• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Rear-ended in Rochester

drdisaster

I was driving with a pax in the car northbound on Portland (enough said right there) and came to a stop at a red light at Bay Street. We were stopped for a few seconds when I heard a collision behind me and a split-second later, bam, I was rear-ended. Asked the pax if she was OK, she said yes, and I jumped out to check on the damage.

*** NOTE: *** Do not hesitate for a second, whip out your phone and start taking pictures IMMEDIATELY!

So I am taking pics as I go down the line... the pickup immediately behind me and the BMW that plowed into him. Then I walk back around to talk to the driver immediately behind me, who only speaks Spanish. Wouldn't you know it, the BMW takes off. So predictable.

Called 911... I had the make, model and plate and a lady doing a yard sale on the sidewalk had the suspect description. I give them a lot of credit because several RPD cars swooped in quickly. Two stayed with us while the others searched for the BMW.

Long story short, I took the hit in my receiver hitch with no visible damage. I am a bit pissed because that very morning I got new tires and an alignment, which is probably messed up. I also feel my rear suspension has a machine-gun-like recoil when I hit bumps that wasn't there before I was hit.

So, I'm thinking... Great! Uber insurance will check it all out and fix anything that got knocked loose. Then I realize... $1,000 deductible. *sigh* That's no help.

I don't want to go after the guy in the middle because he clearly doesn't have the means... driving a super old pickup that basically disintegrated into a pile of rust when he was hit. No, literally, there's a massive pile of rust chips sitting on Portland right now.

Anyone with Uber Insurance experience?

rideshare_driver_roc

Your legal recourse is to try to get reimbursed by the pickup driver and their insurance company. They should try to go after the bmw driver.
I would not try to do a hit and run claim against the uber insurance, as it the pickup driver did not take off and that was the vehicle that hit yours.

Good job on taking taking pictures immediately. If only you had it on video and captured the bmw plate and person's image, then it would be better for the pickup driver, so they could go after the bmw driver and their insurance.
Please consider getting a dashcam that faces the rear, asap. I am trying to figure out the cheapest way to get multiple cameras to record most angles so I automatically could get a record in a situation like this.

drdisaster

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I did get the BMW, front end, rear end, plate and model. I did not take the driver's photo but he's somewhat visible in one of them.
Post automatically merged:

So, basically what I hear you saying is screw Uber insurance and file a claim with the pickup company. Honestly, I don't even know what his insurance situation is yet. I am awaiting the police report with all the details.
Post automatically merged:

So, basically what I hear you saying is screw Uber insurance and file a claim with the pickup company. Honestly, I don't even know what his insurance situation is yet. I am awaiting the police report with all the details.

rideshare_driver_roc

Good job on getting the plate, you can give that info to the pickup driver's insurance as a bonus.
I would definitely not mention anything to uber at all. Uber, most of the time, will deactivate your car in case of an accident until you submit proof that your car is now ok to drive pax.
Second, it's a $1000 deductible.
Third and most important, the potential damage to your car was from another insured car. The insurance company is liable for the damage. Getting uber involved as a middle man only muddies the water and is not only no benefit to you, you'll probably be deactivated for a while.
If the damage is over $1000, you have to file the NYS DMV-104 report within 10 days, and then Uber will probably find out about it. Take pictures of the repair documentation so that you can submit this info to Uber right away and have a shorter deactivation time period.

Merc7186

Dashcams Save Insurance Lives.

Go after the guy behind you insurance company and get your neck and back checked out....maybe miss a couple of days of anting and get some lost revenue.

drdisaster

Well, I had to report it... I had a passenger in the car. Otherwise, I'd agree with you. If she comes up with anything, I want to be legit.

They did deactivate me just long enough to take and submit pics that my vehicle was not unsafe. I submitted them at night and by AM I was reactivated.

Waiting on the police report and will see what the guy behind me has for insurance. I can't imagine it's much... it really was a POS pickup composed mostly of rust.

drdisaster

So, actually Allstate, Uber's insurance in my case, was very cooperative. They said the $1000 deductible wouldn't apply in this case since I was completely devoid of any culpability. They found the owner and insurance of the BMW. They told me to go to the shop of my choice and get an estimate and they'd pin it all on them.

So, yesterday I went to a shop referred by many trusted friends. The guy was great, took a thorough look at everything. He came back and was honest: "Yeah, your rear shocks are shot. There's no fluid in them whatsoever. The accident may have been the final straw to kill them off but they've obviously been leaking for a long time. I can't in good conscience say that it was caused by the accident. Everything else looks great."

So, $250 cash and a couple hours later, I got my truck back riding smooth as when she was new. At 156,000 miles, I guess it was only a matter of time.

Allstate commended me for all the photos and the detailed description of what happened. So again, I recommend to everyone, if you get in a wreck on Uber or Lyft's clock, photo and video the shit out of the scene before anything moves or anyone takes off.

At the end of the day, I'm content and will take my blessings. I hope the driver of the BMW gets reamed for the hit-and-run and the damage to the pickup sandwiched in the middle.

WallyBBLues

Rule 101 always take pictures and get a report Now days we all have a camera on our phones Pictures and videos will be best also take videos of the passenger as well
Rule 102 always Cover Your Butt no matter the situation Im glad things work out for you.

Merc7186

So last weekend, I was down on Allen Street at 4am on saturday night....needed one more ride for a consecutive streak and a surge on top of it....I drove down to the end of the street, turned around and got a ping at Falley. As I am slowly crawling down that cesspool of a road, I am stopped because of traffic. Bam! Rear ended. I get out and look and it didnt look like there was any damage, so I pointed for the driver to follow me.

So I pulled over to the side and this chick pulls up and she says Hey. "Hey What, you hit me...pull over so we can swap info". She gets all pissy...I am pulled over. "Youre in the middle of the road blocking traffic, pull in front of me" She roars down the road, blows through the Red Light and speeds on down Elmwood. There was a cop standing right there and asked if she ran...gets on radio, 20 seconds later, a cop car goes flying after her. Thankfully no damage, neck was soar for a few days but the trip was worth it. Took less than 5 minutes, earned me $20 from the fare plus I took a friend of theirs around the block and dude dropped a $20 on me.