1. UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership.

Ratings Drive me nuts!!

Discussion in 'Lyft' started by bondad, Sep 11, 2015.

1. bondad

bondad

I drove a little on Sunday after an airport trip with Wingz. I had three Lyft rides and two of them rated me. One gave 5 stars and one gave something less than 5 stars. ALL the rating categories say "perfect". I hate their seriously flawed rating system!

Your feedback for Sep 4 - 10

-

Passenger feedback
    ★★★★★ 1 ratings

★★★★ and below 1 ratings

[​IMG] Safety
    Perfect

[​IMG] Navigation
    Perfect

[​IMG] Friendliness
    Perfect

[​IMG] Cleanliness
    Perfect

2. UberXTampa

UberXTampa

Driving:
    UberX
    I picked up a Lyft rider yesterday in a crazy rush hour traffic.
    She had dropped pin wrong.
    She rated me 1 star for traffic and for her own mistake of dropping pin in wrong place. I dropped from 4.91 to 4.88 because of this rider.

Oh My likes this.
  3. Realityshark

Realityshark

Don't look at your ratings. ...problem solved.

Scenicruiser, Huberis and KMANDERSON like this.
  4. Gretzky

Gretzky

I worry about what I can control.. I do my best to provide a ride worthy of a 5* rating, and let the cards fall where they may. I agree with the above, and do not sweat my ratings.

5. ArsenalGunner

ArsenalGunner

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    Lately, I've started giving almost everyone less than 4 stars just because I've had nothing but obnoxious morons! So far my ratings have sky-rocketed.

6. KMANDERSON

KMANDERSON

Driving:
    UberX
    I don't give a rider 5 unless it was a good ride.i which other driver would rate like that.So we know what we are getting into before we accept a ride

7. ArsenalGunner

ArsenalGunner

Driving:
    UberSELECT
    We should only give a 5 star rating if tipped, otherwise 4 stars and below. I give an automatic 1 star for being late for than 5 mins.

brhlcommish and KMANDERSON like this.
  8. Huberis

Huberis

Driving:
    Taxi
    Zero reason to rate base don tipping or lack thereof. Pax do not relate the their rating the way drivers do. They are likely to be completely oblivious to their rating. That there is absolutely no standard metric for any part of the rating system..... it means absolutely nothing in terms of trying to correct a pax's behavior. Pax are told tipping is not a part of the Uber experience. For that reason, no pax has reason to assume they were four starred for lack of tip. Also, it is doubtful that a pax has any idea what a particular driver rated them or why.

If you want to rate your pax four star for lack of tipping, there is nothing to prevent you from doing that. The biggest concern for that pracrice is that on some level, it is an example of buying into the bull**** system by which you are judged by pax in return. It is a toxic cycle.

The pax are told not to tip, encouraged to feel good about it for once. That is on Uber. Uber in turn sets rates so low, that the lack of tipping is seen as something necessary to make the work even remotely worthwhile. It is all so completely broken.

Rating pax four stars for not tipping...... do it if it makes you feel better, however, it may by way of being complicit in the game only prolong your problems, I'm not sure that is so, but it is absolutely possible and worth some thought.

9. KMANDERSON

KMANDERSON

Driving:
    UberX
    uber don't care about passanger ratings only the drivers.uber told me they don't deactivate passanger off rating only on incidents that happen with them.rating help to determine whether we want to pick them up.We need to rate them to help the next driver to know what they are getting into

10. Huberis

Huberis

Driving:
    Taxi
    There is a real problem with: "We need to rate them to help the next driver to know what they are getting into"

There is zero uniformity used by drivers with which to rate pax, just as the same could be said to be true with respect to how pax rate you.

What does it mean to choose between a driver with a 4.8 or 4.6 in actual qualitative terms? What does the difference between those two numbers suggest you should expect? Also, I notice that driver use the same threshold of 4.6 that Uber applies to them. What exactly is the basis for that? There is no reason to expect that 90% of all pax should fall at a or above a 4.6 as is the case with regular working drivers. If it works out that way it would just be a matter of dumb luck or a dumb system.

Finally, either a pax is a problem or not. Either they are good to go or not. I do not refuse customers as a taxi driver because someone is not so nice or a pain in the ass. Anyone, at the wrong time of the day or after anight on the town is going to give me the opportunity to rate them low. Tht comes with the territory. The job is about getting people home safe not some sort of popularity contest. Partly, that is the difference between being a common carrier and an Uber driver.

If someone is a problem or has been a problem for me in the past, say abusive, I can refuse them. Part of that may be because they are an ass, the two of us don't click or one of us was not at our best the last time I had them in the taxi. It is rare that I refuse a pax, I do have a couple I will not haul. However, there are other drivers who for whatever reason, they have zero problems with the person. It is all so subjective to begin with and then there is zero guideline as to what any given star in fact should mean. The fact that Uber tells tips are included and then it turns out that drivers deduct a star for non tipping pax is proof of the meaningless nature of the system.

All you have is some kind of number. The ability to rate pax and the illusion that you are somehow able to act upon your interpretation of that rating is mostly a function of the fact that as an Uber driver, you are on your own. Uber doesn't want to be bothered. The rating system means nothing, there is zero standard metric or scale.

11. UberXTampa

UberXTampa

Driving:
    UberX
    It is very difficult for pax to have a rating of 4.6 or lower.
    If there is a pax with such a low rating, this means there have been multiple Uber drivers experiencing something they don't like about this pax. I have to trust that rating and not take chances accepting people with very low ratings.
    I only accept 4.8/4.9/5.0mif non-surge.
    If surge is more than 2x, I will consider the pickup of a low rated pax based on the neighborhood. In a university town, I will still not pick up very low rated pax even in surge. Not only it will be a short fare, like $5.20 instead of $4.00 etc..., but also you will definitely get a 1 star.

KMANDERSON likes this.
  12. KMANDERSON

KMANDERSON

Driving:
    UberX
    All I was saying it hard for a driver to maintain all 5 stars like travis kalanick claim he does on the colber show like he really drive and know what drivers deal with.I don't rate for short our no tip rides and most driver I assume are doing the same.A driver can get bad rating for alot of reason missed turn surge.What does a passanger do they sit and get driven where they need to as long as there not an ass most driver will give them 5 stars.Its not there fault uber has minumun fare of 2.0 dollars after uber cut.So the riders you see with a 3 stars is it worth taking a gamble to find out how they are that the question

13. Are you allowed to print out a little paper and leave in the backseat to say "Please leave me 5 stars"?

14. KMANDERSON

KMANDERSON

Driving:
    UberX
    uber say no but it you car so do what you want

15. oh ok, thanks

16. Huberis

Huberis

Driving:
    Taxi
    Drives are forever *****ing about concerns over pax who rate them poorly for thing which are beyond a driver's ability to control or responsibility. Docking pax for not tipping is doing just that.

If drivers want to improve the system, they should consider a way to create a uniform standard by which all drivers would be expected to implement when rating pax. That should be done on principal. Such an effort to do so could only contribute to creating the understanding that drivers do in fact have reasonably understand a system which is rather unreasonable.

Another suggestion: Considering pax rarely look at their ratings, they mean little or nothing but obviously, drivers need to look out for themselves when it comes to who they allow in their car or how they do business. Drivers should offer another way to evaluate pax.

The idea is to do away with the star system. Stars alone mean nothing. Ever read a restaurant review? Yes they give stars, but the review always gives a detailed explanation for the rating. Even then reviews only mean so much. So, rather than give stars, drivers could be provided a series of icons to select after they drop a pax. "PPP" for poor pin placement, "CRB" for someone who cancelled once and rebooked, "TDTR" too drunk to ride", "TOTC" Toes on the curb, "Puke"........... Something along those lines. The driver app would show comments from the last ten or fifteen rides. A driver might be able to see a trend if a couple drivers mentioned "belligerent drunk", a "puke" and a "TDTR" all mentioned in the last 15 rides. That is an exaggeration, but that is the general idea. The star system is worthless. I have looked at the GATA app for taxis, it has provisions for noting if you have trouble with a pax. If you are paired with them again, the app will inform the driver that they have had trouble with them in the past.

Rather than use the rating system as punitive, drivers could use it as a means of establishing some kind of reason and order in an environment where there is thought to be none. That could make a difference.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2015
    UberXTampa likes this.
  17. gprimr1

gprimr1

You can't ask for 5 stars, but there are ways around it. I once saw a sign that said like "Uber ratings operate like most retail stores. "5 Stars=Good, 4 or Less Equals Bad" or "Uber requires all drivers to maintain a 4.7 rating. In the Uber rating system 4 stars will get a driver fired."

Basically, educating the passenger w/o asking for the 5 star.

SeattleWhereIsTheRain likes this.
  18. Waquiber

Waquiber

Driving:
    UberX
    I wish we can see passenger feedback on uber app. It sucks when you know you did everything right and you get 4.3 at the end of the day after 10-15 rides. I know rating does not matter until you get to the avg 4.6 and below, but it's good to know what you did wrong or if you just know some passenger just don't care how they rate you since they paid you so low.
    I guess that the irony of it. The you tend to look up at those the charge more side psychologically you already think you are getting better service.

Also hate those people who say they rate you 5* after you took them through a drive through, and still you get shafted.

19. DieselkW

DieselkW

Driving:
    Lyft
    If I had to guess which pax gave me less than 5* I'd go crazy trying to find where I was at fault. Just get enough rides finished so they can't hurt you anymore, then it won't make a damn bit of difference.