• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Rating - It's you!

LyftUberFuwabolewa

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hasn't happened to me but I only have 670 rides so far. And I take measures to make sure it doesn't happen. But yes, it has happened before to plenty of drivers.
So you're saying somebody lied about their name and got into an Uber that was for somebody else? Before I started saying the names religiously I had picked up a couple of incorrect riders accidentally. However since I started saying the name of the rider I have never picked up the wrong person. I have had people approach the vehicle and when I greeted them by the name of the rider, which was not their name, we realized their mistake and they searched for the proper driver

ariel5466

So you're saying somebody lied about their name and got into an Uber that was for somebody else? Before I started saying the names religiously I had picked up a couple of incorrect riders accidentally. However since I started saying the name of the rider I have never picked up the wrong person. I have had people approach the vehicle and when I greeted them by the name of the rider, which was not their name, we realized their mistake and they searched for the proper driver
You've gotten lucky. Have fun dealing with it when your luck runs out.
Post automatically merged:

I can't believe people this clueless are out driving strangers around for money. They have no concept of the basic mechanics at play.
Especially someone with 4700 rides. I have 670, yet I'm here explaining bare bones basics? People really need to do their own research, this is just sad.

stpetej

Well at least we know the first one who gets it. When the revolution begins.

Driver. I prefer Poland Spring ,, not this knock off garbage you have back here!

I do hope you haven’t purchased these mints in the Dollar Store!!
Serious question about the "water and mints" approach. Assuming water is supposed to be cold, where, exactly, does one fit even the smallest cooler? My car holds 5 human beings. Am I to say "Sorry, your 3rd friend has to stay on the sidewalk, oh but would you like some water in a bottle which lie in a dump for thousands of years after we've both died and gone to that great Hub in the sky?" Or, "I'm terribly sorry, you cannot take all your luggage to the airport because I have a cooler in the trunk"?

No problem with the mints as I have leftovers from 8 Halloween's ago. But the water thing mystifies me.

LyftUberFuwabolewa

You've gotten lucky. Have fun dealing with it when your luck runs out.
You still haven't answered the question. So you're saying I'm going to greet the rider by name, and it's not the name of the person, but they're going to pretend it is, and get into a car to get a free ride to an unknown destination? Is this really what you're saying?

This saying "what's your name" thing to me feels a lot like asking "who's your daddy."

ariel5466

Serious question about the "water and mints" approach. Assuming water is supposed to be cold, where, exactly, does one fit even the smallest cooler? My car holds 5 human beings. Am I to say "Sorry, your 3rd friend has to stay on the sidewalk, oh but would you like some water in a bottle which lie in a dump for thousands of years after we've both died and gone to that great Hub in the sky?" Or, "I'm terribly sorry, you cannot take all your luggage to the airport because I have a cooler in the trunk"?

No problem with the mints as I have leftovers from 8 Halloween's ago. But the water thing mystifies me.
Keep it simple. Don't give out water or mints. The only amenity I offer is charging cord that works with both iPhones and Androids and I have a 4.95 rating.

You still haven't answered the question. So you're saying I'm going to greet the rider by name, and it's not the name of the person, but they're going to pretend it is, and get into a car to get a free ride to an unknown destination? Is this really what you're saying?

This saying "what's your name" thing to me feels a lot like asking "who's your daddy."
Yes, obviously, I am saying that. It happens. And you don't have to make asking their name weird. I keep my doors locked, roll down a window, smile, say "Hi! I'm Ariel, what's your name?" It's super rare they have a problem with it. If they do, I cancel and move on.

LyftUberFuwabolewa

Keep it simple. Don't give out water or mints. The only amenity I offer is charging cord that works with both iPhones and Androids and I have a 4.95 rating.
yeah I think both Uber and Lyft have stopped encouraging customers to expect water and mints. When they start giving me a budget for that kind of stuff I will start carrying it.

I also think they no longer tell customers to expect an aux cord either. Issues with riders playing vulgar music and expecting the volume full blast has resulted in a lot of complaints.

rkozy

I had a crackhead try it once. She got into my car, didn't tell me her name, and just thought I'd drive her somewhere.

I told her to get out. She wouldn't at first. It took calling the cops to get her out of my car. Luckily, she did just before I hit "SEND" on my phone.

UberBeemer

I've been driving for 11 months and have 4700 rides. I'm not the most senior guy here but I didn't start yesterday.

Now that that's out-of-the-way. My rating always seemed to bounce between 4.92 and 4.93. Not bad, and well in the safe zone for not being deactivated for low rating.

But I wanted to get my rating up. Uber pro is in a bordering market and I'm hoping that soon it will be in mine. I want to have a high rating to take advantage of those benefits when they come.

I've always kept my car super clean I drive exremely safely. I don't follow close behind other cars and I am smooth on the controls. No jackrabbit starts or panic stops. I'm a very good navigator and very very rarely make a wrong turn. Yet my rating always stayed where it was. I didn't understand why anybody thought my service was less than five stars.

Then I realized where I could improve was my attitude and presentation. I began making sure I greeted each passenger with a smile while making eye contact. I greet them by name and introduce myself. Then I ask them how they're doing, or a more pertinent question based on where I pick them up or taking them to. Then if there's no additional conversation, initiated by them, I leave it at that. Uber shouldn't need to add a feature to tell the driver that the rider wants a quiet ride. The driver should be able to pick up on that.

So far my experience has been way fewer down ratings, my rating is going up. and more tips. It's pretty simple right? Just think about the kind of waitress that you really want to tip, versus the one who regardless of her service turns you off with her style and people skills.

I think if people like you they won't hold things beyond your control against you such as traffic, and they'll even be more forgiving of small transgressions such as a missed turn etc.

I recently took a rideshare ride out of necessity and the driver I got was a lot like the way I used to be. His car was clean and nice smelling. There was nothing wrong with his driving. I felt safe and I was confident in his ability and manner of driving.

However, he didn't make eye contact or greet me very nicely when he got in the car. I said his name, introduced myself, and asked him how he was doing. His reply was more like a grunt. I felt I was playing the role he should have. He didn't say a word during the trip. At the end of the ride when he bit me farewell it was the same.

I gave him five stars and felt he deserved it. But if someone asked me to rate him on his congeniality I would not have given him five stars. If a driver like that gets someone who easily gives low ratings, is mad about the traffic, or just had a bad day at work and needs to kick the dog they're much more likely to get a lower rating.

Sometimes you just hit it off with the rider and you have a great conversation the whole way and at the end you get a nice tip. They can't all be that. But it shows the forces at work. The more the rider feels that you are pleasant and compassionate the more likely they're going to be sympathetic to you.
Everyone has to find their equilibrium in this gig. If yours is as you describe, then i bow in respect. If another feels that you are going too far above and beyond, i respect that as their choice.

Bottom line, do what it is that makes this job work for you, be proud of your choice, as it is your own.

There is nothing wrong with wanting higher ratings. There is nothing wrong with not caring beyond whether it is getting too low.

Do, or don't do. Just own your path and respect the other's ownership of theirs.

stpetej

I had a crackhead try it once. She got into my car, didn't tell me her name, and just thought I'd drive her somewhere.

I told her to get out. She wouldn't at first. It took calling the cops to get her out of my car. Luckily, she did just before I hit "SEND" on my phone.
I usually pretend the call has gone through.

O-Side Uber

In his view, he already believes it is the correct passenger, and is simply putting the passenger's mind at ease by saying their name. You're right that it's a mistake because the passenger is verifying nothing, but he sees it as a proactive measure to make sure the passenger feels safe.

Basically, this whole crap about pax getting in the wrong car is entirely on the passenger. If they can't read a simple license plate, they probably can't be trusted with a great many responsibilities in life.

That is the downside to a good conversation with a passenger. It sure makes the time fly on a long trip, but it can also overwhelm your ability to pay attention to Job #1, which is driving.

It is simply breathtaking how these passengers expect a full-scale livery service for their eight-block journey to Taco Bell.

Personally, I blame Uber and Lyft for making passengers think they are entitled to limousine luxury at Wendy's Dollar Menu prices. I also blame the overzealous Ant who is trying to impress Uber/Lyft with a 100% acceptance rating and an unblemished 5* rating.

As if Uber/Lyft is going to give them a raise after their next review.

I’m some markets it’s so slow due to driver saturation, you can’t b
Until it happens to you and you have to deal with it, when it's very easy to prevent in the first place. What's stopping a random person from getting in the car and saying they changed their mind, can you take them somewhere else? And then you ask them to change the destination in their app and they say their "friend" requested the ride for them? This is rideshare 101. But hey, you do you.

I think it’s ok for female drivers to take added precautions. For me , it was a hassle to ask who the driver name is. They would always look perplexed and things would get awkward. Now when I think it’s them, I just loudly say their name, and they say yes or no. No one that I’ve mistaken for my PAX has felt compelled to get in my car 🤔

Fozzie

I've been driving for 11 months and have 4700 rides. I'm not the most senior guy here but I didn't start yesterday.

Now that that's out-of-the-way. My rating always seemed to bounce between 4.92 and 4.93. Not bad, and well in the safe zone for not being deactivated for low rating.

But I wanted to get my rating up. Uber pro is in a bordering market and I'm hoping that soon it will be in mine. I want to have a high rating to take advantage of those benefits when they come.

I've always kept my car super clean I drive exremely safely. I don't follow close behind other cars and I am smooth on the controls. No jackrabbit starts or panic stops. I'm a very good navigator and very very rarely make a wrong turn. Yet my rating always stayed where it was. I didn't understand why anybody thought my service was less than five stars.

Then I realized where I could improve was my attitude and presentation. I began making sure I greeted each passenger with a smile while making eye contact. I greet them by name and introduce myself. Then I ask them how they're doing, or a more pertinent question based on where I pick them up or taking them to. Then if there's no additional conversation, initiated by them, I leave it at that. Uber shouldn't need to add a feature to tell the driver that the rider wants a quiet ride. The driver should be able to pick up on that.

So far my experience has been way fewer down ratings, my rating is going up. and more tips. It's pretty simple right? Just think about the kind of waitress that you really want to tip, versus the one who regardless of her service turns you off with her style and people skills.

I think if people like you they won't hold things beyond your control against you such as traffic, and they'll even be more forgiving of small transgressions such as a missed turn etc.

I recently took a rideshare ride out of necessity and the driver I got was a lot like the way I used to be. His car was clean and nice smelling. There was nothing wrong with his driving. I felt safe and I was confident in his ability and manner of driving.

However, he didn't make eye contact or greet me very nicely when he got in the car. I said his name, introduced myself, and asked him how he was doing. His reply was more like a grunt. I felt I was playing the role he should have. He didn't say a word during the trip. At the end of the ride when he bit me farewell it was the same.

I gave him five stars and felt he deserved it. But if someone asked me to rate him on his congeniality I would not have given him five stars. If a driver like that gets someone who easily gives low ratings, is mad about the traffic, or just had a bad day at work and needs to kick the dog they're much more likely to get a lower rating.

Sometimes you just hit it off with the rider and you have a great conversation the whole way and at the end you get a nice tip. They can't all be that. But it shows the forces at work. The more the rider feels that you are pleasant and compassionate the more likely they're going to be sympathetic to you.

Coachman

It’s not what you say, it’s how you make them feel.

Having said that, the only way to make them all feel good is to give them everything they want. Let them smoke in your car. Let them drink beer. No child seat required. Load all their groceries in the rain while they sit in your car. Let them crank the radio ALL the way. Let them eat. You’ve got 9 riders? Sure, no problem, everybody pile in. Let them trash the car. Let them puke. When they get demanding, bow down and say “yes sir.” Tell them “no tip required.” And don’t forget to smile while you’re prostrating yourself in your own car. BE the floormat. Really get down there. Bend over and take it gracefully. Set an example for all the other ants.

You can do it.
Now GO!
I don't know where you guys get all these horrible riders, unless you're driving the drunk shift.

Almost all of my riders are very respectful.

jgiun1

You brought this topic up before. Under Uber Pro, you won't get any further "benefits" by increasing your rating up from the 4.92.
What do you think you'll get by raising your rating to 4.98?
You're overthinking this. This may be your job, but to your customers, they only want to get from Point A to Point B. They get out of your car and move on with their lives. They don't spend a whole lot of time thinking about the ride they just had with you.
I fully agree about providing good service, but if you're doing it to get Uber Pro benefits, you're going to be extremely disappointed.
Agreed dude

Amsoil Uber Connect

The problem is, You worry to much about your rating.

Uber and Lyft are masters at the term, "Physiological Warfare" and a lot fall for it.

Why do you think they support illegal immigration ?

So good luck with those extra perks. Will they really pad your bottom line earnings ?

Last edited:

Coachman

The problem is, You worry to much about your rating.
I've had quite a few jobs in my life. And at every one you could find people who couldn't care less about the quality of the job they were doing. I never understood that.

When you go to a steakhouse, you expect your steak to be cooked perfectly the way you ordered it, right?

Fozzie

I've had quite a few jobs in my life. And at every one you could find people who couldn't care less about the quality of the job they were doing. I never understood that.

When you go to a steakhouse, you expect your steak to be cooked perfectly the way you ordered it, right?
If I go to get my car washed, it doesn't matter if the car wash guy is wearing a tee shirt and shorts, or a coat and tie. (and, in fact, it's preferable that he be dressed more casual) If the same level of job performance is provided, what difference does it make outside of creating unrealistic and misleading appearances and expectations?