Recent Select Phenomenon

sirius black

So, a few weeks ago, Uber finally provided the ability to do ONLY Select in our market. Up until then, we had to run both X and Select w/ no toggle-off option. I would qualify for Black, but I only drive 8-12 hours/week on a "When I feel like it" schedule, so going through all the licensing, insurance cost, and livery stuff doesn't seem like a good idea. I have no intention of doing this full time. Anyway, since adding the ability to do just Select, I've gone from 20% to 80% of my ride volume at Select fares, so twice the $ and half the miles makes me smile. But, on really slow days, I'll click on X. Two things have been happening in the past 2 weeks - An X pax will almost always immediately ask when they get in, "Did I order Select?" I usually say, "No, but I wish you had," which usually ends up in a conversation about driving X, AND - I've had (4) Pax cancel while I'm sitting in front of the pick-up location. Up until 2 weeks ago, I don't think that's happened 2 times total. My theory is that people notice the vehicle and are automatically assuming they made a mistake and cancel, which isn't all bad since I've collected the $3.75 on each one. Anyone have similar experiences ?

Snowblind

As you, I drive only "when I feel like it". The other Day, I was dropping off a Select Rider, then went on my way Home.
Suddenly, I get a ping. I accept without looking because I'm a in a high end Area. It was a X-Ride!
My Uber App decided to add the X/Pool Rides to my Profile without my consent. I was pissed!
Dropped Pax off, pulled over, un-installed the Uber app, then re-installed.
On the Freeway, on my way Home, I get another X-request. And, sure enough, the App went to "open to all Rides".
I emailed Uber 4 times to have the X/pool option removed from my Profile, but they won't do it. My Rating has tanked, of course because I canceled a few X-Rides.
Some Members tell me in this Forum, that this will happen if you cross county lines. I did go from LA County to Orange County but have a hard time to believe that.

newdriverintown

So, a few weeks ago, Uber finally provided the ability to do ONLY Select in our market. Up until then, we had to run both X and Select w/ no toggle-off option. I would qualify for Black, but I only drive 8-12 hours/week on a "When I feel like it" schedule, so going through all the licensing, insurance cost, and livery stuff doesn't seem like a good idea. I have no intention of doing this full time. Anyway, since adding the ability to do just Select, I've gone from 20% to 80% of my ride volume at Select fares, so twice the $ and half the miles makes me smile. But, on really slow days, I'll click on X. Two things have been happening in the past 2 weeks - An X pax will almost always immediately ask when they get in, "Did I order Select?" I usually say, "No, but I wish you had," which usually ends up in a conversation about driving X, AND - I've had (4) Pax cancel while I'm sitting in front of the pick-up location. Up until 2 weeks ago, I don't think that's happened 2 times total. My theory is that people notice the vehicle and are automatically assuming they made a mistake and cancel, which isn't all bad since I've collected the $3.75 on each one. Anyone have similar experiences ?
If you don't mind me asking, what car do you drive?
It's pretty funny people actually cancel on you bc they think they accidentally ordered Select. The times I did X with my Select car, X paying passengers actually complain about everything. Ungrateful SOBs.

sirius black

If you don't mind me asking, what car do you drive?
It's pretty funny people actually cancel on you bc they think they accidentally ordered Select.
Since I like maintaining my anonymity, and wish not to be reminded by our esteemed colleagues on this site that I'm a fool for driving it, I'll just say it's a really nice ride. Some day I may spill the beans. Now, I don't *know* that's why they cancelled, but I suspect it might be. I'd say most every X rider I've picked up have been very complimentary and respectful, minus the college kids.

UberDez

I've got a car that also qualifies for UberBlack /SUV but I'm not willing to go through all the expenses to get all the proper insurance and licenses for Black . I get people who will be talking in the back on a Surge X or Select ride and one will say "see you ordered UberBlack that's why it was so expensive" or "wow did I order UberBlack or am I just lucky"

I've never had someone cancel , I mean I've ordered UberX and gotten a brand new Escalade , BMW, Mercedes etc... and never thought anything of it except that i was glad I didn't get the 2002 Sonata with stained interior and cloudy windows again lol I usually tip slightly better when I get a really nice car on X .
I think it's really weird that people would cancel especially with UpFront pricing

hijinxu

I drive an XL in Phoenix. During the summer months people get used to getting black SUV at xl rates because they drop down to take anything they can get.

I'll get customers that cancel when they see it is a minivan and re request. Like they are shopping for vehicles. I'm still closest and get the request again. I'll keep accepting until they give up. Thanks for the acceptance rate boost!!!