• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Rear ended on the highway

Ozymandias16

Today I was rear ended on the highway where the 427 meets eastbound Gardiner. The damage doesn't seem to be too bad however somehow I forgot to get the guys insurance. How would filing a claim work if I was driving a fare and is it even possible to make a claim with a license plate?

The email he gave me doesn't work, I don't know if he was trying to pull a fast one, he seemed decent enough.

Any advice in this situation would be great, thanks.

Gone_in_60_seconds

Today I was rear ended on the highway where the 427 meets eastbound Gardiner. The damage doesn't seem to be too bad however somehow I forgot to get the guys insurance. How would filing a claim work if I was driving a fare and is it even possible to make a claim with a license plate?

The email he gave me doesn't work, I don't know if he was trying to pull a fast one, he seemed decent enough.

Sorry to hear about your misfortune. Did the accident occur in the course of doing Uber or Lyft? Or was it non-rideshare related personal use of your car/SUV?

Doccy

Let’s just hope he doesn’t fix his car before they reach him. Also get the pax info from Uber as witness

Underground

Sorry to hear that. If you were on a trip. Use the app to go to that trip and report the accident to uber. You will need to contact your personal and Uber's insurance if I am not wrong.

Zoomer3614

It will go through Uber once you report the accident in-app. They will collect your info and handle it.

Had a not at fault last month. Was easy to deal with, and no concern on Avivas end.

Ozymandias16

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks, it was through LYFT and I don't think his car had much damage. Would my personal insurance increase my premium if I am rideshare driving?

Zoomer3614

Do they not know??
When going through Lyft, which you must do as there was a passenger, they’ll also likely notify your insurance company.
At that point, there are companies that may make you uninsurable going forward as they may view ride share as commercial driving.

viren007

If your personal insurance knows you do rideshare then nothing to fear as lyft will take care of everything once they can confirm you actually have personal insurance.

If your personal insurance doesn't know, lyft won't actually call and snitch but there is indeed a risk.

Also, lyft will deactivate your car until they see pics of your car and if it's drivable. Also, $1k deductible if you are put on fault. You won't be but if you do.

MasterT

1st of all I can't answer for Lyft as this is an Uber forum.

Secondly I can only share with you my experience of dealing with having an accident while driving with Uber.

Just so that we are clear Uber insurance covers your vehicle only when you have accepted a ride and on your way to pick up pax or during the trip with pax in it.

Your incident was similar to mine as I did not even collect drivers info as damage was minimal but I will not do that again considering that driver was at fault cause he ran a stop sign and I had a pax.

This is what I was told by Uber and the claim adjuster that contacted me as unknown to me they had collected information from my pax and fortunately she did not file a claim for whiplash or other injuries although she seemed ok after the incident.

I know now for next time to share information with the driver I am involved with.

I will take a picture of the accident scene, take a picture of their license plate, take picture of their driver's license and insurance. Then provide them with only my Uber insurance and my driver's license. Also get pax name and number as a witness.

File a claim with Uber insurance and notify Uber. Once this happens your account will be suspended prior to Uber insurance adjuster deals with the matter or if you can prove to Uber that your vehicle is still in operational and safe condition to operate Uber. For which they will ask you to send them picks of your vehicle to prove that.

Then report the incident within 24 hours to the nearest collision reporting station cause if you fail to and the other driver does they could also put in a false claim and put you at fault.

Uber insurance covers you for no fault accidents so even if you did not get the other driver's insurance then repair can still be made to your car via Uber's insurance. You just have to pay the $1000 deductible 1st.

I hope my experience can help you and others.

Ozymandias16

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Secondly I can only share with you my experience of dealing with having an accident while driving with Uber.

Just so that we are clear Uber insurance covers your vehicle only when you have accepted a ride and on your way to pick up pax or during the trip with pax in it.

Your incident was similar to mine as I did not even collect drivers info as damage was minimal but I will not do that again considering that driver was at fault cause he ran a stop sign and I had a pax.

This is what I was told by Uber and the claim adjuster that contacted me as unknown to me they had collected information from my pax and fortunately she did not file a claim for whiplash or other injuries although she seemed ok after the incident.

I know now for next time to share information with the driver I am involved with.

I will take a picture of the accident scene, take a picture of their license plate, take picture of their driver's license and insurance. Then provide them with only my Uber insurance and my driver's license. Also get pax name and number as a witness.

File a claim with Uber insurance and notify Uber. Once this happens your account will be suspended prior to Uber insurance adjuster deals with the matter or if you can prove to Uber that your vehicle is still in operational and safe condition to operate Uber. For which they will ask you to send them picks of your vehicle to prove that.

Then report the incident within 24 hours to the nearest collision reporting station cause if you fail to and the other driver does they could also put in a false claim and put you at fault.

Uber insurance covers you for no fault accidents so even if you did not get the other driver's insurance then repair can still be made to your car via Uber's insurance. You just have to pay the $1000 deductible 1st.

Thanks for the information. I am waiting to hear from the adjuster for lyft. I think the damage is all aesthetically... Some scratches and paint on the bumper and the other driver didn't have any damage.

hooj

Where would you find your “Uber Insurance” in the app?

Kurt Halfyard

Author
Please note that this statement (above) is INACCURATE.

UP.NET is a RIDESHARE FORUM.

UBER is like KLEENEX or XEROX, insofar as the brand is also a name of the generic product. While there is a LYFT sub-forum off the main site, any discussions regarding LYFT are just as relevant as those about UBER. Most people in the Toronto market drive BOTH.