Ratings

RedskinFan

First, sorry if this is in the wrong place. Hello I am a newbie to the uber driving phoneme and had a question for the experienced folks. I have only been driving for two weeks and on my second day I must have received a four because my average went from 5 stars to a 4.93. Since then I have received all 5's from passengers who have rated me and my average went up to a 4.97. Yesterday my average dropped to a 4.81 (no passengers had rated me as the rated trips and 5 star ratings were the same). Today it dropped again to a 4.81 ( a passenger had rated me 5 stars as the rated trips went up one and the 5 stars went up one). How is this possible? People are rating me 5 stars yet my average goes down. Sorry for the lengthy post but I have emailed uber support and all I get is generic answers. Generic like different people are giving me the exact same answer from a book. Just some more info, app says 44 (lifetime trips) / 37 (rated trips) / 36 (5 stars). Average 4.81. Any info appreciated. Thanks

WestSubDriver

No problem asking that on this forum. I've recently seen similar issues posted here. One lesson is don't expect much from Partner Support - as you've already experienced. You're just going to get the scripted replies. My understanding is that the rating is a weighted average. The figures you quote above are a mathematical impossibility. Even if that 37th rated trip was 1-star, the average rating should be 4.89. Although this doesn't make a whole lot of sense it could be that there are rated trips calculated in the displayed average that aren't included in the displayed rated trip totals. I've experienced delays in the app displaying updated information. Just a guess. Give it a little time and see if it sorts itself out and starts to make sense.

RedskinFan

No problem asking that on this forum. I've recently seen similar issues posted here. One lesson is don't expect much from Partner Support - as you've already experienced. You're just going to get the scripted replies. My understanding is that the rating is a weighted average. The figures you quote above are a mathematical impossibility. Even if that 37th rated trip was 1-star, the average rating should be 4.89. Although this doesn't make a whole lot of sense it could be that there are rated trips calculated in the displayed average that aren't included in the displayed rated trip totals. I've experienced delays in the app displaying updated information. Just a guess. Give it a little time and see if it sorts itself out and starts to make sense.
Thanks appreciate it, also just a stupid thought. Would it deem unprofessional to have a sign that just displayed something like "5 stars keeps me on the road / 4 stars I could lose my job. I have seen some things like this on the web posted from drivers. I just don't think people know how bad 4 stars really are.

WestSubDriver

Thanks appreciate it, also just a stupid thought. Would it deem unprofessional to have a sign that just displayed something like "5 stars keeps me on the road / 4 stars I could lose my job. I have seen some things like this on the web posted from drivers. I just don't think people know how bad 4 stars really are.
I've never felt the need to go there. Seems a bit tacky and desperate to me. My approach has been to be polite and act professional and let the cards fall where they will. My experience has been that over 90% of passengers will rate you 5 stars. A bunch more might give you 4 stars and then there are that 1-2% who just suck and might rate you low out of no fault of your own (in a bad mood, didn't like the surge fare, because of traffic it took longer to get to them than the app estimated, etc.) and you just let it go.

ZeldaMc

[QUOTE="... I have only been driving for two weeks and on my second day I must have received a four because my average went from 5 stars to a 4.93. Since then I have received all 5's from passengers who have rated me and my average went up to a 4.97. Yesterday my average dropped to a 4.81 (no passengers had rated me as the rated trips and 5 star ratings were the same). Today it dropped again to a 4.81...[/QUOTE]

There's something wrong with their calculator - during my first 2-3 weeks my rating fluctuated even during days I did not drive! Plus, Uber support would not help me when I had a first-time rider unfairly rate me a '1' (I believe it had to be a 1 to cause such a drastic declination) because he didn't know the street, only street number in the big Myrtle Woods condotel development--after he realized the main street in was not the street. He also said he did not have a key to get in. I warned him that the condo numbers repeated on different streets, that he could be wandering around for hours without knowing the exact address. I offered to drive him to the check-in area to see if the front desk could help him, he declined. I offered to wait until he confirmed he did have the right address by contacting his friends. He claimed his friends told him they would not have their phones while golfing. He requested we drive around, hoping he would spot one friend's vehicle. Then, he complained I was driving around too much, insisted I stop and give him a total fare. He also wanted me to prove his new rider coupon was applied - he treated me like I was lying when I told him I had no way of providing either information as trip pricing calculation can take over an hour! Anyway, my rating plummeted and he was my only noticeably dissatisfied customer. Uber gave me a canned answer when I requested the rating be removed and explained what I believed caused my rating to drop. They said not to worry until after 500 rides average reached. Still, not fair that an unrated new and bad rider can deflate one's rating the way this rider did mine.

For the longest time when i 1st started i had 5 stars and i remember looking at it one day and having 4. something and i couldnt for the life of me figure out who would have given me less than 5 stars . It happens theres nothing really you can do about it, i just treat everybody the same and try and get them to there destination in a timely manner safely and give them some great conversation. And hope the 5 stars come rollin in lol, Some times you will get a drunk person or rude person that didnt enjoy the ride for whatever reason or like your conversation and they just give you what they give you. I have done well over 1000 trips and i slowly see it going up and up 4.89 4.9 4.91 is where i sit currently. People do what they want and there isent much you can do about it. In my personal opinion asking or enticing a 5 star rating will end badly people dont really like to be told what to do just let it happen naturally and foster the 5 star with great ride experience and great conversation. I have some blue L.E.Ds under my seats and dash and my car smells great, i cant tell you how many people get in and instantly tell me its the nicest uber they have been it or hey awesome lights im gonna give you 5 stars. It happens all the time and thats before i even start driving or talking lol sometimes its the small things. Also alot of my tips come from people i have had amazing conversations with about all aspects of life just engage the people feel them out and go from there the rest will fall into place is really the only advice i can give you on that.

I have done over 1000 trips and only 739 of them are rated and 690 of them are 5 stars. I have tons of great comments and no issues. It was explained to me that both rider and driver have to rate. Someone told me once riders have to rate before they can take there next trip so alot of the unrated trips are older people or people that use the app once while on vacation or something and never open it again. Im not 100% as i havent taken an uber ride in a long time.

Stuff like this make me feel so good about myself. I really didnt do anything special for the guy just listened and was courteous and apparently made a big impact on him. I get lots of random 5 star comments like "Cool Lights" "Awesome Car" "Great Guy" but this one made me feel so good this is the stuff i strive for. Your only in peoples lives for a small amount of time and if you can make an impact your doing something right .....

RedskinFan

For the longest time when i 1st started i had 5 stars and i remember looking at it one day and having 4. something and i couldnt for the life of me figure out who would have given me less than 5 stars . It happens theres nothing really you can do about it, i just treat everybody the same and try and get them to there destination in a timely manner safely and give them some great conversation. And hope the 5 stars come rollin in lol, Some times you will get a drunk person or rude person that didnt enjoy the ride for whatever reason or like your conversation and they just give you what they give you. I have done well over 1000 trips and i slowly see it going up and up 4.89 4.9 4.91 is where i sit currently. People do what they want and there isent much you can do about it. In my personal opinion asking or enticing a 5 star rating will end badly people dont really like to be told what to do just let it happen naturally and foster the 5 star with great ride experience and great conversation. I have some blue L.E.Ds under my seats and dash and my car smells great, i cant tell you how many people get in and instantly tell me its the nicest uber they have been it or hey awesome lights im gonna give you 5 stars. It happens all the time and thats before i even start driving or talking lol sometimes its the small things. Also alot of my tips come from people i have had amazing conversations with about all aspects of life just engage the people feel them out and go from there the rest will fall into place is really the only advice i can give you on that.

I have done over 1000 trips and only 739 of them are rated and 690 of them are 5 stars. I have tons of great comments and no issues. It was explained to me that both rider and driver have to rate. Someone told me once riders have to rate before they can take there next trip so alot of the unrated trips are older people or people that use the app once while on vacation or something and never open it again. Im not 100% as i havent taken an uber ride in a long time.

Stuff like this make me feel so good about myself. I really didnt do anything special for the guy just listened and was courteous and apparently made a big impact on him. I get lots of random 5 star comments like "Cool Lights" "Awesome Car" "Great Guy" but this one made me feel so good this is the stuff i strive for. Your only in peoples lives for a small amount of time and if you can make an impact your doing something right .....

Thank for the replies everyone. Only about 3 weeks into the driving. The rating thing just infuriates me sometimes. Like yesterday someone rated me a 4. I just don't know why. Out of 73 trips 61 are rated and 58 are 5 stars (4.87 rating). I just wish if you got them from point A to point B in a safe and timely manner and your car was clean then they knew to just rate you a 5. I mean your job is really on the line when you think about it. Straight 4's and your done! Thanks again. Newbie learning

m1a1mg

Don't stress ratings. They will do what they do. Be yourself, be nice to customers, take the shortest route, always have GPS running so the pax knows you are taking the preferred route. I always ask if they would like me to change the music or the temperature. 4.91 rating.