Realistic Uber Earnings

Larrikin

I've been trying to work out what, if anything, you can actually make out of this rideshare game and like most people, I've reached the conclusion there is no way it can become a full time job, purely as depreciation will relatively quickly, destroy your asset and that's assuming you own your vehicle - if you're leasing or HPing a vehicle, you're better off working at Bunnings or McDonalds.

So Rideshare driving is at best, given the current circumstances, regarded as a short term income method, although I do think there will be interesting and worthwhile trajectories develop as the game goes on, but I could be wrong. Looking at my earnings, after Uber have taken their cut, I make the following generalisations, although they are based on established earnings and patterns:

Mondays: Waste of Time, do your paperwork, the lawn, book a holiday.
Tuesdays: OK, usually short trips, fairly constant but not great paying, I don't bother going out after 5.00pm, work on $20.00 per hour average, 11hr day = $220.00
Wednesdays: Better, similar to Tuesdays, better trips - airport runs start, work on $25.00 per hour, 11hr day = $275.00
Thursdays: Good days, if you're keen, hit the road at 3.30am, slows down late morning, but picks up again mid afternoon, evenings can be very good. Work on $30,00 per hour, 12hr day = $360.00
Fridays: Excellent days and nights, hit the road early am and work through to early AM, I take a bit of time off from 6.00pm through to 8.30pm. Work on $30.00 per hour, but early mornings, it can go to $35.00ph. Say 14hrs = $420.00
Saturdays: Have never done early mornings on Saturdays, early arvo on, you tend to get the shopper etc, but as is well known, the night is where it's at, work till 3.00 / 4.00am, work on $30.00 per hour as the afternoons will drag the average down a bit, say 14hrs = $420.00
Sundays: Never done them, might one day just out of interest.

That adds up to $1,695.00 for a 62hr five day week, sure it's gross, and you've got $170.00 GST to pay and don't think you can avoid it. Then if your car is economical (mine is) you'll fork out about $150.00 in fuel, so realistically (and yes, I'm aware insurance, depreciation, cleaning etc and the new licence fees aren't factored in - see "Not a full time" proposition), you'll end up with around $1,376.00 in your hand for the five days.

To put that in perspective, if you drive a semi tipper around Perth (tip off freight, not walk on walk off!), you'll probably get around $25.00 per hour (casual rates, no holidays, but you get super and usually penalty rates), for five and a half days - say 10.5hrs Mon - Fri and 7hrs Sat. You'll clear (after tax), about $1,350.00 for a 59hr week, not forgetting you'll probably have driven 70 - 80kms per day to and fro work, so that's 480ks and an extra hour each day = 65hrs. So in many ways, rideshare driving is more or less on a par with casual truck driving work, accept you can claim far more in the way of expenses.

But if I had to lease a car, at say $323.00 per week, then the income would be $1,053.00 per week (you're still paying for fuel). Leasing a car, or buying one on hire purchase, only makes sense if the car runs 24hrs a day, but you can't keep doing that, so you need another driver and then life gets interesting. If you think the taxman is going to come looking for you for the GST (he is), wait until Fairwork Australia comes looking for you to discuss the people working for you as sub-contractors and believe me, it's going to happen. Be prepared to lose your house and probably go bankrupt, but don't worry, you can drive as an Uber driver and never have to repay the debt!

Other people might have a different experience, but this is what I've found and to qualify my comments, I'm a retired minesite roadtrain driver, I regularly drive a semi tipper round town and I've driven rideshare for both Uber and Shofer.
Cheers.

whocareaboutPAX

Oh boy.. Anybody that thinks Uber should be a full time income is mad. At the end of the day we are all responsible for the suicides, loss of houses etc from many taxi drivers.

Larrikin

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Oh boy.. Anybody that thinks Uber should be a full time income is mad. At the end of the day we are all responsible for the suicides, loss of houses etc from many taxi drivers.
No way in the world am I responsible for the arrogant stupid so called business people who own taxi plates. As a constant user of taxis over many years, mainly to and fro the airports, (it was always a waste of time trying to book / find a cab late on a Friday or Saturday night), I longed for the day when somebody would come up with a decent service, decent attitude and a desire to help the travelling public. Every time (hour in hour out every day) I drive past a line of taxis to drop off or pick up customers, I smile, remembering all those hostile phone calls and sullen hostile drivers! Good bye, so long and thanks for the fish.

Potsy

I've been trying to work out what, if anything, you can actually make out of this rideshare game and like most people, I've reached the conclusion there is no way it can become a full time job, purely as depreciation will relatively quickly, destroy your asset and that's assuming you own your vehicle - if you're leasing or HPing a vehicle, you're better off working at Bunnings or McDonalds.

So Rideshare driving is at best, given the current circumstances, regarded as a short term income method, although I do think there will be interesting and worthwhile trajectories develop as the game goes on, but I could be wrong. Looking at my earnings, after Uber have taken their cut, I make the following generalisations, although they are based on established earnings and patterns:

Tuesdays: OK, usually short trips, fairly constant but not great paying, I don't bother going out after 5.00pm, work on $20.00 per hour average, 11hr day = $220.00
Wednesdays: Better, similar to Tuesdays, better trips - airport runs start, work on $25.00 per hour, 11hr day = $275.00
Thursdays: Good days, if you're keen, hit the road at 3.30am, slows down late morning, but picks up again mid afternoon, evenings can be very good. Work on $30,00 per hour, 12hr day = $360.00
Fridays: Excellent days and nights, hit the road early am and work through to early AM, I take a bit of time off from 6.00pm through to 8.30pm. Work on $30.00 per hour, but early mornings, it can go to $35.00ph. Say 14hrs = $420.00
Saturdays: Have never done early mornings on Saturdays, early arvo on, you tend to get the shopper etc, but as is well known, the night is where it's at, work till 3.00 / 4.00am, work on $30.00 per hour as the afternoons will drag the average down a bit, say 14hrs = $420.00

That adds up to $1,695.00 for a 62hr five day week, sure it's gross, and you've got $170.00 GST to pay and don't think you can avoid it. Then if your car is economical (mine is) you'll fork out about $150.00 in fuel, so realistically (and yes, I'm aware insurance, depreciation, cleaning etc and the new licence fees aren't factored in - see "Not a full time" proposition), you'll end up with around $1,376.00 in your hand for the five days.

To put that in perspective, if you drive a semi tipper around Perth (tip off freight, not walk on walk off!), you'll probably get around $25.00 per hour (casual rates, no holidays, but you get super and usually penalty rates), for five and a half days - say 10.5hrs Mon - Fri and 7hrs Sat. You'll clear (after tax), about $1,350.00 for a 59hr week, not forgetting you'll probably have driven 70 - 80kms per day to and fro work, so that's 480ks and an extra hour each day = 65hrs. So in many ways, rideshare driving is more or less on a par with casual truck driving work, accept you can claim far more in the way of expenses.

But if I had to lease a car, at say $323.00 per week, then the income would be $1,053.00 per week (you're still paying for fuel). Leasing a car, or buying one on hire purchase, only makes sense if the car runs 24hrs a day, but you can't keep doing that, so you need another driver and then life gets interesting. If you think the taxman is going to come looking for you for the GST (he is), wait until Fairwork Australia comes looking for you to discuss the people working for you as sub-contractors and believe me, it's going to happen. Be prepared to lose your house and probably go bankrupt, but don't worry, you can drive as an Uber driver and never have to repay the debt!

Other people might have a different experience, but this is what I've found and to qualify my comments, I'm a retired minesite roadtrain driver, I regularly drive a semi tipper round town and I've driven rideshare for both Uber and Shofer.
Cheers.
If you actually achieve these figures then good on you...your doing better than me.
I do about 30 hours a week over weekends to get about $700 after ubers commission. But the rest of the week I think is a waste of time except for public holidays and find its a better use of my time just doing odd jobs around the house.
Sometimes I'll do a couple of hours during a weekday just to confirm it's still crap and it always is.
Before the rate cut I would always make about $1000 per week but now I'm trying to slowly edge myself out of this game.
Something Dog said which I can relate too and that is its a bit of an addiction doing this where you just can't seem to stop yourself getting out there amongst it sometimes to see whats going on.

Larrikin

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
If you actually achieve these figures then good on you...your doing better than me.
I do about 30 hours a week over weekends to get about $700 after ubers commission. But the rest of the week I think is a waste of time except for public holidays and find its a better use of my time just doing odd jobs around the house.
Sometimes I'll do a couple of hours during a weekday just to confirm it's still crap and it always is.
Before the rate cut I would always make about $1000 per week but now I'm trying to slowly edge myself out of this game.
Something Dog said which I can relate too and that is its a bit of an addiction doing this where you just can't seem to stop yourself getting out there amongst it sometimes to see whats going on.
I do achieve them, but I don't always work those hours, good point about the addiction thing - it's gambling. I do it stupidly to myself in the wee small hours , leaving the app on till I'm almost home, the bloody thing inevitably goes off, just as I reach my street and I think "Why didn't I turn it off?"

lui6155

Generally agree with your prognosis Larrikin and yes it doesn't stack up to work days, even airport jobs can be dead kms. Yes there are those that are new to the game and will take those jobs during the weekday but this is uneconomical/results in the transfer of ur equity in ur car to the pax and uber.
Made more sense before the rate cut/makes sense in Sydney with 50% higher tariffs but in Perth its dumb economics.
I am sure Uber have come to the same conclusion but whilst newbies keep jumping in and accepting anything u don't blame them for standing idle so long as acceptance rates remain high.
Interestingly I saw a post in a Melbourne forum where pax requests were being received by drivers 28mins away...here we get up to 10mins which is the max I consider.

Daz

I do achieve them, but I don't always work those hours, good point about the addiction thing - it's gambling. I do it stupidly to myself in the wee small hours , leaving the app on till I'm almost home, the bloody thing inevitably goes off, just as I reach my street and I think "Why didn't I turn it off?"
They know where you live. Lol

Potsy

Generally agree with your prognosis Larrikin and yes it doesn't stack up to work days, even airport jobs can be dead kms. Yes there are those that are new to the game and will take those jobs during the weekday but this is uneconomical/results in the transfer of ur equity in ur car to the pax and uber.
Made more sense before the rate cut/makes sense in Sydney with 50% higher tariffs but in Perth its dumb economics.
I am sure Uber have come to the same conclusion but whilst newbies keep jumping in and accepting anything u don't blame them for standing idle so long as acceptance rates remain high.
Interestingly I saw a post in a Melbourne forum where pax requests were being received by drivers 28mins away...here we get up to 10mins which is the max I consider.
Ive been offered jobs over 20 mins away which I laugh at and would never accept.
I wonder why Sydney rates are so much higher than here in Perth?

UberPig

Danger money!!! Have you ever driven in Sydney?!!!!!!!

I'm not sure these too words belong together.....
Uber & Earnings

Last edited:

Srbija

Afl finals,last year. $1000 for one day. 14 hours. 1000÷14=71. After that uber incom start going down. I loved to drive. Now I can't wait for pax to get out of the car. But mine is still going on,$54 per hour,2/1.

Kiwitrains

Cheers.
Don't forget to take the tax off the $1376.00 !!!

haldriver

Ive been offered jobs over 20 mins away which I laugh at and would never accept.
I wonder why Sydney rates are so much higher than here in Perth?
Uber fees calculated on percentage of Taxi fares to kill competition. Was about 2/3 now is way less.
Taxi lease fees were much higher there as well compared to Perth. A Taxi driver in Perth would make almost as much as a Sydney driver when cost taken into account (well that was case 20 years ago when I came from Sydney to Perth).

Potsy

Afl finals,last year. $1000 for one day. 14 hours. 1000÷14=71. After that uber incom start going down. I loved to drive. Now I can't wait for pax to get out of the car. But mine is still going on,$54 per hour,2/1.
Watch out....the uberization of the workforce has started...only a matter of time $54 an hour will become a thing of the past

UberPig

Ubergas rate cut... .5c per litre pumped...
You will earn more money pumping more gas!!!!

haldriver

Uberisation, Ubernomics - find people desperate enough to work for next to nothing and say that's ok welcome aboard.

Working for uber you'll never take more than$1.00 km.
You will increasing have to work more hours whilst doing less work and only get paid for that productivity not for the hours worked.
More people will share the workload and the income will be diluted between them.
You will provide your own equipment and workplace.
You will pay Uber's costs.
You will pay Uber's tax/GST.
You will be subject to laws whilst Uber disclaims any association or responsibility for your actions.

UberPig

Uberisation, Ubernomics - find people desperate enough to work for next to nothing and say that's ok welcome aboard.

Working for uber you'll never take more than$1.00 km.
You will increasing have to work more hours whilst doing less work and only get paid for that productivity not for the hours worked.
More people will share the workload and the income will be diluted between them.
You will provide your own equipment and workplace.
You will pay Uber's costs.
You will pay Uber's tax/GST.
You will be subject to laws whilst Uber disclaims any association or responsibility for your actions.
This is a very sad reality!!! I am lucky enough to not have to continue. The 1% that have most of the wealth that control this. Creating a nation of slaves that cannot break free. This should be banned in Australia and replaced by a more equitable system.
This is NOT the way we do things here in the lucky country!! IS IT ???!!!!!