fetched yeah.
Ur ok. Dont worry friend.

Seamus

Is it possible to get a ticket in the mail,
Yes
I was at an intersection and the sun was in my eyes
When I was in the Sherrifs Dept I heard a lot better excuses than that
This intersection had no red light camera.
Apparently it does.

But let’s just say he got my license plate. Would he be able to call someone and report me?
Never would the police mail you a ticket on someone else’s say so.

Volvonaut

I love living in a red state on this one. I can think of a few times where I’d have been so screwed in other states. I cannot overemphasize enough you shouldn’t pay, you’ll just be a scofflaw basically. It’s not a municipal offense, I think it’s civil or something. Don’t be sending any money for something when a photo was transmitted out of state to Arizona for analysis. Don’t ever pay period unless a cop issued it personally. Even then, be smart.

Coachman

I love living in a red state on this one. I can think of a few times where I’d have been so screwed in other states. I cannot overemphasize enough you shouldn’t pay, you’ll just be a scofflaw basically. It’s not a municipal offense, I think it’s civil or something. Don’t be sending any money for something when a photo was transmitted out of state to Arizona for analysis. Don’t ever pay period unless a cop issued it personally. Even then, be smart.
We don't have red light cameras here for the past year or so. But, no, it's not a thing to just "not pay." You would figure that out when it comes time to renew your registration or license.

tohunt4me

DEMAND YOUR ACCUSER SHOW UP IN COURT !

IT IS YOUR CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHT !