Rear ended by drunk driver

Jack Jenkins

I was driving for Uber and had six passengers in SUV, stopped for a traffic light and was immediately hit from behind. Fortunately no one had any serious injury. One person had a back issue and two others had their necks looked at by paramedics. Driver made no attempt to stop. There where no skid marks on a dry road surface. The driver behind wheel was arrested for DUI. Police found three open liquor bottles in her vehicle. This woman did not produce insurance information. My vehicle had to be towed due to radiator, and rear end damage. I had one ride before this accident and was put out of commission for the night. I lost a potential of $250 for the evening. My SUV was not drivable, I had to get a rental car to get to work. Uber was notified of the accident and immediately froze my account. I submitted all information to them and was contacted by James River Insurance 2 days later. It took them a little over a week (after numerous phone calls) to tell me they were totaling my SUV. They told me they do not cover a rental vehicle. It was my expense if I needed to have a car. My request to Uber for payment on the rental was "we don't pay for rental vehicles". Bottom line is they didn't care if I was inconvenienced even thou I was driving passengers for them. James River deducted $1000 from my settlement. I was able to payoff the loan on my vehicle and had a down payment on another vehicle, but I'm driving a lesser vehicle than I had because I didn't have a trade in to lower my new loan. I had to stop driving for Uber and Lyft because at this point I am on the losing end of this accident and don't know if I can recover any of the expenses. I found out this woman has not had insurance for almost a year. The state has let her drive all this time. Uber does not care about drivers that make money for the company. They also take more than a fair share of driver earnings. I could go on and on, but I'll stop here
Does anyone have advice on this

NHDriver

Yup, get a full time job with benefits that does not put your vehicle or you at risk everyday. RideShare should never be your only source of income for this reason and many others. I am sorry you had to go through such a bad experience. This should just be extra income added to your full time income from a different job.

SEAL Team 5

Next time research what you're getting yourself involved with before getting your side hustle on. You're lucky that the accident wasn't that bad. James River only has a $1 million limit on liability. The bill for six people in a serious accident could well exceed $1 million and even though you were of no fault you would still be held personally responsible for the remainder of the monies.

Uberfunitis

Next time research what you're getting yourself involved with before getting your side hustle on. You're lucky that the accident wasn't that bad. James River only has a $1 million limit on liability. The bill for six people in a serious accident could well exceed $1 million and even though you were of no fault you would still be held personally responsible for the remainder of the monies.
Why would you be held personally responsible for injuries that were not your fault especially in a clear cut uncontested case of a drunk driver rear ending you?

NHDriver

I do not believe this is true if the driver is not at fault or found to be negligent they will chase the driver who hit them and they are basically toast.

SEAL Team 5

Why would you be held personally responsible for injuries that were not your fault especially in a clear cut uncontested case of a drunk driver rear ending you?
You are Uber's favorite type of driver, ignorant to what you're really doing. You're a business owner and responsible for all actions, no matter of cause, that occur to your passengers while in your care custody and control. The same way as an establishment is responsible when it serves only one drink to a patron that causes an accident. The same way as U.S. Air was responsible for the bird strike that forced flight #1549 to land on the Hudson. The same way as the NFL was held liable for players health after playing a violent sport. The same way as gun manufactures are sued when their products are used for murder. The same way as McDonalds was sued for over $2 million when someone goes through a drive thru and orders HOT COFFEE then spills it on themselves as they're trying to open the lid while the car is moving. And my prediction for the future will be the Smart Phone manufacturers along with cellular service providers will be sued when some inexperienced 16 year old driver runs a red light and kills someone because they were texting/messaging as they were driving.

I do not believe this is true if the driver is not at fault or found to be negligent they will chase the driver who hit them and they are basically toast.
See above reply. It's the same for you.

Cableguynoe

You are Uber's favorite type of driver, ignorant to what you're really doing. You're a business owner and responsible for all actions, no matter of cause, that occur to your passengers while in your care custody and control. The same way as an establishment is responsible when it serves only one drink to a patron that causes an accident. The same way as U.S. Air was responsible for the bird strike that forced flight #1549 to land on the Hudson. The same way as the NFL was held liable for players health after playing a violent sport. The same way as gun manufactures are sued when their products are used for murder. The same way as McDonalds was sued for over $2 million when someone goes through a drive thru and orders HOT COFFEE then spills it on themselves as they're trying to open the lid while the car is moving. And my prediction for the future will be the Smart Phone manufacturers along with cellular service providers will be sued when some inexperienced 16 year old driver runs a red light and kills someone because they were texting/messaging as they were driving.

See above reply. It's the same for you.
The big difference is the attorneys in all those cases knew there was a lot of money to be made.
No one is going to sue a not at fault driver that, had nothing to begin with and will only file bankruptcy if he loses to protect the little he does have (possibly property).
No one gets anything and everyone loses time and money going through the process.

SEAL Team 5

The big difference is the attorneys in all those cases knew there was a lot of money to be made.
No one is going to sue a not at fault driver that, had nothing to begin with and will only file bankruptcy if he loses to protect the little he does have (possibly property).
No one gets anything and everyone loses time and money going through the process.
The attorney will name multiple defendants all at once. Uber, the driver, the at fault driver, James River and possibly even the vehicle manufacturer. The court will break down the percentages of responsibility. You are correct about the 99% of Uber drivers having little or no assets to sue for, but a judgement against you sucks.

There was a very recent case in Phoenix involving a patron and Jaguars Night Club that caused permanent paralysis to another driver. The patron that caused the accident had a limit of $100k on his insurance policy. The court awarded the victim to receive $170k from the at fault driver and almost $6 million from Jaguars.

keb

This is the reality of insurance and accidents in rideshare. This happens to a lot of people. It's all great until through no fault of your own these things happen.

I recommend doing a free consult with a lawyer. Perhaps you can get awarded damages from the other driver.

mikes424

Even if the driver that hit you had no insurance, you can still sue her for damages, lost income and other costs not covered by James River. I am sure James River is suing her to recoup their loss but that doesn’t exclude you from suing her also to trcoup your losses.

Not sure about your state but some states will suspend or revoke a driver license until damages from an at fault accident are settled.

disp350

Curious, since it seems you didn't have business or a policy that covers rideshareing, did your personal insurance kick in for part of the deductible? Did you have a rental vehicle clause on your policy (adds $25 a year to my personal and business/Rideshare policy)? Did your personal insurance tell you they won't cover the accident and they don't cover rideshareing and drop your coverage? Not being a smart aleck, really would like to know the details.

I really wish Uber would explain insurance better before letting anyone drive. Better yet, insist they have rideshare coverage since they won't ever make theirs better. But then they would probably lose 90% of their current X/pool drivers.

mikes424

Curious, since it seems you didn't have business or a policy that covers rideshareing, did your personal insurance kick in for part of the deductible? Did you have a rental vehicle clause on your policy (adds $25 a year to my personal and business/Rideshare policy)? Did your personal insurance tell you they won't cover the accident and they don't cover rideshareing and drop your coverage? Not being a smart aleck, really would like to know the details.

I really wish Uber would explain insurance better before letting anyone drive. Better yet, insist they have rideshare coverage since they won't ever make theirs better. But then they would probably lose 90% of their current X/pool drivers.

Actually, I would like all states to require rideshare insurance on all vehicles used for ride share.

Jack Jenkins

Yup, get a full time job with benefits that does not put your vehicle or you at risk everyday. RideShare should never be your only source of income for this reason and many others. I am sorry you had to go through such a bad experience. This should just be extra income added to your full time income from a different job.
Drove for Uber 2 years, over 2700 rides. I didn't just fall on to the planet! If you are giving advice like this, you should stop.

I was with your up until you made this statement.
How exactly has the state let her drive?
It is a law in Pennsylvania that drivers have insurance, proof of insurance is required to register a vehicle once a year, if insurance is not paid for a vehicle, insurance companies notify the DMV that vehicle is now uninsured. State notifies owner to provide insurance proof, or surrender vehicle license plate.

tohunt4me

I was driving for Uber and had six passengers in SUV, stopped for a traffic light and was immediately hit from behind. Fortunately no one had any serious injury. One person had a back issue and two others had their necks looked at by paramedics. Driver made no attempt to stop. There where no skid marks on a dry road surface. The driver behind wheel was arrested for DUI. Police found three open liquor bottles in her vehicle. This woman did not produce insurance information. My vehicle had to be towed due to radiator, and rear end damage. I had one ride before this accident and was put out of commission for the night. I lost a potential of $250 for the evening. My SUV was not drivable, I had to get a rental car to get to work. Uber was notified of the accident and immediately froze my account. I submitted all information to them and was contacted by James River Insurance 2 days later. It took them a little over a week (after numerous phone calls) to tell me they were totaling my SUV. They told me they do not cover a rental vehicle. It was my expense if I needed to have a car. My request to Uber for payment on the rental was "we don't pay for rental vehicles". Bottom line is they didn't care if I was inconvenienced even thou I was driving passengers for them. James River deducted $1000 from my settlement. I was able to payoff the loan on my vehicle and had a down payment on another vehicle, but I'm driving a lesser vehicle than I had because I didn't have a trade in to lower my new loan. I had to stop driving for Uber and Lyft because at this point I am on the losing end of this accident and don't know if I can recover any of the expenses. I found out this woman has not had insurance for almost a year. The state has let her drive all this time. Uber does not care about drivers that make money for the company. They also take more than a fair share of driver earnings. I could go on and on, but I'll stop here
Garnish her wages for the REST OF HER LIFE !

Jack Jenkins

Next time research what you are posting. I cannot be held responsible when another driver caused the accident. That person will be liable to pay all costs. These are the words of an attorney that was a former state representative in Pennsylvania.

Garnish her wages for the REST OF HER LIFE !
I intend to pursue that at her trial

tohunt4me

Next time research what you are posting. I cannot be held responsible when another driver caused the accident. That person will be liable to pay all costs. These are the words of an attorney that was a former state representative in Pennsylvania.

I intend to pursue that at her trial
If she gets 4 food stamps, you take 1.
FOREVER

Jack Jenkins

This is the reality of insurance and accidents in rideshare. This happens to a lot of people. It's all great until through no fault of your own these things happen.

I recommend doing a free consult with a lawyer. Perhaps you can get awarded damages from the other driver.
There are 4 different entities pursuing compensation from this woman. Paying back all parties may take many years. She may not realize how bad a mistake she made until after the hearing.

If she gets 4 food stamps, you take 1.
FOREVER
don't bother posting if that's all you have to say.

My insurance company was well aware I was driving for Uber and Lyft. The accident happened while I had Uber passengers in the vehicle, therefore James River was the insurance carrier. I notified my insurance company that their insured vehicle was in an accident. They provided me with 1 day rental car and since I was driving for Uber it would be Ubers insurance company covering the accident. Why would you think they would cover part of the deductible? My insurance company did not drop me or raise my rates. They were happy that they didn't have to pay. They also helped me investigate the driver for insurance information.

SEAL Team 5

If you know this to be factual then why does your very first post ask for advice? Hell, if the other driver that caused the accident "will be liable to pay all costs" then why didn't you rent a brand new Cadillac Escalade to Uber in? Just tell the rental company to send the bill to the at fault driver that hasn't had any insurance in a year. And from the words of the former State Representative now turned attorney I'm concluding that Pennsylvania does not require uninsured/underinsured liability insurance while operating a commercial vehicle.