• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Realistic income driving only for Uber in Coachella Valley

CV Driver

I have been researching the possibility of driving for Uber here in the Coachella Valley and I will be based in the east end of the valley.
From what I have found out so far, I'll have to work Friday and Saturday nights, Saturday and Sunday days and find the best times to work during the week.
I've estimated that my expenses (gas, insurance, car washes, maintenance. etc.) will be in the range of $125 to $140 a week based on 500 miles driving per week.
So, to net out a bare, bare minimum of $400 per week (equivalent to 40 hours at minimum wage) I'd have to gross at least $525 per week. And, of course, I want to do a lot better than that.
Am I close to my estimates or totally out of whack. How may hours would it take?
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!!

RogerJS

I have been researching the possibility of driving for Uber here in the Coachella Valley and I will be based in the east end of the valley.
From what I have found out so far, I'll have to work Friday and Saturday nights, Saturday and Sunday days and find the best times to work during the week.
I've estimated that my expenses (gas, insurance, car washes, maintenance. etc.) will be in the range of $125 to $140 a week based on 500 miles driving per week.
So, to net out a bare, bare minimum of $400 per week (equivalent to 40 hours at minimum wage) I'd have to gross at least $525 per week. And, of course, I want to do a lot better than that.
Am I close to my estimates or totally out of whack. How may hours would it take?
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!!
Driving in the CV you'll average slightly less then $10 per hour before your expenses.. As an average .. Some days less some more ...
Don't forget deprecation on the car also you'll need what's called drivers insurance.. If you don't have it and your insurance co finds out you'll be cxl'd - also be aware of the deductible if you get into an accident$1,000 for uber 2,500 for lyft
This gig only makes sense for extra income ie retired or second job in the CV if you are thinking about it as a full time gig - suggest you find something else
Also rethink your mileage .. You'll drive 2 to 3 times with an empty car as you will with a passenger .. So figure 1 k to 1.5 k miles for $500

RogerJS

Driving in the CV you'll average slightly less then $10 per hour before your expenses.. As an average .. Some days less some more ...
Don't forget deprecation on the car also you'll need what's called drivers insurance.. If you don't have it and your insurance co finds out you'll be cxl'd - also be aware of the deductible if you get into an accident$1,000 for uber 2,500 for lyft
This gig only makes sense for extra income ie retired or second job in the CV if you are thinking about it as a full time gig - suggest you find something else
Also rethink your mileage .. You'll drive 2 to 3 times with an empty car as you will with a passenger .. So figure 1 k to 1.5 k miles for $500
I've posted my earnings from today as an example less than $7 an hour ... and I earn more then most drivers as I've been doing it the longer then most

Attachments

CV Driver

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
That pretty much sucks. Why are you still driving? How much better is it on weekends and do you keep doing this just to get to events and in-season demand?
Thanks for the input.

RogerJS

That pretty much sucks. Why are you still driving? How much better is it on weekends and do you keep doing this just to get to events and in-season demand?
Thanks for the input.
I pretty much do it just to get out , beats watching tv all day ..weekend days use to be better however uber / lyft has over saturated the area with too many drivers so that's now slow too.. they use to cap the number of drivers but no longer. You can do a little better working Sat / Sun nights but you need to be ready to deal with the crap of drunks .. the festivals are ok but again not like it use to be ... soooo many drivers come in from LA and all over CA ...
the drivers that really want to make money drive to OC or LA to work ..
not trying to burst your plans just being upfront with you

samsax

I've been doing okay here. The days I do best I get a ride from 29 palms to Palm Springs airport and then I usually just stick around. Last Friday made $100 in 3 hours so it's really a hit or a miss

Monday I got a ride from 29 to LA and it was $120 trip, no tip. Long trip but since I was in LA I got another couple of rides. Hate LA traffic tho.

RogerJS

I've been doing okay here. The days I do best I get a ride from 29 palms to Palm Springs airport and then I usually just stick around. Last Friday made $100 in 3 hours so it's really a hit or a miss

Monday I got a ride from 29 to LA and it was $120 trip, no tip. Long trip but since I was in LA I got another couple of rides. Hate LA traffic tho.
If your working 29 palms you can do a little better with chance of long trips but in the average if you're working the desert day time avg until season is around $10 an hour
There are occasional trips to LA which I turn down most .. not a fan spending up to 7 hours driving in traffic for $140

samsax

One was to LA, another was to corona. The others were to Palm Springs from 29. Traffic blew but it was nice to have some time driving back by myself :smiles:

RogerJS

One was to LA, another was to corona. The others were to Palm Springs from 29. Traffic blew but it was nice to have some time driving back by myself :smiles:
Damn if your getting that much activity up there maybe I should head up to drive !
Barley avg $10 an hour in the Coachella valley .. Probably not I think it may be time to stop driving after 3 years .. Way too many drivers signed up over the past year

Matty760

rates are lower starting out of 29 as well so thats impressive! I only do XL and Plus in the valley, very rarely will i take a regular ride unless its surging big time and Im not getting any XL requests or Im driving towards somewhere and the rider is going that way. I try to average $50 per ride for 5 miles if possible lol. Im also a picky Cherry picker, since I only take the Plus rides and XL and not regular ones as well as I don't take a ride normally unless its surging. like i said earlier unless I'm having to drive a certain way anyways then ill take anything but thats rare. Ill attach a pic as a tease but this is not the normal. I just happened to get a great surge ride that was long!uuu.png

Also if you driver with Uber then you might as well drive for lyft as well and have more options!
Heres a pic back from March.. no music festivals or anything special going on, just a busy night with a big surge and it was a Plus ride!

Attachments

Norm22

Every once in a while the timing is right, otherwise I keep my days short. I also don't rely for rent, etc.