Recommendations for seat covers & a car seat holster

PDX2012

Two semi-related topics -

I have a 2010 Ford Flex with tan leather-like upholstery. (Ford says it has 'leather seating areas' which means it's only under your butt.) I'd like to find a source for some decent seat covers & I have the 60/40 on the second row. It was originally equipped with three rows but I had to remove one seat to build a frame to support my mobility scooter lift.

I could take it to an upholstery shop but they'd charge a fortune for custom made covers. I'm looking for good quality slip overs or even ones that I'll pay to have installed so if you know of any good sources I'd appreciate the help.

Does anyone use a holster that's attached to the front of the driver's seat? I have a revolver in the front door pocket but would also like to have a 1911 stuffed into a pocket where it's out of sight but easily accessible with either hand. I wore a shoulder holster today with my Beretta 84 under a windbreaker but my shoulders get sore after 10 hours. I have numerous 1911's from .22 to .45 along with a crap load of other choices including a Glock 26 (15 rds) & a 9mm Ruger SR9c (17 rds.) I had two pax yesterday who brought up the subject & were all for drivers carrying. And they were from SF - one of the most anti-gun places on Earth.

PDX2012

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Google car seat holster..........why ask other drivers.......you will hear all types of negatives
"...why ask other drivers..."? Because even though I might hear negatives, every now & then some excellent advice comes along. Not everyone has a bad attitude.

Robertk

Your Ford Flex has airbags built into the two front seats. Most seat covers will impede these airbags and reduce the safety of the car for driver and front seat passenger.

dumbdriver

Two semi-related topics -

I have a 2010 Ford Flex with tan leather-like upholstery. (Ford says it has 'leather seating areas' which means it's only under your butt.) I'd like to find a source for some decent seat covers & I have the 60/40 on the second row. It was originally equipped with three rows but I had to remove one seat to build a frame to support my mobility scooter lift.

I could take it to an upholstery shop but they'd charge a fortune for custom made covers. I'm looking for good quality slip overs or even ones that I'll pay to have installed so if you know of any good sources I'd appreciate the help.

Does anyone use a holster that's attached to the front of the driver's seat? I have a revolver in the front door pocket but would also like to have a 1911 stuffed into a pocket where it's out of sight but easily accessible with either hand. I wore a shoulder holster today with my Beretta 84 under a windbreaker but my shoulders get sore after 10 hours. I have numerous 1911's from .22 to .45 along with a crap load of other choices including a Glock 26 (15 rds) & a 9mm Ruger SR9c (17 rds.) I had two pax yesterday who brought up the subject & were all for drivers carrying. And they were from SF - one of the most anti-gun places on Earth.
the best seed covering that Steve is just go buy a free newspaper stand like at the grocery store and grab a whole stack of them that way when someone urinates defecates or vomit in the cab just like your little puppy at home you can just throw it all out make sure you keep large plastic trash bags inside the car on the weekends at night so they can buy them that if they missed a hit the newspaper

PDX2012

Your Ford Flex has airbags built into the two front seats. Most seat covers will impede these airbags and reduce the safety of the car for driver and front seat passenger.
I'd forgotten about the airbags & you make an excellent point so it's back to the drawing board. Thank you.

TRW

I would recommend carrying your primary handgun on body, might be uncomfortable. You'll need to get in and out of your vehicle at times a gun under the seat does not help if you are out of your car. Now having a backup gun in a under the seat holster sounds like a interesting idea.

Squirming Like A Toad

I don't believe in carrying a weapon in the car other than on your body. For one, you are violating a safety rule if you do not unload every time you get out of the car.

There are also tactical disadvantages, you could be forced out of the car before you are able to retrieve the weapon, or you may have to put your arm someplace where you can't defend yourself and take a beating while you are retrieving it. Always bear in mind that when you draw a weapon defensively you are already fighting and have probably already been injured.

Reactions: TRW

Nenee

What city do u guys drive in? I'm starting to get concerned. I'm a female driver have been doing this less than a week in the fort Lauderdale/Miami area, i Drive lux suv. Do not intend to do the bar scene pickup and stay in the nice parts of town. Thus far my passengers have all been very nice.

Squirming Like A Toad

What city do u guys drive in? I'm starting to get concerned. I'm a female driver have been doing this less than a week in the fort Lauderdale/Miami area, i Drive lux suv. Do not intend to do the bar scene pickup and stay in the nice parts of town. Thus far my passengers have all been very nice.
Driving the vehicle you do you should be isolated from a lot of the lowlifes as long as you are only accepting luxury rides. The only concern you could have is someone ordering a luxury car because they want to steal a car for parts. In that case they are not interested in you, just give them the key and run. Always drive Uber with your spare key in case you are forced out of your car somehow, that way you still have your keys.

A Miami driver is a good candidate to carry a gun, as there is no chance of being taken to a state where your permit is not valid. I live and work 8 miles from a state where it is a felony for me to carry so I usually can't.

PDX2012

Driving the vehicle you do you should be isolated from a lot of the lowlifes as long as you are only accepting luxury rides. The only concern you could have is someone ordering a luxury car because they want to steal a car for parts. In that case they are not interested in you, just give them the key and run. Always drive Uber with your spare key in case you are forced out of your car somehow, that way you still have your keys.

A Miami driver is a good candidate to carry a gun, as there is no chance of being taken to a state where your permit is not valid. I live and work 8 miles from a state where it is a felony for me to carry so I usually can't.
"...as there is no chance of being taken to a state where your permit is not valid." Could you explain what you mean? There are plenty of states that don't honor FL permits, including mine.

Oregon doesn't have reciprocity with any other states so many of us have a combo - OR, AZ & UT. They cover me in 40 states as long as I abide by the laws of the state I'm visiting. No good in CA & that's where my kids/grandkids are - Crap!

I always wear a gun & have a revolver in my driver's door pocket. The only time I remove it is when the guys at the car was do the interior but they're used to seeing me carry open. I can wear an untucked Polo shirt & it easily hides my 3" 1911. I'm in & out of the car helping pax as well & either they've never noticed or never said anything.

"Squirming Like A Toad" - my sympathies for you living in CT, the 50th worst economy in the country. I lived there from May '93 - mid-Dec '12 and am glad to be gone. The only good Governor during my time there was Jodi Rell. Rowland went to prison & Malloy is a blithering idiot.

Squirming Like A Toad

"...as there is no chance of being taken to a state where your permit is not valid." Could you explain what you mean? There are plenty of states that don't honor FL permits, including mine.

Oregon doesn't have reciprocity with any other states so many of us have a combo - OR, AZ & UT. They cover me in 40 states as long as I abide by the laws of the state I'm visiting. No good in CA & that's where my kids/grandkids are - Crap!

I always wear a gun & have a revolver in my driver's door pocket. The only time I remove it is when the guys at the car was do the interior but they're used to seeing me carry open. I can wear an untucked Polo shirt & it easily hides my 3" 1911. I'm in & out of the car helping pax as well & either they've never noticed or never said anything.

"Squirming Like A Toad" - my sympathies for you living in CT, the 50th worst economy in the country. I lived there from May '93 - mid-Dec '12 and am glad to be gone. The only good Governor during my time there was Jodi Rell. Rowland went to prison & Malloy is a blithering idiot.
What I mean is if you are driving in Miami you are a long, long way from South Carolina which is the closest state that doesn't honor your permit.

I agree, the economy here sucks, can't wait to leave and come to America.