Record keeping

Goom

So in 2015 when I started, I created a simple spreadsheet to keep track of miles from the time I left home to the time I got back. I track actual Lyft/Uber mileage, tolls (late and lesson learned), and tips (Lyft only). Cash I spend at McDonalds ; )

I was wondering if anyone is using any mileage specific app out there and give us your thoughts on it. I was looking at TripLog ($1/mo or $10/yr) and MileIQ ($6mo, $60/yr). I know there is also QuickBooks but no sure if they are really geared towards the likes of what we do.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. As I don't plan to drive this weekend, I'd like to start with a good recordkeeping for 2016.

docswife

I use triplog, it's cheap and great!! All automatic simply by plugging in your charger to the device.

SteveGo

I never could get happy with Triplog. It's probably me and my hard-headed ways. Here is what I do:

1. I record milage info using Google Keep, in conjunction with the Android Google app. For example, when I pick up my first rider, I say (to the phone), "OK, Google, take a note: Lyft Pickup, xxxxxx miles." The note is transcribed and saved to Google Keep, so I can look at it later. The transcribe stuff is quite good, and you can see what it is doing as you talk.

2. At the end of the day, I transcribe all the Google Keep info to a mileage log, in a spreadsheet.

This is working for me. I wear a bluetooth headset while I drive, so it is easy to talk to the phone as needed. My riders assume I am talking to myself, I guess :wink:. Actually, I wait and do the recording after they exit the car.

rt.13

Amazing timing. I had just begun research on this topic and here is a new group of ideas and methods totally new to me. Thanks.

Drive777

So in 2015 when I started, I created a simple spreadsheet to keep track of miles from the time I left home to the time I got back. I track actual Lyft/Uber mileage, tolls (late and lesson learned), and tips (Lyft only). Cash I spend at McDonalds ; )

Try and keep your paperwork down to the minimum necessary. Meals are generally not deductible unless you're out of town from your "home" work area.

http://www.entrepreneur.com/article/230175

http://quickbooks.intuit.com/r/taxes/when-can-you-write-off-meals-on-your-taxes

If you happen to buy meals for your Uber riders (hah!), that would be deductible. If you're just taking a lunch break for yourself, that is not.

Goom

Thanks. So Triplog records the mileage, but is there one that can also track the fares/revenue?

SteveGo

I have run my own business for 22 years. I learned bookkeeping because I was too cheap to hire an accountant to do my books.

I use GnuCash, which is an Open Source double entry bookkeeping system, for any computer. It has something of a learning curve. You will have to teach yourself bookkeeping to use it. That will build your character and make you a better person.

Each day after driving, I enter the days business, and then become happy or sad, depending on how much money I made.

tohellwithu

The best app to track miles is Sherpa share...on Android and apple. Signup and integrate ur uber, lyft for real time milage tracking with income, hours, weekly report.

John-e

So
mileiq - good
Triplog - cheap
Sherpashare - ???
Stride drive - only on apple (uber had promoted it, but no anymore? Just a part of the insurance partnership?)

CTCharlie

I use QuickBooks, a dedicated Checking Account and a dedicated Credit Card. Everything downloads and a copy cleanly goes to the accountant at the end of each month. I have to update the Toll account on a regular basis which helps me make sure I am getting my tolls from Uber. I reconcile the Checking Account, Credit Card and Toll statement at the end of each month.
As for mileage, I record the mileage on a slip of paper every day and use it to keep track of my EPM (Earnings per mile). I keep the slips and turn them in to the accountant along with all my receipts. The accountant gets paid as well and does the taxes at the end of they year.