Random Thoughts while Driving

dauction

A Couple of Random Thoughts while driving yesterday..please add yours

After eating a couple of pieces of fatty fried Fried Chicken and Mac&Cheese..becoming a bit gassy

Brain: Wouldn't it be cool if you had some sort of hole with a release valve

A semi Passed me yesterday.. a flatbed with no load. I suppose he felt free without a load. a couple miles up the road came to a 4 way stop

BRAIN: You should get out of your car, wave to traffic while pissing on his rear tire

MHR

I did deliveries yesterday so all I thought about was what was I going to eat when I was done.

Pizza. Maybe. Oh wait, those enchiladas smelled really good. Or maybe you want a soup and sandwich ’cause that broccoli cheese soup looked good when they were bagging it up. No, no, I've got it, KFC because that smelled the best, yes that's it. Hold up a minute...this Chinese food definitely smells the best. Yes, that's definitely it. Oh, what's this? Burger and fries.

And so it goes...all day long.

So what do I finally decide on? Well I can't make up my mind so I go home and never eat because by then I'm too tired to cook. :frown:

Benjamin M

I did deliveries yesterday so all I thought about was what was I going to eat when I was done.

Pizza. Maybe. Oh wait, those enchiladas smelled really good. Or maybe you want a soup and sandwich ’cause that broccoli cheese soup looked good when they were bagging it up. No, no, I've got it, KFC because that smelled the best, yes that's it. Hold up a minute...this Chinese food definitely smells the best. Yes, that's definitely it. Oh, what's this? Burger and fries.

So what do I finally decide on? Well I can't make up my mind so I go home and never eat because by then I'm too tired to cook. :frown:
Yep! That's me every day delivering. Finally settled on smoked salmon on water crackers at around 10pm.

RideShare_Hustler

Rice cakes and bananas 😄

dauction

That too, when not occupied with what I want to eat.

And as a female I have to find a real restroom, one that's open to the public and clean. That's a very tall order nowadays.
I'll bet, as Men, we can when all else fails we can pee on our back tire and make it look like we are checking out a flat tire

:laugh:

Christinebitg

I have to find a real restroom, one that's open to the public and clean. That's a very tall order nowadays.
I figure that restrooms will be available about the time when I think it's safe to drive for people again.

Since I'm over 65 and have never done deliveries or Eats, I'm guessing the timing will work out for me. It doesn't hurt that I'm still collecting some unemployment.

On the other hand, I got my second vaccination shot this week, so who knows? (I'm in the AstraZeneca study.)

Probably should wait until I get a flu shot too. Influenza Type A kicked my butt pretty hard back in March. Yes, I had a lab test that said that's what it was.

Another Uber Driver

i have to piss like a racehorse

One of the advantages of living in a Big City with many parks and woods is...................................................

I'll bet, as Men, we can when all else fails we can pee on our back tire and make it look like we are checking out a flat tire

There is a Boudreau and Thibodeaux joke related to that. It is inappropriate to post it on this board.

dauction

On the other hand, I got my second vaccination shot this week, so who knows? (I'm in the AstraZeneca study.)
Blind Study Christine? Are you able to tell if you are getting the vaccine or placebo?

That's pretty cool to be in the Study. Looks like AstraZeneca vaccine is having good results as well.
Post automatically merged:

There is a Boudreau and Thibodeaux joke related to that. It is inappropriate to post it on this board.
Must be very inappropriate if you cant post it on here ! :biggrin:

dauction

How do you know that during a double blind ongoing trial?

Does that mean the placebo is having good results as well?

Like I said it "LOOKS" like they are having Good results​

Oxford coronavirus vaccine produces strong immune response in older adults​

RESEARCHCORONAVIRUSCOVID-19 VACCINE
The ChAdOx1 nCov-2019 coronavirus vaccine, developed by teams at the University of Oxford, has been shown to trigger a robust immune response in healthy adults aged 56-69 and those over 70 years of age. The data, published today in The Lancet, suggest that one of the groups most vulnerable to serious illness, and death from COVID-19, could build immunity.
Our vaccine work is progressing quickly. To ensure you have the latest information or to find out more about the trial, please visit the Oxford COVID-19 vaccine web hub or visit the COVID-19 trial website.
Older adults have been shown to be at higher risk from COVID-19 and should be considered to be a priority for immunisation should any effective vaccine be developed for the disease. Reporting on data from a Phase II trial of the ChAdOx1 nCov-2019 vaccine, the authors write that volunteers in the trial demonstrate similar neutralising antibody titres, and T cell responses across all three age groups (18-55, 56-79, and 70+).
During the Phase 2 trial the vaccine has been evaluated in 560 healthy adult volunteers aged between 18-55 years, 56-69 years and aged 70 or over. Volunteers received 2 doses of the vaccine ChAdOx1 nCoV-19, or a placebo MenACWY vaccine. No serious adverse health events related to ChAdOx1 nCoV-19 were seen in these volunteers.
These data are consistent with the Phase I data reported for healthy adults aged 18-55 early this year.
Dr Maheshi Ramasamy, Investigator at the Oxford Vaccine Group and Consultant Physician said:
‘Older adults are a priority group for COVID-19 vaccination, because they are at increased risk of severe disease, but we know that they tend to have poorer vaccine responses.’
‘We were pleased to see that our vaccine was not only well tolerated in older adults; it also stimulated similar immune responses to those seen in younger volunteers. The next step will be to see if this translates into protection from the disease itself.’
For most vaccines, older adults do not exhibit as strong a response as younger adults, and vaccine-induced antibodies commonly display a lower protective capacity. The data reported today are particularly promising, as they show that the older individuals in this study, who are more prone to serious illness and death from COVID-19, are showing a similar immune response to younger adults.
Dr Angela Minassian, Investigator at the University of Oxford and Honorary Consultant in Infectious Diseases said:
‘Inducing robust immune responses in older adults has been a long-standing challenge in human vaccine research.’
‘To show this vaccine technology is able to induce these responses, in the age group most at risk from severe COVID-19 disease, offers hope that vaccine efficacy will be similar in younger and older adults’.
Furthermore, the vaccine was less likely to cause local reactions at the injection site and symptoms on the day of vaccination in older adults than in the younger group., demonstrating that assessment of the efficacy of the vaccine is warranted in all age groups.
The Phase III trials of the ChAdOx1 nCov-2019 vaccine are ongoing, with early efficacy readings possible in the coming weeks.

Taxi2Uber

Like I said it "LOOKS" like they are having Good results​

COVID-19: Difficult trade-offs in AstraZeneca vaccine development​

The Oxford vaccine ChAdOx1 is seen as a promising candidate to combat COVID-19. But critics believe that research is going too fast and that risks could be being played down. What is true about the accusations?

In October 2020, there were more than 200 coronavirus vaccine candidates in development worldwide. Of these, nine are considered by observers to be favorites because their development is well-advanced and they are now in phase III or in a combined phase II/III human study.
One of the vaccines that has attracted particular attention is the so-called Oxford vaccine ChAdOx1. The vaccine from biotechnology company Vaccitech was developed by the British-Swedish pharmaceutical company AstraZeneca in collaboration with the University of Oxford and is also known as AZD1222.

Immune response in older adults and young people
The Guardian, quoting unnamed developers, reported on 27 October that the latest research suggests the vaccine "produces an immune response in older adults as well as the young".
The paper added, however, that "neither Oxford University nor its commercial partner AstraZeneca would release the data from the early trials showing the positive effects, which are being submitted to a peer-reviewed journal". It also said that AstraZeneca shared its findings at a recent closed academic meeting.

Accelerated examination by EU
The European Medicines Agency (EMA) has already started a review of AZD1222. It is the first time this has been done in the European Union for a coronavirus vaccine.
In view of the urgency of the current situation, the review is being conducted under an accelerated procedure. To save time, the authority is checking the test data while it is still being collected. Usually, tests have to be completed first, with all results then being presented to the EMA at once.
Under the current procedure, it is conceivable that the vaccine could be released just a few days after the end of the tests — if the authority is convinced that it is efficacious and safe. However, the EMA has so far declined to say how long the review and evaluation will take. It says only that tests with thousands of volunteers are underway and that the results are expected in the next "weeks and months."
Risky advance orders
Although it is not yet clear whether the vaccine will be approved in the end, numerous governments, including that of Germany, have already preordered tens of millions of vaccine doses. And AstraZeneca has already entered a binding agreement with the Serum Institute of India to produce at least 300 million doses.
For the governments that have ordered the vaccine, but also for AstraZeneca itself, this preplanning is an economic gamble. If the vaccine is ultimately approved and the manufacturer can then bring large numbers of vaccine doses onto the market at an early stage, considerable profits could be made. But the risks of not obtaining approval are also enormous.
Attacks by critics
Critics like the Austrian health ecologist Clemens Arvay are seeing all this as confirmation of their belief that the powerful pharmaceutical industry, backed by sponsors like Bill Gates and with tacit political approval, wants to bring the vaccine onto the market at any cost in pursuit of these profits. Arvay, who is a biologist and runs a YouTube blog, argues that in the process, it is ignoring due medical caution and putting the health of the public at risk.
He backs up his argument with a number of points: The active substance did not create sufficient protection against infections in the preclinical phase in primates and was nevertheless approved for a combined phase I and II trial. In this phase there were severe side effects: fever and a decrease in white blood cells (neutropenia). Despite this, the vaccine was approved for phase III. And now there has been a serious incident in phase III, with one patient ending up suffering from transverse myelitis — but research continues.

Is the vaccine even effective?

In his criticism, Arvay draws on the opinion of experts like the prominent US geneticist and molecular biologist William A. Haseltine. In May, Haseltine had expressed doubts about the effectiveness of the vaccine in an article in Forbes. He wrote that he had been disappointed by the results of the preclinical phase, in which the vaccine was tested on animals.
But Prof. Becker has a different interpretation of the results of this study, which was published as a preprint on BioarXiv and in Nature.
The vaccine was first tested on mice, and later on macaques. Becker says the study demonstrated that all mice showed a reaction after vaccination, with the animals producing three desired forms of immunity. "They had both a neutralizing titer and an ELISA titer. And it seems that the T-cell response also works," he says.
He sees the tests with macaques as having produced similar results. "Here you can see that the animals also go up in the ELISA titer after a single vaccination and have a neutralizing response and a T-cell response as well," he says.
After being vaccinated, the animals were infected with the coronavirus. The study shows that they had a reduction in viral load in the nasal swabs. The reduction in viral load "was not so marked" in the lung swabs, Becker concedes. But he says that this is not enough to conclude that the vaccine does not work — especially in view of the fact that the combined phase I/phase II study in humans showed that 91% of those vaccinated developed specific antibodies after a single vaccination, and a whole 100% after the second vaccination.
Influenza-like side effects
Arvay's second criticism focuses on side effects recorded during the vaccine tests, in this case flu-like symptoms, which about 70% of the vaccinated test persons had developed temporarily, as well as a high fever of over 38 degrees Celsius.
Stephan Becker also thought that was quite a lot. "But if it subsides quickly, it is acceptable to say: This is not a serious side effect — in the sense that it is not prolonged. One would say: 'This side effect is directly related to the administration of the vaccine and has quickly subsided.'" In such cases, he says, it has to be weighed up whether the risk for patients outweighs the protection they receive against a coronavirus infection.
He says it is always important to check whether such a vaccination can still be used safely on those who are particularly at risk from COVID-19, i.e., older people and those with previous illnesses.
Temporary decrease of white blood cells
One in 10 participants in the phase I/phase II study underwent blood monitoring and it was found that the neutrophils, types of white blood cells, had temporarily decreased in 46% of these people.
According to Arvay, this neutropenia is an indication that the immune system is weakened by the vaccination. In his opinion, it was not justified to go on to phase III.
Becker agrees that the proportion of test persons in whom this was observed is considerable, because neutropenia occurs much less frequently with many conventional vaccines. But he says there are also always exceptions.

Thanks, though, for quoting the company doing the study, to find out if their work is showing good results. :roflmao:
Seems like a reliable source.:roflmao:
So, do you also ask President Trump about President Trump?

Last edited:

Benjamin M

:laugh:
That is exactly what my Dad did after prostate cancer. Except he was "looking for something" in his car, even if he was in the faculty lot 😂

Remember as kids, the quick stop on the shoulder to pee? Both doors open for a buffer or run into the woods 😂
Post automatically merged:

I figure that restrooms will be available about the time when I think it's safe to drive for people again.

Since I'm over 65 and have never done deliveries or Eats, I'm guessing the timing will work out for me. It doesn't hurt that I'm still collecting some unemployment.

Probably should wait until I get a flu shot too. Influenza Type A kicked my butt pretty hard back in March. Yes, I had a lab test that said that's what it was.
Eats is on the rise again and it isn't all that bad. Totally transparent regarding the duration of the trip, payment, miles, pick up, and destination.

But I totally understand why you are off the road.

Fun fact, I was born premature and clinically dead. A doctor in the NICU suggested that I not be vaccinated immediately, my Mom was a bit of a hippie and it never happened - until I enrolled in an EMS program. MMR and Hep B.

Those vaccines, plus my first tetanus shot a few weeks ago (at 38), kicked my ass. Why? Because a developed immune system reacts HARD the first time around.

Definitely pro vaccine but also understand why some have a bad experience. And I do wish I was vaccinated as a child, glad I wasn't as a newborn - just because I was clinging on.

Last edited:

Christinebitg

Blind Study Christine? Are you able to tell if you are getting the vaccine or placebo?
Yes, it is a double blind study. There is no way to know with certainty whether I got the vaccine or the placebo. However...

I did have a significant reaction to the first injection. Since the placebo in the U.S. study is sterile saline solution, I believe that I got the vaccine and not the placebo.

Also, again just speaking for the U.S. study, 2/3 of the participants receive the vaccine, and 1/3 get the saline solution.

Benjamin M

Yes, it is a double blind study. There is no way to know with certainty whether I got the vaccine or the placebo. However...

I did have a significant reaction to the first injection. Since the placebo in the U.S. study is sterile saline solution, I believe that I got the vaccine and not the placebo.

Also, again just speaking for the U.S. study, 2/3 of the participants receive the vaccine, and 1/3 get the saline solution.
Kudos on participating on the study and also understanding the double blind study - lost on many.

I'm hoping that the majority of the population will be vaccinated soon. Herd immunity will prevail.