• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Ratings/tipping

Mike3538

do you guys have certain systems for rating pax? For instance. If someone jumps in my car without a destination entered and just tells me a street, it's an automatic 4* or worse (unless they tip). Some people don't put in the destination because they want to navigate themselves, which is fine if they want to. But I know some of you go 4 or less no matter how pleasant the pax was, if they don't tip. I dont do that. Uber promotes they don't have to tip so not necessarily their fault.
If someone comes in the car, destination entered, they say hello, then don't speak until the ride is over, say thank you when the ride is over. What do I rate them? I don't mind a conversation, I also don't mind no talking and just the music on. But I feel as though there's no way the pax whom I didn't speak with all ride for 15 minutes is going to 5* me. Most likely they won't rate at all, so what do I do. I mean, I give myself a little credit, I have 2 phone chargers, water, gum, mints, clean new car, so I'm sure the ride is pleasant without chatting. But the people who chat me up and the conversation is good, I know that's a 5* for me. Anyway, what are your standards for rating?

LEAFdriver

I only reserve 5 stars for people who TIP. Actually, they can even do one or two things totally wrong...like not have destination entered, etc....and still get 5 stars as long as they TIP. A couple weeks ago I had a pax that I had previously picked up several times before. I knew she was a NON tipper. :frown: This time....as soon as she got in the car...she starts asking me if I'd be able to WAIT for her for 5 minutes at her first destination and then continue on to her next destination. I said 'Sure..if you are now tipping your Uber drivers!' She got the point. I ended up waiting 10 minutes for her rather than the 5 minutes she said it was going to take....but at the end of the trip, she tipped me $20 via the Square Reader. Automatic 5 stars....because she tipped accordingly! Regular 10-15 minute ride with no other special requests....$1 or $2 would have gotten them a 5* rating. So it depends on the particular pax and/or trip.

Dillanwasx

Personally, I 5 start everyone and I make sure they see me do it. I gave a 1 star one time due to her vomiting on my leather interior. I did it on front of her face but I guess she was too lit to notice because my rating has not gone down.

For me, I think the best way of getting a 5 star and getting a tip is for the pax seeing you rate them a 5. My phone is on my windshield and my phone is very large. They see it everytime. If they don't tip after that, its too late anyway as their rating has already been entered.

Dillan

Mike3538

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I only reserve 5 stars for people who TIP. Actually, they can even do one or two things totally wrong...like not have destination entered, etc....and still get 5 stars as long as they TIP. A couple weeks ago I had a pax that I had previously picked up several times before. I knew she was a NON tipper. :frown: This time....as soon as she got in the car...she starts asking me if I'd be able to WAIT for her for 5 minutes at her first destination and then continue on to her next destination. I said 'Sure..if you are now tipping your Uber drivers!' She got the point. I ended up waiting 10 minutes for her rather than the 5 minutes she said it was going to take....but at the end of the trip, she tipped me $20 via the Square Reader. Automatic 5 stars....because she tipped accordingly! Regular 10-15 minute ride with no other special requests....$1 or $2 would have gotten them a 5* rating. So it depends on the particular pax and/or trip.
I never even thoughtttt about using a square reader.. Do you have it visibly on your phone so people see it?!

Mike3538

Personally, I 5 start everyone and I make sure they see me do it. I gave a 1 star one time due to her vomiting on my leather interior. I did it on front of her face but I guess she was too lit to notice because my rating has not gone down.

For me, I think the best way of getting a 5 star and getting a tip is for the pax seeing you rate them a 5. My phone is on my windshield and my phone is very large. They see it everytime. If they don't tip after that, its too late anyway as their rating has already been entered.

Dillan
Noted. I feel like a lot of pax are oblivious to the fact that we can rate them. My rating is a 4.88 currently. Down from a 4.9 for a bout 2 weeks. Hoping it doesn't all go downhill.

UberXTampa

Anyone you would like to have as a pax again is a 5 star. If they don't tip, take 1 star away.
If surge fare, they are still 5 star as long as they are pleasant and respectful.

Mike3538

I reserve 5 stars for tippers and people who wait for me curbside when I pull up..
So true. The people who are curbside and also waive to let you know it's them is clutch. I should take that into consideration for their rating. When pax are ready to go it saves so much time and makes things so much easier

UberHammer

Past Sponsor
But I know some of you go 4 or less no matter how pleasant the pax was, if they don't tip. I dont do that. Uber promotes they don't have to tip so not necessarily their fault.
It's the policy of every business in the world that customers don't have to tip. A tip, by it's very nature, is optional, and not required. No businesses require tipping... even restaurants. As long as you paid for the meal, you're free to go.

Mike3538

It's the policy of every business in the world that customers don't have to tip. A tip, by it's very nature, is optional, and not required. No businesses require tipping... even restaurants. As long as you paid for the meal, you're free to go.
Yeah, good point. But I feel like that's always been ubers pitch. Like if a new restaurant came on the scene and their promotion was like, "no need to tip"

UberLou

I hate more than anything the way Uber communicates about tips. They go out of their way to tell riders they should not tip. It pisses me off but it is not the riders fault and drivers who ding passengers for not tipping are misusing the ratings system. I want to know who the @@@@@@@@ are, the pukers are, the shove 7 people in an Uber X, etc. Educate your passengers as appropriate about tipping, help them understand. Don't abuse the ratings system. I five start almost everyone and if asked I spread the word to tip your drivers.

You guys can disagree and argue with me all you want to. I know for a fact if Uber determines you are taking stars off for no tipping you will be deactivated. I have two buddies now driving for Lyft because they got busted. Mark my word your time is coming if you do this asinine practice.

Dillanwasx

I don't really know how to expalian this but I will do the best that I can.

I always make the pax feel as comfortable as possible. But I approach it different.

I don't wear a dress shirt and tie.

I don't have the best operating car.

I don't ask for tips nor do I make them feel uncomfortable about not tipping me as they exit my vehicle.

I create small talk. Even if they don't talk much, I create conversation. Ask where they are going or if they are on their way home, I ask where they were and if they had a good time. At night, they usually have a story. I laugh with them. If they curse, I slip in a small -#-$$#(# word . You will be surprised how much this will relax them. At this point , they will continue to talk and enjoy the ride. When they leave the vehicle, if I drop them off at home, always tell them to have a good night. Bring up something from the conversation you and the pax just had. This will show that you were paying attention. Sorry to back track, but I always start off with telling them my story. How I have a couple other jobs and I do this at night on the weekends. I will tell them about a funny story or two of a previous pax from earlier that night or the day before. That leads to laughter and leads to conversation . I see uber drivers everyday with their suits and ties, snack bars full of food in their back seats , & in the end , I don't think it pays off.

I wear a T-shirt and dickies and if its 90+ degrees , I wear basketball shorts. I currently hold a 5.0 rating.

Comfort and connection is the number one key.

RainbowPlate

It's the policy of every business in the world that customers don't have to tip.
But it is NOT the policy of every company to tell customers not to tip, to omit a simple tipping feature that a competitor has used from the beginning, or to tell its workers ... sorry, its "partners" ... that they are expected to decline tips.

Of course, it is also not the policy of every company to rely on an endless stream of fools and self-loathers to agree to such terms.

UberXTampa

There is a big storm and I am picking up smelly wet riders that don't tip!

What I should do to earn a tip?

Any @@@@@@@ being picked up in this weather who doesn't have the dignity to appreciate a good service by tipping a mere dollar, is not worth a 5 star rating. I am not running a charity!

Dillanwasx

See the problem with Uber is, they have made it so known that is CC only where most pax don't even carry cash at all.

Usually, if a rider is going to tip, the rider had decided it was going tip even before you arrived at their location.

If you provide good service, and they don't tip, as far as I can tell, they weren't planning on tipping you from the beginning , regardless of how good the service was. I would think asking for a tip would even lessen the chances of a tip. I guess it's all in luck. Provide a good service and if they planned on tipping, they will. Otherwise, they won't.

That's atleast what I have found so far.

Another Uber Driver

I know for a fact if Uber determines you are taking stars off for no tipping you will be deactivated. I have two buddies now driving for Lyft because they got busted. Mark my word your time is coming if you do this asinine practice.
If your friends were one-starring all non-tippers, I could be convinced that Uber might have de-activated them for doing that. You would have to work at it, but you could convince me.

If your friends were three, four and an occasional two starring non-tippers, you would be hard put to convince me that Uber figured out that it was in retaliation for no tip.

.........not that Uber is required to give a reason for de-activation, mind you......................

UberLou

If your friends were one-starring all non-tippers, I could be convinced that Uber might have de-activated them for doing that. You would have to work at it, but you could convince me.

If your friends were three, four and an occasional two starring non-tippers, you would be hard put to convince me that Uber figured out that it was in retaliation for no tip.

.........not that Uber is required to give a reason for de-activation, mind you......................
One of them went 31 straight trips not tipped and rated them all less than 5. Out of those 3 complained to Uber about conversations with the driver about tipping. They put things together and deactivated him.

My other buddy didn't really share to many facts with me.

Another Uber Driver

One of them went 31 straight trips not tipped and rated them all less than 5. Out of those 3 complained to Uber about *conversations with the driver about tipping*. They put things together and deactivated him.

You did not mention the part that I starred. That would convince me that Uber figured it out. I might suspect that Uber de-activated him for asking for tips, but I would believe that it de-activated him for retaliating with the stars.

UberHammer

Past Sponsor
Yeah, good point. But I feel like that's always been ubers pitch. Like if a new restaurant came on the scene and their promotion was like, "no need to tip"
A restaurant could pitch that their food is so good that there is "no need for salt". It's still up to the customer to decide.

If a customer decides not to tip, that's a reflection of the customer. They're either cheap, or too easily fall for marketing. Either way, they don't deserve five stars.

UberLou

You did not mention the part that I starred. That would convince me that Uber figured it out. I might suspect that Uber de-activated him for asking for tips, but I would believe that it de-activated him for retaliating with the stars.
With all due respect I don't care if your convinced. It happened, but doesn't matter keep doing what your doing there will be less of you on the road.

I've said my peace and given my warning.

Rate the losers not the nontippers.