• UberPeople.NET - Independent community of rideshare drivers. It's FREE to be a person and enjoy all the benefits of membership. JOIN US! CLICK HERE

Rating - It's you!

LyftUberFuwabolewa

I've been driving for 11 months and have 4700 rides. I'm not the most senior guy here but I didn't start yesterday.

Now that that's out-of-the-way. My rating always seemed to bounce between 4.92 and 4.93. Not bad, and well in the safe zone for not being deactivated for low rating.

But I wanted to get my rating up. Uber pro is in a bordering market and I'm hoping that soon it will be in mine. I want to have a high rating to take advantage of those benefits when they come.

I've always kept my car super clean I drive exremely safely. I don't follow close behind other cars and I am smooth on the controls. No jackrabbit starts or panic stops. I'm a very good navigator and very very rarely make a wrong turn. Yet my rating always stayed where it was. I didn't understand why anybody thought my service was less than five stars.

Then I realized where I could improve was my attitude and presentation. I began making sure I greeted each passenger with a smile while making eye contact. I greet them by name and introduce myself. Then I ask them how they're doing, or a more pertinent question based on where I pick them up or taking them to. Then if there's no additional conversation, initiated by them, I leave it at that. Uber shouldn't need to add a feature to tell the driver that the rider wants a quiet ride. The driver should be able to pick up on that.

So far my experience has been way fewer down ratings, my rating is going up. and more tips. It's pretty simple right? Just think about the kind of waitress that you really want to tip, versus the one who regardless of her service turns you off with her style and people skills.

I think if people like you they won't hold things beyond your control against you such as traffic, and they'll even be more forgiving of small transgressions such as a missed turn etc.

I recently took a rideshare ride out of necessity and the driver I got was a lot like the way I used to be. His car was clean and nice smelling. There was nothing wrong with his driving. I felt safe and I was confident in his ability and manner of driving.

However, he didn't make eye contact or greet me very nicely when he got in the car. I said his name, introduced myself, and asked him how he was doing. His reply was more like a grunt. I felt I was playing the role he should have. He didn't say a word during the trip. At the end of the ride when he bit me farewell it was the same.

I gave him five stars and felt he deserved it. But if someone asked me to rate him on his congeniality I would not have given him five stars. If a driver like that gets someone who easily gives low ratings, is mad about the traffic, or just had a bad day at work and needs to kick the dog they're much more likely to get a lower rating.

Sometimes you just hit it off with the rider and you have a great conversation the whole way and at the end you get a nice tip. They can't all be that. But it shows the forces at work. The more the rider feels that you are pleasant and compassionate the more likely they're going to be sympathetic to you.

IthurstwhenIP

So after less than one year you have hyper analyzed the pax psychology for profit hah!

I have two years on you buddy, and literally wrote the video on how to increase tips and ratings using statistically valid pax observations.

Some of my highest ranked videos on YouTube

Uber Master: Optimum radio equalizer settings for passenger comfort
Uber Master: Why science says only provide yellow M&Ms for best tips
Uber Master: Seat coil density to ensure a comfort badge
Uber Master: How to scientifically over complicate the easiest gig in the world

LyftUberFuwabolewa

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Uber Master: xxxxxxxxxxxx

Wow, you call yourself "Uber Master". That's not egotistical.

So you say you have to do the job for a long time before you can understand the psychology right? So I guess if I did Uber for years and years and got to be where I could understand the psychology of Uber, but then I went to work at McDonald's, I'd be back at square one right? I have to work there for as many years as you before my opinions matter.

Now I get it. Thanks I'll just bow down to you from now on and keep my opinions to myself, OK?

Illini

You brought this topic up before. Under Uber Pro, you won't get any further "benefits" by increasing your rating up from the 4.92.
What do you think you'll get by raising your rating to 4.98?
You're overthinking this. This may be your job, but to your customers, they only want to get from Point A to Point B. They get out of your car and move on with their lives. They don't spend a whole lot of time thinking about the ride they just had with you.
I fully agree about providing good service, but if you're doing it to get Uber Pro benefits, you're going to be extremely disappointed.

LyftUberFuwabolewa

You brought this topic up before. Under Uber Pro, you won't get any further "benefits" by increasing your rating up from the 4.92.
What do you think you'll get by raising your rating to 4.98?
You're overthinking this. This may be your job, but to your customers, they only want to get from Point A to Point B. They get out of your car and move on with their lives. They don't spend a whole lot of time thinking about the ride they just had with you.
I fully agree about providing good service, but if you're doing it to get Uber Pro benefits, you're going to be extremely disappointed.
It seems like on this topic there's two categories Uber drivers. Once you care about the ratings and others who say don't even look at it. I think caring is a good thing if it leads you to improve your quality of service.

I also think the things you learn increasing your quality of service while driving Uber you can apply to any job or any human interaction.

Uber pro might not make much of a difference, but it's difficult enough to stay busy that I'll take any edge I can get.

ariel5466

You'll be able to take advantage of Uber Pro if your trading is 4.85 or higher. If you're in the 4.9s, there's no reason to care about making it higher.
I totally agree about being friendly, personable, and likeable with pax. But some people will give you a low rating just because they can.

I greet them by name and introduce myself.
This is a rookie mistake. If you say both their name and your name, how do you verify that you have the correct passenger?

O-Side Uber

So after less than one year you have hyper analyzed the pax psychology for profit hah!

I have two years on you buddy, and literally wrote the video on how to increase tips and ratings using statistically valid pax observations.

Some of my highest ranked videos on YouTube

Uber Master: Optimum radio equalizer settings for passenger comfort
Uber Master: Why science says only provide yellow M&Ms for best tips
Uber Master: Seat coil density to ensure a comfort badge
Uber Master: How to scientifically over complicate the easiest gig in the world

This job has gotten easier for me and less draining since I’ve stopped trying to begin conversations in hopes for a tip. I greet them and confirm destination. Then I say, “Great!! Let me know if you need anything!” Boom 💥 conversation over. Kindly bid them a farewell upon exit. Easy Peazy! If they are bored and want to talk to me they will. I finally got over the awkward silence and realized how draining it is to talk with EVERY pax. Plus it’s distracting as hell... I’ve missed some turns while in deep convos with PAX. Bottom line! My rating is 5*!! Turns out most pax don’t really want to talk either

rkozy

This is a rookie mistake. If you say both their name and your name, how do you verify that you have the correct passenger?
In his view, he already believes it is the correct passenger, and is simply putting the passenger's mind at ease by saying their name. You're right that it's a mistake because the passenger is verifying nothing, but he sees it as a proactive measure to make sure the passenger feels safe.

Basically, this whole crap about pax getting in the wrong car is entirely on the passenger. If they can't read a simple license plate, they probably can't be trusted with a great many responsibilities in life.
Post automatically merged:

Plus it’s distracting as hell... I’ve missed some turns while in deep convos with PAX.
That is the downside to a good conversation with a passenger. It sure makes the time fly on a long trip, but it can also overwhelm your ability to pay attention to Job #1, which is driving.

For .605 a mile the pax should be happy the doors work on the car
It is simply breathtaking how these passengers expect a full-scale livery service for their eight-block journey to Taco Bell.

Personally, I blame Uber and Lyft for making passengers think they are entitled to limousine luxury at Wendy's Dollar Menu prices. I also blame the overzealous Ant who is trying to impress Uber/Lyft with a 100% acceptance rating and an unblemished 5* rating.

As if Uber/Lyft is going to give them a raise after their next review.

Last edited:

ZenUber

It’s not what you say, it’s how you make them feel.

Having said that, the only way to make them all feel good is to give them everything they want. Let them smoke in your car. Let them drink beer. No child seat required. Load all their groceries in the rain while they sit in your car. Let them crank the radio ALL the way. Let them eat. You’ve got 9 riders? Sure, no problem, everybody pile in. Let them trash the car. Let them puke. When they get demanding, bow down and say “yes sir.” Tell them “no tip required.” And don’t forget to smile while you’re prostrating yourself in your own car. BE the floormat. Really get down there. Bend over and take it gracefully. Set an example for all the other ants.

You can do it.
Now GO!

LyftUberFuwabolewa

I make sure they're the right person by their name. If they're going to lie about their name and get a free ride to an unknown destination that's not a problem I'm worrying about.

ariel5466

I make sure they're the right person by their name. If they're going to lie about their name and get a free ride to an unknown destination that's not a problem I'm worrying about.
Until it happens to you and you have to deal with it, when it's very easy to prevent in the first place. What's stopping a random person from getting in the car and saying they changed their mind, can you take them somewhere else? And then you ask them to change the destination in their app and they say their "friend" requested the ride for them? This is rideshare 101. But hey, you do you.

LyftUberFuwabolewa

You will worry about it when the pax who actually did order the ride and was left stranded reports your mistake to Uber.
So you're saying I'm going to say the writer's name and somebody else who is not the writer, somebody with a different name, is going to say yes that's me, get in my car and take a ride to an unknown destination? Has this ever happened to anyone?

ariel5466

So you're saying I'm going to say the writer's name and somebody else who is not the writer, somebody with a different name, is going to say yes that's me, get in my car and take a ride to an unknown destination? Has this ever happened to anyone?
Hasn't happened to me but I only have 670 rides so far. And I take measures to make sure it doesn't happen. But yes, it has happened before to plenty of drivers.

rkozy

What's stopping a random person from getting in the car and saying they changed their mind, can you take them somewhere else? And then you ask them to change the destination in their app and they say their "friend" requested the ride for them? This is rideshare 101.
This driver seems to think the random person who lied to get a free ride in his car will give him five stars once he is dropped off. Unless the random person has also stolen the phone of the actual passenger, this won't end well.

The actual passenger isn't going to be too happy that they were just charged for a stranger's joyride. It's pretty safe to say that a 1* and an angry call to Uber customer support will be coming shortly.

I can't believe people this clueless are out driving strangers around for money. They have no concept of the basic mechanics at play.

That's why you make the passenger tell you their name. If they don't know their own name -- or guess the wrong one -- then they don't belong in your car. Period.

But, have fun explaining your system at a Green Light Hub some day.

Last edited:

stpetej

I've been driving for 11 months and have 4700 rides. I'm not the most senior guy here but I didn't start yesterday.

Now that that's out-of-the-way. My rating always seemed to bounce between 4.92 and 4.93. Not bad, and well in the safe zone for not being deactivated for low rating.

But I wanted to get my rating up. Uber pro is in a bordering market and I'm hoping that soon it will be in mine. I want to have a high rating to take advantage of those benefits when they come.

I've always kept my car super clean I drive exremely safely. I don't follow close behind other cars and I am smooth on the controls. No jackrabbit starts or panic stops. I'm a very good navigator and very very rarely make a wrong turn. Yet my rating always stayed where it was. I didn't understand why anybody thought my service was less than five stars.

Then I realized where I could improve was my attitude and presentation. I began making sure I greeted each passenger with a smile while making eye contact. I greet them by name and introduce myself. Then I ask them how they're doing, or a more pertinent question based on where I pick them up or taking them to. Then if there's no additional conversation, initiated by them, I leave it at that. Uber shouldn't need to add a feature to tell the driver that the rider wants a quiet ride. The driver should be able to pick up on that.

So far my experience has been way fewer down ratings, my rating is going up. and more tips. It's pretty simple right? Just think about the kind of waitress that you really want to tip, versus the one who regardless of her service turns you off with her style and people skills.

I think if people like you they won't hold things beyond your control against you such as traffic, and they'll even be more forgiving of small transgressions such as a missed turn etc.

I recently took a rideshare ride out of necessity and the driver I got was a lot like the way I used to be. His car was clean and nice smelling. There was nothing wrong with his driving. I felt safe and I was confident in his ability and manner of driving.

However, he didn't make eye contact or greet me very nicely when he got in the car. I said his name, introduced myself, and asked him how he was doing. His reply was more like a grunt. I felt I was playing the role he should have. He didn't say a word during the trip. At the end of the ride when he bit me farewell it was the same.

I gave him five stars and felt he deserved it. But if someone asked me to rate him on his congeniality I would not have given him five stars. If a driver like that gets someone who easily gives low ratings, is mad about the traffic, or just had a bad day at work and needs to kick the dog they're much more likely to get a lower rating.

Sometimes you just hit it off with the rider and you have a great conversation the whole way and at the end you get a nice tip. They can't all be that. But it shows the forces at work. The more the rider feels that you are pleasant and compassionate the more likely they're going to be sympathetic to you.
No! Don't kick the dog! Dogs are nice. "Wanna go for a ride?" makes them happy; always ready. They don't expect you to load their luggage (just a water bowl and toy). Dogs don't assume you can fit 19 of their very best friends into your car. They don't get drunk or fiddle with your audio system. And you get sloppy kisses as opposed to no tip.