• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Recording in Seattle?

Fuges

Hi neighbors,

In my previous professional life I recorded a lot of conversations and phone calls back in MN. Only one party needed to be aware of a recording, and I dealt with quite a few sh1ts I didn't trust.

In WA I understand both parties need to be aware but do they both need to approve? Looking at other drivers I don't often see dashcams so I'm wondering if it's because it requires passenger approval and most would not agree to being recorded.

If you do have a dual dash cam, how do you let customers know and what if they refuse? Donyou have a sign?

Thanks in advance

Captainfantasitc SG8

Hi neighbors,

In my previous professional life I recorded a lot of conversations and phone calls back in MN. Only one party needed to be aware of a recording, and I dealt with quite a few sh1ts I didn't trust.

In WA I understand both parties need to be aware but do they both need to approve? Looking at other drivers I don't often see dashcams so I'm wondering if it's because it requires passenger approval and most would not agree to being recorded.

If you do have a dual dash cam, how do you let customers know and what if they refuse? Donyou have a sign?

Thanks in advance
I think a visible sign saying that there is video and audio recording is enough. I see these signs on metro buses all the time. Both the parties should be aware of it but I think it's not necessary for both the parties to consent. If someone says they have a problem then they are most welcome to get out of the car.

Captainfantasitc SG8

I think a visible sign saying that there is video and audio recording is enough. I see these signs on metro buses all the time. Both the parties should be aware of it but I think it's not necessary for both the parties to consent. If someone says they have a problem then they are most welcome to get out of the car.
I might be wrong. But do they announce it in the metro buses then? I do see the sign on the metro buses?!

Travis Bickle Uber

You can record without consent but problem is if you try to use it to help you in a legal battle the opposing party can get it thrown out. Assuming the opposing party knows the rules.

DexNex

Hi neighbors,

Thanks in advance
In WA state you need two party consent to record audio. You do not need consent to record video. So a dash cam with muted audio does not need to be announced, nor does it require consent.

Captainfantasitc SG8

In WA state you need two party consent to record audio. You do not need consent to record video. So a dash cam with muted audio does not need to be announced, nor does it require consent.
Yeah I read the rule. But isn't an Uber pool a witb 4 different individuals apublic space then? And the rule only applies to private conversations. Uber pool essentially is a bus ride and Metro buses do record audio without announcement.

Warrior79

Hi neighbors,

Thanks in advance
Hi neighbors,

Thanks in advance
All that is required for notification that it's there. Notification is not required but it can get thrown out of court if you don't have it. You can get window stickers on Amazon for a few bucks.

As for consent, if they're made aware and continue the ride they have given implied consent.

REMEMBER:

You are your own business. You have the right to have video surveillance. NOBODY CAN MAKE YOU TURN IT OFF!!!!

Travis Bickle Uber

Yeah I read the rule. But isn't an Uber pool a witb 4 different individuals apublic space then? And the rule only applies to private conversations. Uber pool essentially is a bus ride and Metro buses do record audio without announcement.
Metro busses have signs posted inside of each bus that is recording you letting you know you are on camera and being recorded (audio and video).

K-pax

Every mode of commercial transportation does. I’ve never ridden in a rickshaw but I would be very surprised if they didn’t as well. There is hardly a business anywhere that there isn’t some sort of camera on people, just in case. There are terrible dishonest people in the world, and you have to cover your butt in the slim amount of time you deal with em. I almost never use my dashcam footage, but it’s been there when I need it.

Fuges

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks everyone - clear as mud. I guess I'm not even thinking about it so much to prove a pax wrong as much as I am to protect myself - and it's a difficult argument to not allow audio proof to defend myself.

And I like the bus analogy - if they're able to record audio with a notification then I'm inclined to run with that. I also believe that with a notification and an acceptance of the ride that that's implied consent. Not sure if that holds, but I'll go with it. Lol