Reassessing Your Driving Goals

MHR

When I first started driving and subsequently became a member of the forum drivers talked a lot about their daily driving goals.

For some their goal was to only drive a certain amount of hours, for others they drove until they hit a dollar amount. After learning the flow of my territory I fell somewhere in between. I combined a dollar goal with an amount of hours driving goal. If I could make such and such amount by a set time I was happy.

Over the years, with the changes Uber and Lyft implemented, I saw my goal posts being moved without my consent. That’s not entirely true because I, like everyone else, continued to agree to the numerous agreements U and L were always sending us but I think you can understand my point.

Now with the CV going around I’m fairly confident that when I return to driving I’m going to have to come up with a new set of driving goals.

How have y’all changed your driving goals? Is it even feasible to think we should have them when those of us not driving now try to return?

For the TL;DR brigade - Are you still setting a daily driving goal and if so what factors are you looking at?

W00dbutcher

Wakeup
Drive till I hit 125+
See how I feel after that
images (4).jpeg

KevinJohnson

Need some way to measure profitability.
Dollars per mile
Dollars per hour
Dollars per shift
Fuel cost %
Without metrics you are just spinning your wheels. It is how much you Keep that matters.

My current goal is $120 per night. The difficulty came when restaurants started closing earlier than normal. Hopefully longer hours will return soon.

Last edited:

UberChiefPIT

My driving goals have always been to simply drive until I’m either tired, or bored and no longer motivated for the day/night.

my ultimate goal (for this year) is to pay off my car (which I bought brand new for $24k in September) in 12 months from my Uber income. Thanks to corona causing my income to go up considerably for various reasons, I’m on track to have the car paid off in 10 months or less. So I’m happy.

MHR

It was my 3rd Uber pax ever that asked me what my goal was, his friend was a driver in another state. I had never thought to set a goal but I also had no idea of what type of money could be made either.

By the time I dropped him at the airport we had decided if I could cover my auto loan payments then that would be a good start.

After coming here and learning how to analyze my territory and be proactive in looking for good earning opportunities and seeing what goals others had set for themselves, I quickly realized that had been short sighted and adjusted accordingly.

Now I’m thinking I might start back with that original goal and readjust again to the current situation.

ANT 7

Now that I have not driven rideshare since March 15th, I am pretty sure that I won't be driving U/L anymore. Too much wear and tear on the car, and too much for gasoline every month.

This is the flip side of what people here are worried about. I see multiple comments like "there will be a flood of drivers now"......blah. blah. blah........all the time. The churn rate is extreme in all rideshare companies. It's not even a concern for me.

Have my goals changed ? Nope.........results will obviously, but goals stay the same. Hours and earnings are intertwined. After so many hours, I'll go home regardless of what my balance is if I feel that am behind the 8 ball for the day. This moment comes after lunch. If I 'm having a normal day, which to me is $200 in 10-12 hours, I'll stop when I get there.

I fully expect it to go back to where it was, and maybe be even better, for more than one reason.

Jay Dean

It’s way too risky with low pay, I hate to offend anyone here but it really is for people with nothing else to do or seek excitement..the numbers don’t pencil out..with so much isolation I would drive just to talk to people but no way will I do that with the virus..the numbers are just so bad it’s so hard to look at!

And the risk of what could happen could flip your whole life around in one night! Can’t believe I did 5500 rides...

bobby747

over 20k in rides. makes me laugh if guys just want to pay cars off..if part time its ok. $100 a day goal is crap money if you are full time. no disrespect.
jay dean , i agree with you. the numbers have to add up. my state .73.6 cents a mile with min. surge ..is horrible numbers.
dont you guys want to pay off these cars and still have cash return...its not what you earn its what you keep..

after all costs. what you avg net per hour. per 40 hours etc. if you get a $100 net...thats poor imho

Trafficat

My driving goal has shifted. Last year in February I was shooting for $1500 a week. Throughout the year, I progressively lowered my goal until it became rediculously low and stopped chasing money at all. I kinda just drove about in boredom, and slowly cut back on hours. Then UberPro came about and offered me free tuition.

Right now I only care about being an Uber Pro Gold driver. Nothing else. Otherwise I just do trips for fun, but if I get a profitable streak I will keep it going. I mainly spend the day cherry picking a ride or delivery here and there on Lyft and Grubhub, and then make my points on Uber where I can't cherry pick.

During 3 point hours, I will say, awesome, I got 12 points this hour! And it's like four $3 trips, so it's like $12 also. In the past I would think "awesome, I made $45 in 1 hour!" Well done Uber, you have succeeded in making me drive for points.

MHR

over 20k in rides. makes me laugh if guys just want to pay cars off..if part time its ok. $100 a day goal is crap money if you are full time. no disrespect.
I see your point however when I started driving I had no idea whatsoever what kind of money I could make. I didn’t know if there was even enough business in our town to keep drivers busy. The 1st year that I drove rideshare I was driving as much as possible so it was full time for me.

During the Summer when I continued driving part time I could pull $175 easy during the day thanks to being XL. The past year you cannot get close to that with all the rate changes and I saw my $175 day go to $100.

Now with tourism in the garbage I doubt I’ll ever see close to those numbers.

LADryver

When I first started driving and subsequently became a member of the forum drivers talked a lot about their daily driving goals.

For some their goal was to only drive a certain amount of hours, for others they drove until they hit a dollar amount. After learning the flow of my territory I fell somewhere in between. I combined a dollar goal with an amount of hours driving goal. If I could make such and such amount by a set time I was happy.

Over the years, with the changes Uber and Lyft implemented, I saw my goal posts being moved without my consent. That’s not entirely true because I, like everyone else, continued to agree to the numerous agreements U and L were always sending us but I think you can understand my point.

Now with the CV going around I’m fairly confident that when I return to driving I’m going to have to come up with a new set of driving goals.

How have y’all changed your driving goals? Is it even feasible to think we should have them when those of us not driving now try to return?

For the TL;DR brigade - Are you still setting a daily driving goal and if so what factors are you looking at?

My goals will depend on whether I rent again. Pay for the rental, pay the bills, and done. This is no time for lofty dreams of extra. That said, there are a few other things I can put my energy to.

bobby747

MHR. you see its like fighting a losing battle. i am in a big city. uber just keeps changing the rules. i switched to wheelchair uber 3 years ago. thats really slow. but thank god i have my own private ones.
now uber laid off 14% of their staff. whats next. agree to terms of a new pay cut. if done. everyone should walk.
to drive with Corona at base is horrible...

percy_ardmore

This is the flip side of what people here are worried about. I see multiple comments like "there will be a flood of drivers now"......blah. blah. blah........all the time. The churn rate is extreme in all rideshare companies. It's not even a concern for me.

Have my goals changed ? Nope.........results will obviously, but goals stay the same. Hours and earnings are intertwined. After so many hours, I'll go home regardless of what my balance is if I feel that am behind the 8 ball for the day. This moment comes after lunch. If I 'm having a normal day, which to me is $200 in 10-12 hours, I'll stop when I get there.

I fully expect it to go back to where it was, and maybe be even better, for more than one reason.
And what are those reasons?

FLKeys

My goals have been unchanged since I started driving. Since this is a side gig for me my goal is to run the app as much as I can in my spare time while making more money per mile by a certain amount more than my true expenses. I'm still doing that today.

When the earnings per mile drops to a certain point I will stop driving before I start losing money.

tohunt4me

I drove over 200 miles yesterday.
Got called in early.
Left late.
Non stop all day.
Delivering pizza
My only day off today.
I got a call at 8:45 this morning.
Was sleeping.
I am Still Officially sleeping.

My goal is to Relax& cut grass today.
Post automatically merged:

My goal was always to cover monthly car payments and a bit more. Now that I have not driven rideshare since March 15th, I am pretty sure that I won't be driving U/L anymore. Too much wear and tear on the car, and too much for gasoline every month.
But
Big Oil NEEDS YOU RIGHT NOW!!!

bobby747

i totally disagree with the no time for xtra.
wife pay essential.. xtra. nurses everyone xtra. ubers cut 40% . and i call it risk reward.
the risk is high ...reward very low. no xtra why drive...
why is uber not helping us with same flat 10 %.. instead many 60 -40% cuts ubers way